Notices

Am I not alone?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Debs~
I was 28 when I first came to terms with my alcoholism. The first months were the worst in that I had to learn how to live all over again and I did often feel very lonely. But eventually I met new people who didn't drink and had much more enjoyable ways of living life. I think that the younger you are when you come to terms with this, the better chance you have of healing your body and recovering your will, strength and purpose.

SR has been a great life saver for me (literally) on more than one occasion. I hope you'll keep checking it out.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Faerie

Debs, I'm 27 too and am a codeine addict. I have only just admitted I have a problem, found this website and started weaning myself off.

I have met so many beautiful, wise and caring people here and you have/will too.

I believe that you can regain control over your life just as I am learning to regain control over my own. It's not easy but with determination and support it can be done.

You can do it Sister,

xx
Old 07-29-2009, 12:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a lot older than 28, and I'm very late to this thread LOL.

But, nah, you're not alone Debs.

This place has saved my life too.
Stick around.

D
Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Alone, oh yes, I've felt very alone. I've sat on here on Friday nights in the chat room just to keep myself from going to the beer store! And, having been raised by an extremely religious mother who does NOT believe in drinking AT ALL, I felt like such a failure. At everything actually. Seems that nothing I do ever is enough.

Some of you had parents that supported you, emotionally I am talking about. Some of us had parents that seemed to attack and break you down every chance they got. Mine was the second set. Somehow, I think I eventually thought that I just could not do anything right, and that mentally set me up to self-destruct. And that is what I did there for a while, I self-destructed.

But, we're on the right path now!!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel. I am 28 and have thought the same thing as you. What we need to realize is that we have probably crammed as much alcohol into our bodies as most do in an entire lifetime. You are not alone, and we are all in this together!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Debs I know the feeliing of being alone all to well, the last 5 years of my drinking were done alone in my garage to where I would not have to listen to my family gripe about my drinking.

For a very long time I felt alone and hopeless, in the end I saw a doctor, went through medical detox, there I began to see I was not alone in my alcoholism, there were others like me in detox of all ages.

When I really realized I was not alone was in the rooms of AA, here I found both men and women from 15 years old all the way through 80+ years, they were black, white, hipanic & asian, rich and poor, lawyers, a preacher, busiiness people, construction workers, students, etc., there were aethiest, agnostics, Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc.

In the rooms of AA I am no longer alone, I have made sober friends, real friends, people who are very happy in helping me and each other stay sober and enjoy being sober.

I found SR which is an awesome place after I had been sober and going to AA for several months. If you find that SR alone is not enough for you to stay sober and lose that feeling of being alone I would suggest checking out some face to face recovery programs such as AA.

Why be alone in your recovery when you can have some real face to face folks you can go out with that are sober and understand what you are going through.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Debs,

I felt desparately alone when I stopped drinking.

And, I was. I had given up my activities, lost my friends and my family was tired of me. All I can tell you, is that there is hope, lots of hope. Things can and will get better for you in recovery.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I understand your feeling of being all alone. I often feel like that. Like I'm a prisoner in my own mind, fighting a battle no one else can see. SR helps me a lot, just to know that many others have fought and are still fighting that same battle.

I'm glad you're here, part of the family!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

hi debs i'm 24 and have a lot of the same feelings on addiction/ loneliness/ family and i am constantly wondering too... it's been a rough few months but is beginning to look up

i'm finding reading and posting on here has really helped me and makes you feel pretty good about yourself
it's great to be able to ask for/read advice on so much of what we all share
hope you're good and finding what you need
x