Notices

weight

Old 08-18-2009, 03:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

weight

Hi folks, reading a lot of threads about alcohol, and weight gain? i did not find this, also, i hate sweet thing, i prefer savoury, my demon is wine, could that be why i prefer salty things? I am on day 2 of not drinking, am i going to balloon.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

..no..you'll be fine..
Old 08-18-2009, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You may or you may not, the decision you need to make is "Do I want to be a slim drunk or a slightly pudgy sober person?"

If your number one priority is sobriety then you will with time gain the self confidence to deal with any weight you may gain due to early sobriety. Every one is different, for me my weight stayed the same, but due to my facial swelling and my swollen liver going down in size I had folks askiing me if I had lost weight. Some folks gain weight, others lose it.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LOL, Tazman, you had it rough with a swollen liver and face! Some of me wishes I'd went that far with my alcoholism so I had some better stories.

I was just the normal average alcoholic I suppose, with a massive obsession with alcohol, the shakes, sweating, and not feeling well at all; I mean I didn't even lose my second family (though I drank my first one away)!

But that's what really makes me laugh, in AA it's not what car you drive that gives you the kudos, it's how much you wrecked yourself and your life, before getting it back together again.

It's a funny organisation, but I love it, and it works!
Old 08-18-2009, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tosh I thought I had a lopsided beer belly! Now I have an even gut! LOL

Tosh I share where I took it praying that others won't! Trust me Tosh many have taken it a hell of a lot further then I did and when I hear them share I thank God I quit when I did.

There is one guy who actually had a lady who worked at the ABC store hand him some AA literature!!! That is a good sign you have a problem when the liquor store knows you have a problem! Your family and friends do not know diddly, but the liquor store folks do!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I drank, I didn't like sweet things either. I do now. People who gain weight in sobriety are usually those who hardly ate while drinking, and that's a good thing!

Congrats in your 2 days! Oz is right. You'll be fine.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whitehorses, how do you plan to stay stopped?

I also prefer savoury to sweet and eat bags of crisps (you call them something else I think; potato slices deep fried; crispy, they come in bags) and I'm a bit of a crispoholic on the sly.

I've not put on any weight yet!
Old 08-18-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was a wino too but I always loved chocolate. When I drank I barely ate and the last year of drinking I was almost dangerously skinny; Igained weight when I quit drinking because I became addicted to chocolate but have lost most of the excess weight and yes I was MUCH happier sober and pudgy than drunk and skinny.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey whitehorses :)

As you know, everyone is different, but for what it's worth...I am only on Day 5 and I've already lost 3 pounds! And this is with eating ice-cream for the last several nights (which I do not normally do)! :O It's amazing how many calories are in alcoholic beverages X however many per night! YIKES!

I have never had weight issues...before, during or after two healthy pregnancies, but when I began drinking at night over the last 3 years I've packed on approximately 25 pounds! :O In my case, it can only get better...

I hope this helps! :)
~M
Old 08-18-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Whitehorses:
I am on day 10 myself. I was quite the wine drinker, occasionally gin as well. I quit drinking and smoking cigarettes on the same day. So, with the horrible nausea I am experiencing from detoxing, I have lost 10 lbs. Though, I needed it. I ate like a pig at night when I drank. LOL....But like Tazman said, I'd rather be a bit pudgy and sober, than slim and wasted/hung over all the time
Old 08-18-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, Tosh they are crisps to me too i am british.
Here goes i plan to stay stopped like this; i have sort of devised a daily plan, first of all i would like to say i have always been the same weight as i am now 8 and a half stone, and i have always ate well while i was drinking,( my drinking danger zone is between 6 and 10 in evening, )never drank in daytime, so always ate well then, in fact the time i did not eat was while i was drinking.
Istarted yesterday by realising i had to detox, so although this my day 2 my last wine was sun pm.
This morning i had nettle tea with one unrefined sugar in, it was quite pleasant , it is good for blood cleansing and a diuretic, skipped breakfast had 4 ryvita tomato and blue cheese at 12.3o.. had a further nettle tea, dont add milk, went shopping had a small bottle of water and a packet of crisps, cooked a slow cooker casserole before i went out so had a bowl of that just, plus another nettle tea, i am sitting here totally bloated, and i am weeing more? ( NOT AS I TYPE) my treat later is half a litre of tomato juice with worcester sauce and pepper, and i will dip some crisps in it.ill have brek tomorrow, because i am starting on Viridian multivit and mineral (one a day with breakfast) also i bought some Valerian tablets also one a day but before bed to help sleep and for anxiety .
Just basically need to cleanse the system while eating well, not had the vits or valerian before but i suppose the least agitated you are the less you will want a drink.
Also i am having a bottle of Kopperburger non alcoholic pear cider now, because as i explained in another thread, i am in my danger zone, and i need to have a glass in my hand, so non alco is helping me.