Notices

Hello

Old 08-30-2009, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hi

I wanted to say hello as I'm new here, I'm Beckles from not so sunny England, its cold and raining, so adds nicely to my mood!

I'm starting day three of not drinking, and I can't believe how unwell I feel, have a mammoth headache, general aches and pain, the jitters, palpitations and insomnia to beat all insomnias!!!!! But one bonus of the insomnia, I did find this forum. I knew I would be rough, but this is freaky.

I've been drinking steadily for the last 3.5 years, ever since ex husband left, was allowed to do so almost, if that makes sense, most nights would involve wine or lager and at weekends both, it feels so good to get it out in the open, always felt like my dirty little secret, have told a friend today and she was really surprised, guess you would call me a funtioning alcoholic!!!!

Have been to AA, but not sure if its for me, but have doctor and counsellor support, so hopefully I will be OK.

Take care all.

Beckles
Old 08-30-2009, 04:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Beckles

Sorry you have it so rough - its pretty common though

I'm glad you found us.
This is a really great place for support and information.

Welcome to SR
D
Old 08-30-2009, 04:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Beckles! It's wonderful you found us. SR has made all the difference to my recovery. I had no one to share my secret with - there's not a single person in my life who drinks the way I did. Finding so much company here - so many understanding & compassionate friends - lifted the burden I'd been carrying.

Congratulations on getting through those first horrific days. You're about to come out of the fog into the sunshine and have a whole new life. For me, it was a challenge to feel all those emotions I'd been masking with alcohol. It's work that must be done, though, or we never grow to move past the bad times in our life. I'm sorry about your breakup and the pain it's caused you - but now it's time to rise up out of the ashes. We'll be with you on your journey.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Beckles,

I'm glad you have joined us. It's amazing how some of us think our drinking is such a dirty little secret, it keeps us seperate, ashamed, and in the bottle.

You are not alone, my friend!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 08-30-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Hi Beckles and Welcome to SR. .
Old 08-30-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Good morning and welcome to our Sober Recovery community.
Please hang on, it does get better as you begin to get better.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you all for your great words of support, have found this forum so useful, all the stories both inspriational and troubled ones have made me realise this is such a big problem for people and that slowly but surely I can get through it.

Have read a previous post about cleaning, and thought I need to do that, so all the windows are open, washing is on, and I'm playing cleaning with my children, can't be all bad hey.

Take care all.

B
x

Old 08-30-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Beckles! Welcome!

You are certainly not alone. After my (now) ex-husband moved out in 2007, my drinking levels increased. I felt I was free from him and free to do whatever I wanted, which led to excessive drinking. It led to misery in the end. I found this website in June and have found it truly helpful in getting my priorities straight and my recovery on track. I am on Day 6. Come on over to the August new sobriety group if you want daily support with us!!

Laura
Old 08-30-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well welcome to sr.

and happy bank holiday to you.

im glad your with us.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Beckles,

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome! Going through the hard stuff can serve as a reminder down the road of where we don't ever want to be again. Glad you're reaching out for support! It's so important.