Notices

Anyone ever get gout from drinking?

Old 08-02-2009, 04:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone ever get gout from drinking?

Doctor said it's from drinking and rick foods.
This seriously has to be the worst pain I have ever gone through.
My foot feels like it is being torn in half. I look like Egor when I walk now. On top of that, I have been walking on the side of my foot because it's impossible to walk normal. I rolled my foot over and twisted my ankle getting out of my truck and now have a bum ankle.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had gout before Jason - it's pretty painful.
No doubt your doctor has read you the riot act

I haven't had it since I gave up drinking, so it's definitely the way to go for me
D
Old 08-02-2009, 05:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jason, I have a very good friend of mine who still drinks. Love the guy, he's been a great friend to me FOREVER!! Great support to me in my sobriety and getting sober. What he does is his own business...........then the gout.

I've known him to have to ditch work on a Monday because of the incredible pain in his foot from drinking on the weekends. He enjoys his beers and he also knows what's coming when he's had too many on the weekend.

I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't be in that pain if he'd quit drinking.

I can also tell you that since I haven't drank in almost two years, I feel a H*LL of a lot better than I did when I was drinking. A lot better!!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

Yet another reason why I'm happy I don't drink!

Hope you feel better soon, it's entirely preventable in most cases
Old 08-02-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

My dad is not really an alcoholic, but I remember him saying that he couldn't drink cognac because it would aggravate his gout. When he doesn't drink, he doesn't have that problem. I hope the same applies for you! The best things happen when we take good care of ourselves. The worst things happen when we don't. I really hope you start feeling better soon.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I never had it but my dad did for years and it was painful for him.
He quit drinking 2 years ago and no longer is bothered by it.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I've had it and yes it is extremely painful . Here's an easy read about gout from Health911.com .
Old 08-02-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
Doctor said it's from drinking and rick foods.
This seriously has to be the worst pain I have ever gone through.
My foot feels like it is being torn in half. I look like Egor when I walk now. On top of that, I have been walking on the side of my foot because it's impossible to walk normal. I rolled my foot over and twisted my ankle getting out of my truck and now have a bum ankle.
Hi,

My father is an alcoholic and he has gout. He has been drinking and eating rich foods his whole life. It comes and goes, but when it's there he is in ALOT of pain. They gave him painkillers for it. It acts up alot when he drinks and uses it to drive or walks alot.

Sorry to hear about twisting your ankle. Hope you feel better!
Old 08-02-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Very painful, no problems with it since I gave up drinking though.

Sometimes I like to just pause and remember how crap I used to feel all the time when I was drinking.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Very painful, no problems with it since I gave up drinking though.

Sometimes I like to just pause and remember how crap I used to feel all the time when I was drinking.
Amen!!! It feels better to feel better.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
Alcohol certainly does not help gout. Beer especially is rich in purines -as are all grain alcohols. Plus alcohol itself seems to raise uric acid levels (it's the uric acid crystals that are causing the sharp pain).

When I was drinking, I recall looking at a very curious beer label produced by Japanese brewing company, Kirin, while at the home of a physician ... a whole group of 'em. With the understanding that many of their customers suffered from gout rather than lose them, Kirin stole a page from the tobacco industry playbook, and came out with a beer "low in purines".

Anyways, if you are drinking and are suffering from gout - I am in no way advising you to moderate it by cutting the beer or go search for "low purine" brands. Listen to your physician and cut out the booze and purine-rich foods.

When I was drinking, I had a mild sharp pain in my big toe that was a definite symptom of gout. It was only annoying and not crippling. However, when I researched the matter and actually had a friend who ended up missing one week from work due to the condition (he was only 32), I suddenly started watching my diet - particularly avoiding foods rich in purines.

Now that I have cut the booze out of my life, I don't even think about what I shouldn't or should eat anymore. I don't binge on junk food either mind you.

If you're in severe pain, I think you need to go back to your physican for treatment. There is a whole range of available treatments.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I never got the goute but a man who used to live in the house had and it was rough. It wasnt the limp or the pain that was the worst part of it. The smell was horendeous.

What makes it worse is cider, red wine and seafood.

My strong advice to anyone diagnosed with it is to quit drinking altogether as it is smtg that will lose you a lot of business and friends.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eddie73 View Post
The smell was horendeous.
Smell?? There is no odor at all. My foot is swollen and hurts bad but no odor at all.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

He must have started to skip showering so. thats probably what the smell was, sorry.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
mergirl

My mom gets it, first in a foot, then it moves to both wrists so bathing becomes a problem. She hasn't quit drinking or changed her diet. It plagues her often.

It amazes me that alcohol can cause so much pain someone can not lift their glass to their mouth, and they will grab a straw.