Notices

Peaceful / Frantic / Peaceful / Frantic

Old 09-14-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

Peaceful / Frantic / Peaceful / Frantic

Hi. Is it normal to be very peaceful and calm - somewhat even confident in your new sobriety and then all of a sudden out of nowhere feelings of doubt come rushing into your mind? The day is going along so well then something happens and you starting thinking to far into the future and then fear grabs you and makes you think there is no way you can do this forever? I was able to battle my moments of fear today. I am thankful and grateful for it. I am hoping to learn something about future battles. Today I simply got stern with myself and just said NO! I also just tried to focus on today and told myself tomorrow will take care of itself - no is the answer for today!

Does anyone find themselves talking way more to themselves than ever before? What is really scary is that sometimes I say "we". LOL. Maybe I mean my wannabe sober half and my wannabe a drinker half. Not sure.

Anyway... It is nice to have a place to share a thought or two or three...

I hope everyone has a great evening and an even better tomorrow. I plan to pray daily for every single person in this forum!!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yes

If you are new to sobriety it is normal for all kinds of crazy moods to come at you out of nowhere. Alcoholism is a condition of your brain, it effects various chemicals and creates pathways. This is a biological and behavioral thing we're talking about here.
Also, when we're drinking we are not coping with lifes ups and downs. I think we forget how to. I would get yourself to a meeting every day, meet a few good sober people. Find a service position. Find a GOOD sponsor.

Your right where you should be!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

Thanks, preta. I am running through an exercise I found in a book every time I want to or think I want to drink. I ask myself, "what is really going on? You can't drink! So, what is it that you're feeling and why do you think you can't handle it or don't want to?"

It has really helped with soul searching. I don't allow little kid answers either. (e.g. I don't know?) I am tough on myself. I tell myself I am made in the image of God and that I am full of emotions and real feelings. This may sound cliché, but it is like I am allowing myself to be human by addressing the gamut of emotions that go from sad/fear to elated/happy - even those middle of the spectrum emotions of content/bored. I tell myself that these are your feelings how should you handle them. How would I tell a loved one to deal with them?

I know recovery is a process and I am looking at this as a process to getting back to being a fully *feeling* and *dealing* human being and addressing each feeling as it arises.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tammy, that happened to me too, in early sobriety.

What I had to understand, is that feelings are just feelings. I had allowed myself to be controlled by my emotions for so long. I had to accept that feelings could come and go, and they didn't have to overwhelm me. Maybe you can try to notice the feeling and acknowledge it, and then just let it go and carry on. And, journalling can also help. I am sporadic with that and would like to become more regular with my writing, but it does help to get things out.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tammi!

I kinda think sobriety is like opening the floodgates...we kept everything dammed up for so long...it takes a while for the outpouring of emotions to find their 'level'...

and that's not even counting the 'feelings' which are produced as our mind and body heals...

Just be assured it's all very normal - keep reaching out

not sure about the 'we' stuff tho
lol I kid, I kid....

D
Old 09-15-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hi, Tammi, and yes.

I've asked that question a thousand ways in the last month or so... and it's always the same answer. I'm still going through it.

After a while, I kinda got numb to it..., realize sooner that it's one of those emotion things and not to pay it much mind.

Yeah, it's a process, that much is true.

-TB, wishing it weren't