Notices

Hi, I'm Tryingforhim

Old 07-28-2009, 11:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
You're right. You were honest with your doctor who asked you if you wanted to quit, and then prescribed you sedatives that you're still taking along with the alcohol.

I didn't see this as a good result, but maybe it is for you.

Carry on Good luck.
When you put it that way I guess. He gave me something mild to take the edge off and told me to cut back but not quit cold turkey and referred me to an addictions counselor.

And actually I gained the weight BEFORE I went to see him. Not since. I also don't take these pills on a regular basis in fact I rarely take them at all and ESPECIALLY not on nights that I drink heavily.

You sure make a lot of assumptions but thanks for the luck.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Originally Posted by Tryingforhim View Post
See that's a bit of an issue with me. My Dad went to AA and I used to go with him sometimes. I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't believe in God and it's kept me from trying the AA thing because they really seem to push it.

Again, I'm sorry if I offend anyone.
Your "issue" appears to be more than what you have mentioned.
i did not mention God or A.A. in the words i used within my post.

You could stop fighting and start surrendering if you want to
find a new way to live and begin recovering on a daily basis!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tryingforhim View Post
I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't believe in God and it's kept me from trying the AA thing because they really seem to push it.
You don't offend me in the least. I walked into AA as a staunch atheist who felt that belief in a higher power was at worst a means of social control and at best a quaint crutch for the weak minded who couldn't face life on their own.

I recovered by having a spiritual awakening as the result of taking AA's 12 steps.

I did this because I was unable to go on living as I had been. I was willing to go to lengths I really didn't want to go to in order to stop drinking.

What I found, when I sought out an AA member that talked of a spiritual solution to alcoholism, was that he didn't care one bit about my lack of belief in a god. He cared about what step I was on. He cared about showing me a path that would relieve my obsession with booze. He cared about helping me recover for good and all.

I find that the solution based meetings that stay in the Big Book and the Steps generally have no issue with what you personally believe. They are there to show you a common solution that works for alcoholics.

Last edited by keithj; 07-28-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The common solution, tryingforhim, is abstinence. Alcohol is eating away at your life and if you are anything like me your soul. I didn't quit drinking until my son was 17...he saw what no child should have to see...can I change the past? Hell no...but I can ensure with my present behavior that his future and mine are healthy and alcohol free. I wish you all the best.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tryingforhim

Welcome to SR.
There are many different programs to choose from.

Here's a link to some of them.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html

I hope you find some suggestions and ideas here at SR that help you quit for good

Good luck!
D