Notices

are alcoholics born to be alcoholics???

Old 08-01-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
But in A.A., we go into the path of recovery and spirituality with a question; maybe I'm an alcoholic, maybe I'm not. We also do this yearly when we go through the work again and take a "regular" inventory.
This sounds like members of AA do an annual inventory as to whether they are still an alcoholic or not, this is not the case Jules before you pick up on this one;-) Well not any members i have ever talked to anyway!
Old 08-01-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I would say it is 6 of one and a half-dozen of the other.

At any rate, why waste time hunting down the snake that bit you. It is safer to focus on getting the antidote.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Because I'll have some concincing evidence to pass on to my kids who may be delusional in thinking that they have it under control.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:54 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
There again, in A.A., real alcoholics are not alcoholics because of a situation. If that's the case, then once my situation gets better and settles down, I can drink normally.

How in duck's sake did this turn into a "real" vs. "fake" alcoholic thread? I need one of those slamming smiley off-of-the-wall icons the size of Texas.

My situation is getting better. Do you want to know what will happen if I drink again? I'll go back down the sh!thole. It's happened before...it can most certainly happen again. I don't need to be a member of AA to know how addiction and depression works on me...and I don't think new members should get false hope that they will be able to drink normally again after reading these kinds of statement. I know that if I had encountered that when I first came here I would not be sober today...and I would not have stayed at SR.

Can we please call a truce? Can we at least keep this out of the Newcomer's section? Anyone?
Old 08-01-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
...and I don't think new members should get false hope that they will be able to drink normally again after reading these kinds of statement. I know that if I had encountered that when I first came here I would not be sober today...and I would not have stayed at SR.
What are you saying? That your troubles are NOT of your own making?

You're misunderstanding my post. I'm saying that my alcoholism is NOT due to my "situation" or my "circumstances".

You're saying that anyone with an experience outside of your opinion causes newcomers to drink.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:10 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Use your imagination, folks. This graphic is the size of Texas:

Old 08-01-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

The inherited vs acquired debate has interested me for years, in several areas. I've recently taken to quoting this: "Genes are for risk, not for destiny," Dr. Enoch Gordis, director of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. (2007) here

Each person's genetic makeup is comprised of generations upon generations of ancestors - I bet there's a high chance most people have an addict somewhere in their family tree. There's no way to change that. We might as well work with what we have; along with genes, we have also been granted with potential
Old 08-01-2009, 10:57 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Use your imagination, folks. This graphic is the size of Texas:

Go ahead and pound your head into a wall Bam. And you can go down to Texas to do it too. You owe me an appology for implying that I told newcomers to drink.

And Dee74, you should see that too. I was ruling out "situational drinking" as a way to control your drinking. No harm no foul is right.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:41 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

So it is agreed then, our genes do in fact make us predisposed to alcoholism/addictive behaviour but also our choices, enviroment and conditioning are factors as to extent that these inherited traits will affect our lives.

Well done everyone,we got there in the end!