Notices

OT! Fiber One granola bars! LMAO!

Old 09-19-2009, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

OT! Fiber One granola bars! LMAO!

Oh, my. Folks, please do yourself a favor and never eat Fiber One granola bars, unless you like extremely uncontrollable flatulence. Here is a message I sent to the company regarding my experience:

The granola bars were tasty, but dang I got an extremely bad case of flatulence after consuming only one bar. Oh, the stomach pain. If I didn't know any better I'd swear I was about to start my period. I couldn't believe the amount of gas. I'd sit on the toilet and fart for five minutes, finish wiping and then fifteen minutes later I was back on the pot for another round. Shoot, didn't you guys test these things before putting them out on the market? At the very least someone should put a warning on the box.
And here was the response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are concerned to hear of the experience that you reported having with Fiber One oats and chocolate granola bars.

Because food quality is a primary concern at our company, we are very interested in discussing this situation with you. It is extremely important that we gather more information regarding your experience.

Please call us toll-free at: 1-800-***-**** during our hours of operation from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CT, Monday - Friday. Retain any remaining product and/or packaging you may have, and refer to the following reference number when you call:

We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and appreciate this opportunity to reply to your concerns.

Thank you

Last edited by Bamboozle; 09-19-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm sorry that happened to you, but thanks for sharing. I really needed a good belly laugh today!
Old 09-19-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

lols I can't believe you sent them that very graphic comment..lmao, hilarious! So..you gonna call to discuss your *experience* further?? LOL
Old 09-19-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Probably. Too bad all the packaging already took a trip to the landfill. I didn't expect a reply from them.

They might tell me it's the excessive fiber intake. I've eaten plenty of things with high amounts of fiber and never had a reaction to this magnitude. My mom makes these, uh..."poop" muffins when she's trying to diet...and those things have oodles of fiber. I can eat several of those in a sitting and be fine.

If I can compose myself enough to actually talk to someone on the phone about this....I can't wait to hear the response.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Been doing some reading...might be the type of fiber. Inulin.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The question remains...are you going to call them to discuss it?
Old 09-19-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I'll try. I'm not very good at talking about something like this without laughing.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah, but I have a feeling the person on the other end of the conversation will be having the same problem.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Check to see if it has 'sugar alcohol' or 'sorbitol' in it.

Some people (I am one of them) have a reaction exactly as you mentioned.

When I see 'sugar free' I have to be sure it doesn't contain sugar alcohol or sorbitol. This substance can create gas to 'balloon up' inside and cause pain very much like that indicating appendicitis.

I read the labels very carefully.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you Bamboozle. I have been eating Fiber One bars for months now and honestly thought I had IBS or worse Colon cancer. My experience is even worse than yours; laught all you want.

It is difficult to read all the ingredients as there must be 40+ of them. I did notice however they contain chocolate liquor which I hope is baked or cooked out.
I will never eat these again and many many thanks. Back to fresh fruit.

Oh, and I recently read this online: Not good for alcoholics...

Ethanol?? ETHANOL???? Seriously…ethanol. I used that stuff all the time as a solvent, under a fume hood in Organic Chemistry Class, and I would never think of purposely pouring it into my body in any amount. Go ahead look at the label on a Fiber One Bar. This is the chocolate one. Pay attention now, it’s right after the lengthy lists of sugars and fats and before shellac. Also note, there is more chocolate than oats in these babies.

Ingredients
Chicory Root Extract , Chocolate Chips with Confectioner Shellac , Chocolate Chips , Sugar , Chocolate Liquor , Cocoa Butter , Dextrose , Milk Fat , Soy Lecithin , Ethanol , Shellac , Hydrogenated Coconut Oil , Rolled Oats , Crisp Rice , Rice Flour , Sugar , Malt , Salt , Barley Flakes , High Maltose Corn Syrup , High Fructose Corn Syrup , Sugar , Canola Oil , Honey , Glycerin , Maltodextrin , Palm Kernel Oil , Tricalcium Phosphate , Soy Lecithin , Salt , Nonfat Milk , Peanut Oil , Cocoa Processed with Alkali , Natural Flavor , Baking Soda , Color Added , Almond Flour , Peanut Flour , Sunflower Meal , Wheat Flour , Mixed Tocopherols Added to Retain Freshness
Old 09-17-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FXM11 View Post
Thank you Bamboozle. I have been eating Fiber One bars for months now and honestly thought I had IBS or worse Colon cancer. My experience is even worse than yours; laught all you want.

It is difficult to read all the ingredients as there must be 40+ of them. I did notice however they contain chocolate liquor which I hope is baked or cooked out.I will never eat these again and many many thanks. Back to fresh fruit.
No worries on the "chocolate liquor." It's just another form of chocolate and involves no alcohol. Baking 101: Chocolate lingo : Alive

Sounds like the other issues are plenty bad enough!!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks honeypig. I guess I didn't read far enough down on the list of ingredients.

Ethanol?? Alcoholics 101
Old 09-17-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ya know, FXM, I am gradually eating less and less processed food b/c WHO KNOWS WTF IS IN IT????

Guess this thread makes me even more determined to stick to apples and bananas!

Thanks for a great big laugh to the OP!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

My kid ate 4 of them in a row once without me knowing. She was about 13 at the time. Needless to say she didn't make it to school the next day.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am guessing it is the Chicory root extract, if you typically do not consume that. Google it and the reactions some have to it. Basically, what you describe. I also get the belly bloat and pain from the sorbitol in a larger quantity. Once I got a sugar free, fat free soft serve ice cream, and was so ill from it! I had run into a friend there, and she got the same thing. we were bot dieting, so we were each chucking to see each other at the ice cream stand and both had chosen the FF/SF cones. next day we also shared a chuckle about how it gave both of us that belly ache! And I had the runs too, sorry if TMI.

Anyway, sorry you had that experience with the Fiber One product, but it was a very funny letter and response! But really, to a company like that, food intolerance is an important matter. If you can talk without giggling, lol.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

And sugar is in there twice(unless it is a typo), as well as 3 other sugars(high maltose corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and honey)!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you had me in stitches. Years ago, I had a similar incident- I could have propelled myself to the moon on my own butt rocket from drinking Slim Fast Shakes... thx for the laugh