Notices

handling the Christian alcoholic

Old 09-11-2003, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

handling the Christian alcoholic

How can I get help for my husb. professing Christian..cannot get through a day without many drinks.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.We have an excellent Al Anon forum here for the families and friends of alcoholics.There is some good reading at the top of the Al Anon page in the FYI posts.And there are some very friendly and supportive people who understand what you are going through.Please feel free to introduce yourself there.

Hugs

phoenix
Old 09-11-2003, 10:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Red,

Welcome to SR. Glad you found us. Phoenix gave you some good advice to visit our alanon forums. There you will ge the help you need for you. It's very hard to help an alcoholic stop drinking if they have not deided it is what they want to do. If your husband has in fact asked you for help, like to get him into a detox center, there are many resources on this web-site that can direct you to an appropriate program.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some Resources for Christian Alcoholics

Originally Posted by red714
How can I get help for my husb. professing Christian..cannot get through a day without many drinks.
I have written quite alot about Christians and alcoholism. Quite a bit of it is on the web here - Christian Recovery Library

There's another excellent database on the web for finding help in your area for both you and your husband - Christian Recovery Ministries Database

-- Michael
Old 12-10-2004, 12:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A note on Christian Recovery Ministries

It is a pay site, requiring paid membership, dues running from $10.00 to $500.00 per month so you can get info on where to get help, not the help itself.

As an alcoholic and an addiction counselor I pass that info out for free.

BubbaBob
Old 12-10-2004, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ama

Addiction crosses all religious boundries - doesnt matter whether or not one deems to be Christian or otherwise. AA uses the concept of a higher power to circumvent any religious affiliation. The ""AA"" recovery programme is free too and it works for those who work it!!!!!! It is working for me!!!! Luvs Ama
Old 12-10-2004, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BubbaBob
It is a pay site, requiring paid membership, dues running from $10.00 to $500.00 per month so you can get info on where to get help, not the help itself.

As an alcoholic and an addiction counselor I pass that info out for free.

BubbaBob

I think you are seriously mistaken!

The first link is for free resources at Alcoholics Victorious .

The Recovery Ministries Database at Christians in Recovery is also FREE - along with over 2,000 pages of additional free information and resources!

Christians in Recovery, Inc. is a nonprofit organization - no one is making money off the site. The "Members Only" part of the web site is only there to maintain a private area where people can get involved with daily support group meetings via chat and participate in an actual online community for believers who are in recovery. Dues only help to underwrite the costs associated with providing this service - sort of like the way we pass the basket at AA meetings to help support the local group and World Headquarters!

-- Michael
Old 12-10-2004, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Two things...

1. I've never seen dropping a dollar in the basket required at any meeting.

2. A dollar at a meeting is one thing...dues ranging from ten to five hundred a month for online meetings/chat is disgusting.

BubbaBob
Old 12-10-2004, 02:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by BubbaBob
1. I've never seen dropping a dollar in the basket required at any meeting.

2. A dollar at a meeting is one thing...dues ranging from ten to five hundred a month for online meetings/chat is disgusting.

BubbaBob
Well... I do appreciate your misgivings.

Most of the people who are involved with Christians in Recovery join at the basic $10.00 a month level because they want to be a part of supporting a worthwhile service that has been helpful to them and to others.

Many, many people who are not financially able to subscribe are given scholarships and participate at no cost.

The $500 level that seems to bother you so much is totally for people who have the means to provide support so others, who cannot afford it, can get scholarships.

AA clubs need money to pay the rent, buy coffee, provide literature, and keep the lights on. Christians in Recovery is a "vitual" equivalent.

Internet hosting, web programming and development, software programs, computer equipment, etc. cost money. How would you propose paying for all this? There's no other organization behind CIR - it's supported solely by its members and their dues and donations.

The funds have to come from somewhere. Seems to me that responsible recovery means those who benefit most from the services ought to share in its upkeep - as well as pitch in so that those who cannot afford to can participate, as well.

-- Michael
Old 12-11-2004, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smile A Christ centered recovery programme

My greatest support has been through Celebrate Recovery, a Christ centered 12 step programme, similar to AA but acknowledging Jesus as our higher power.

Attached is an URL for the global locations of Celebrate Recovery. Your husband would benefit from having people of like mind who are also struggling with hurts, habits, and hangups of all varieties, including alcohol dependency.

May God reveal His will to your husband in such a way that he can no long deny his need for help.

Let me post the 12 steps with their Biblical comparisons.

We admitted we were powerless over our addictions and compulsive behaviour. That our lives had become unmanageable.
"I know that nothing good lives in me that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it our"- Romans 7:18 NIV

Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
"For it is God who is at work in you to will and to act according to His good purpose."
- Philippians 2:13 NIV

Made a decision to turn our life and our will over to the care of God.
"Therefore, I urge you brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God. This is your spiritual act of worship."
- Romans 12-1 NIV

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
"Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord."
- Lamentations 3:40 NIV

Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being, the exact nature of our wrongs.
"Therefore, confess your sins to each other, and pray for each other, so that you may be healed."
- James 5:16a NIV

Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
"Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up."
- James 4:10 NIV

Humbly asked Him to remove all our shortcomings.
"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."
- 1 John 1:9 NIV

Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
"Do to others as you would have them do to you."
- Luke 6:31 NIV

Made direct amends to such people whenever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
"Therefore, if your are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother, then come and offer your gift."
- Matthew 5:23-24 NIV

Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
"So if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!"
- 1 Corinthians 10:12 NIV

Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
"Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly."
- Colossians 3:16a NIV

Having had a spiritual experience as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others, and practice these principles in all our affairs.
"Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you may also be tempted."
- Galatians 6:1 NIV