Notices

early signs of alcoholic dementia?

Old 07-29-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

early signs of alcoholic dementia?

i have just joined the aa meets and have had no drink for nearly 2 weeks now but i read something on the internet that really shook me to my core.

ALCOHOLIC DEMENTIA

i have noticed for some time now that when i type on the pc i look at words and spell them wrong. i have always been great at spelling even at school but just lately i can visualise a word eg. what. when i type it i type it wrong. eg whta. im a 1 finger typer and not too quick. this has happened regular for about 6 months now and i have thought nothing of it.

i was searching alcoholics on the internet and saw this dementia and look up the link. i was really shocked at what i read. im 38 next and reasonably healthy. i have a very mind active job so im guessing this shouldnt affect me.
dementia list an early tell tale sign of repeating questions within a short space of time but being unable to recollect the 1st instance of asking the question. this event has clearly happened to me within the past 3 months on 2 clear occasions.

my dad came to visit and his sister, my aunt, had secretly flown over from ausrtalia to visit him. when he was at my house i already knew he has seen them within a few days of visiting me. i asked him,"have your heard off aunt and uncle since they came over?". "no " my dad replied. "just when they surprised me the other day." a few seconds passed and i repeated the question. my dad looked at me and told me i had just asked him that question. i couldnt for the life of me recollect that conversation. i looked at my wife and she confirmed i had asked that question jusr seconds before. i laughed it off and continued the conversations.

the 2nd time was just before dinner in the evening. i asked my wife what she fancied to eat for dinner. she said she wasnt too bothered . i asked her the same question within seconds again. i couldnt recollect asking her anything.

im really worried that my long term drinking has affected me this way. i wasnt drinking hard spirits but regular beers alot and regular.

do you thinmk i have anything to worry about or was this just a coincidence/

i hadnt been drinking on the 2 occasions mentioned

dandare
Old 07-29-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you need to talk to your dr about your concerns and ask lots of questions to him. Hopefully that will ease your mind.

Also, alcohol is alcohol and doesn't make any difference whether it's beer, wine or spirits.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Anna is correct talk to your Dr.

Now without giving medical advice, I can say it happened to me and many others I know, and I can say that as we stayed sober, learned how to LIVE SOBER and got on with our lives, our brains did build new pathways to overcome the ones the alcohol killed.

Most important though, talk to your Dr.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing as we do care very much.

Love and hugs,
Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate to the mis-typing of words. Never did that when drinking, but been sober for over 3 months, and do it sometimes........
Old 07-29-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

Yep talk to your doc.. we do a LOT of damage to ourselves in active addiction/alcohol dependence. Some reversible.. some not.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

I too would be concerned and see my doctor about it. It may have to do with something else and not because of drinking.

The only time I did this is when I was smashed and it annoyed the tar out of everyone.
Since I quit drinking it has not happened since.
It could be that you just have too much on your mind with your job and all.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, my short term memory came back but I still have little moments of numbness in my feet and fingertips. No diabetes, so I assume it's some lingering damage from the alcohol.

Think of it this way. It took awhile to get to your quitting point and it'll take awhile to come back to "normal". Just keep at it.

Way to go on two weeks! That's great!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was a mad fool for diagnosing myself on the internet too - I gave it up - I feel much healthier for it LOL.

Pls talk to your Dr, Dan - they're the only ones who can really set yr mind at rest right?