Notices

Better before attempting recovery?

Old 10-31-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Old 10-31-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for your replies and esh.

My mind is going on overload now, so I think I'll reply later when I've had a little time to digest all that has been written here. I don't know what I think at this point in time, except that I don't want a drink today. I'm scheduled to be at a Halloween party in a few hours, but I'm not going. I have to say that, to convince my alcoholic mind that I'm not doing that today, and maybe I'll appreciate it tomorrow. I'm trying to convince myself to go to an AA meeting tonight, but there is a dance afterwards, which makes me think of drinking, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe just go, then scoot after the meeting, before the dance.

Thanks all.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I'm trying to convince myself to go to an AA meeting tonight, but there is a dance afterwards, which makes me think of drinking, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe just go, then scoot after the meeting, before the dance.
Oh go to the meeting and the dance. See how much fun you can have without a drink. I am sure there will be goodies to eat and some will probably even be in costume. You might actually have some fun, lol Won't know if you don't check it out.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 10-31-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Dallas....

Go to the dance... Many times for me, the best part of the meeting is before and after. It gives me a chance to get to talk to other AAs. Lot's of good stuff gets spoken. You may have an opportunity to scout a sponsor... or just begin to develop a support group.

As I understand a support group is just a bunch of guys (or gals) who tend to get together... on a social basis.... or call one another.... they are there for each other. You can't get a group going for yourself if you only go for the meetings....

So think about, it may mean the difference for you!

Mark
Old 10-31-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought you'd appreciate this Dallas

It is not necessary to change.
Survival is not mandatory.

W. Edwards Deming
Do something different this time, ok?
D
Old 10-31-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Ok Laurie and Mark, of course you're both right, so now I've got to polish my dancing shoes, and see what happens, you never know, could be tons of fun. Now, what kind of costume, oh I know, I'll just were my levis with holes in the knees, a ragged shirt, smear some dirt on my face and act like the drunken bum I've felt like for years, I'm a shoein for first place for authenticity, lol.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

great Dallas.you know,when i went to AA this time (i tried 4 yrs ago) i picked myself up by the boot straps and really was prepared to go to any lengths this time,i had an honest desire.i threw in everything i had.i decided that my way hadnt worked (DOH) and maybe,just maybe these folk that looked genuinly happy,had jobs,family etc may just know what they were talking about! i got a sponsor pretty quick and got on the steps and i cannot put into words how i feel these days Dallas,life is just marvelous,i feel like i have a secret if you know what i mean? im delighted you decided to go to the dance.i went to a convention when i first got sober and danced,it was a little uncomfortable,but i knew i had to try different things.ive been to a couple of sicial events recently and danced and actually enjoyed it! give it your all,take suggestions,and the more you dont like them the better they will be for you! just do as you are told! lol,,,,,we are here for you also Dallas.i wish you well my friend.let us know how the meeting and dance went.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Charmie,

Well, the meeting was good and I enjoyed the dance. A lady stepped up to me and asked me to dance, which was quite flattering, so I did, and didn't stumble, step on her toes, or trip on the way to the dance floor, (which was really just the middle of the room, with the chairs moved out into a circle), lol. It was fun, and I danced a couple times, then ate some cake w/coffee (of course), and left for home before the drunks got out of the bars, lol. It was a nice way to spend Halloween.

On to day two.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Good, you got a chance to see that there can be 'fun and enjoyment' without alcohol. More and more of these types of things will occur which will help you I hope.

I am glad you enjoyed yourself!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 11-01-2009, 04:54 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Awesome!!
Old 11-01-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Dallas,
Glad you are back shipmate! If you ever wanna talk offline about this stuff please feel free to PM me
Old 11-01-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Old 11-01-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Awakening...

We love you firestorm, and that's why we are here for you.