Notices

Drinking dreams?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams?

Hi everyone. I'm back again after awhile away. I attended an inpatient rehab and will have 90 days on Wednesday.

Now for my question, Do you have drinking dreams? Do they ever go away?

Since getting sober I rarely remember my dreams, but I often remembered them when drinking. I'm not sure if its some change in the brain, or i'm just getting older.

I've only had two drinking dreams since I left rehab. One was on Saturday night and it was awful. When I woke up I was so scared I relapsed and was waking up out of a blackout, which I had frequently when drinking. In the dream I had gone to a get together with people from work, then the next thing in the dream was that my mom had to come pick me up, I had drank a bunch of vodka (which in real life I never drank), threw up all over someones car and was blacked out the whole time and didn't remember doing.

When I woke up, it was so real that I had to look around, run my tongue over my teeth and feel my face (which is what I always did when coming to out of a blackout).

It was so real and scary that I couldn't sleep for hours. i'm so frightened that i'm going to relapse.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

4 months sober I have them all of the time but the funny thing is they are usually about not drinking, this part is new to me in this sobriety.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams are very common in early sobriety. Just search here you'll find lots of threads on it. Don't let it bother you.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

I have them..

My counselor had a good theory about it, mine were horrifying. He told me just to view them as reminders of what happens if we go back to our old ways, without actually doing it. I have come to appreciate it.. keeps me in check, every time I wake up and realize how much better I'm living my life now. Scares the sh!t outta me too!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rockstar

I quit smoking over 4 years ago and still get dreams that Ive smoked again. They're so vivid that I wake up mad at myself for the first 5 minutes. I wouldn't worry
Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fairly frequently
Old 07-27-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
I have them..

My counselor had a good theory about it, mine were horrifying. He told me just to view them as reminders of what happens if we go back to our old ways, without actually doing it. I have come to appreciate it.. keeps me in check, every time I wake up and realize how much better I'm living my life now. Scares the sh!t outta me too!
That's what I think too.

I haven't smoked dope since December 31, 1987... and two nights ago I dreamed that I smoked dope. When I woke up I was grateful.

Consciously, I have zero (0) interest in smoking dope, no desire at all.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes i have vividly dreamt about getting drunk. When you wake up the relief is immediate. I dunno why we do dream about drinking but its not a reason to give into it.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No, they did not last long for me.
Nor did they happen each night.
Perhaps 6 months?

I take a mental inventory each night
to clear my head of the days events.
I also pray before I sleep.

Well done on your progress....