Notices

My first post here, don't know where to start.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first post here, don't know where to start.

I need a little advice. I think it's time for me to get things under control before its too late. Im your typical young male, likes to drink with his buddies. My girlfriend does not live with me, I live alone. I go to work everyday ontime, and manage my life fairly well. Everything seems to be in place.
-Problem: I like to drink. Average 8-10 beers a night during the week, and alot more on the weekends. Last night I closed two bars. My friends and family do not know how much I drink, and I would prefer it that way. I don't want to quit completely, but I understand it may need to come to that. Everytime my buddies and I hang out, we are drinking beers.
-What is a good place to start. Activities you have done, or certain foods that help. Im not to excited about going to meetings. Im just looking for some support I guess, someone to push me in the right direction. Thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

back2xr.welcome to sr.lots of wise words to be found here.sr is a great place.i cannot advise you on how to moderate your drinking,i am an alcoholic and moderation is not an option for me.you sound like you are drinking an awful lot and its starting to take up a lot of your thinking.i would suggest trying to stop all together for a little while,maybe a month? see how you feel after that,try doing things you wouldnt normally do,take up some new hobbies,or what about voluntary work? i wish you well,give the stopping thing a try,it may give you some answers.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to the Sober Recovery community.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, take some time to read the threads in this section & the alcoholism section. Congratulations on looking at this early, I wish I did when I was your age.

There are a lot of people that will support you here. Can you go a month without having a beer/drink? That it usually a good test to see if you have a problem or not. Try it & see how it goes, you have nothing to lose & everything to gain (you will also be surprised at all of the extra $$$ you have by not drinking)

Take care & all of the best

NB
Old 08-11-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Actually typical youmg men don't drink 8-10 beers a night and nmore on weekends (red flag). Maybe the friends you hang with do because problem drinkers hang with other problem drinkers (red flag). You want to moderate or control drinking (red flag). Have you experienced any personal, family, social, job, legal problems yet? You may be fine, I can't say. I know I thought I was typical and moderation was the answer, over the years I discovered I was wrong. Keep alert about what you're experiencing. Alcoholism is a primary, progressive, chronic and fatal disease if not treated. Let's hope your not one of the many millions of undiagnosed, untreated alcoholics. I can't give you moderation advice it never worlked for me during my 45 year drinking career, today I am sober as in zero drinking. My life is so much better.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome.

Here's an idea - try controlling your drinking, which is your desire/goal, and if it doesn't work then go to AA meetings.

AA is comprised of people just like YOU. I was reluctant to face them as well.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad that you found us!

Moderation didn't work at all for me, and I tried desperately to make it work. If it works for you that's great, and if not we're here to support you if you stop drinking.

My suggestion for where to start is probably not what you want to hear, but it's what worked for me. Change your activities, change where you go on weekends and who you go with. Get outside and exercise. Focus on yourself and staying sober.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello Back2XR,

:ghug2 WELCOME to SR!! All the very best with your decision about drinking! Abstinence is the "only way" for this Kitty. Good to have you with us!

Love Pancake xo
Old 08-11-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Your post reminds me of me 20 years ago (I'm 43 now). I wish I would've quit for good back then, but it took me another 20 years to get to the point where the beer started to take its toll on my body and mind.

I hope you find the answer (total sobriety) long before I did.

Best of luck!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR back2XR

I think Anna's advice is spot on - if you want to change your life you have to...change your life.

We're here to offer as much help and support as we can

D
Old 08-11-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whatever happens in your life, keep coming back here.

I have a clearer picture of pro's + con's since viewing this forum.

It makes it a hell of a lot easier.

People here don't judge you. They embrace you.

Welcome, good luck, and keep coming back.

Ben