Notices

Argh. Sleep eludes me 3 nights running.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Argh. Sleep eludes me 3 nights running.

Day 11 of sobriety. Had some good nights of rest but now seem to be at a plateau of some sort. 4 hours a night 3 nights running. Getting a bit frustrated. I am tired, just cannot shut off.

It's funny as well that any days I work out at the gym, those nights I find it hard to sleep. Shouldn't it be the opposite?

Ah well, I'm not worrying... I am enjoying the new found 'extra time' even if it is spent up late when I know I should be asleep. At least I am not passed out!

Had a half hour tough spot this evening due to a lag in one of my projects I am working on which left me with several hours free that I didn't know how to fill as I didn't go to gym tonight either. Then the old red wine bottle appeared in my head. I got on here instead in chat and thankfully the moment passed. I'll feel happy tomorrow morning that I got over that hump.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah - its annoying but I just got by on whatever sleep I could. Didn't end up killing me LOL.

It passes

Congrats on day 11
D
Old 07-21-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

here the deal with me.

my sleeping improved vastly over time........but i learnt that i do suffer from a touch of insomnia anyhow.

over the years ive learnt that the more i let it bother me the more it plagues me..

that said the more i excercise the deeper i sleep......
Old 07-21-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As I remember, I went about 72 hours without sleep when I went through detox. I'm still alive after all these years, so I guess it didn't harm me too badly. Don't worry, it's something we all go through. And we all survive.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

not sure what your workouts are my friend- but try popping a movie you like in your computer (or ipod whatever) and get in 1 or 2 hours of cardio- that seems to work best for my sleep. the time frame is key, and heart rate....good luck and hang. and i am right with you.
d
Old 07-21-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exercising too late also wakes me up, try to do it in the mornings if you can.

There are tons of good relaxation & meditation music on youtube, it might help.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

years ago, before my drinking days, i'd run at night and could NEVER sleep those nights. I'm a morning exercise kind of person I think. Exercising at night just winds me up too much.

and sleep for me was horrible when i drank. i'd fall asleep at 9:00 pm then wake up at 2:00 am feeling crappy. then couldn't get back to sleep until 6:00 a.m. then had to get up for work at 6:30. i was ALWAYS exhausted. at least now when I finally fall asleep it's solid sleep, even if only for five hours. it's not that unrestful alcohol sleep.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, you're all very helpful. Will try the meditation music tonight.

Day 12 with no hangover... life is beautiful.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JJB

Hi turned

Keep coming into chat whenever that bottle of wine looms in your head!

That's what I do too!
I'l probably see you in there!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Congrats on day 12
Old 07-22-2009, 03:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on day 12!
It's funny as well that any days I work out at the gym, those nights I find it hard to sleep. Shouldn't it be the opposite?
As odd as it sounds, exercise actually produces a burst of energy for many that takes hours to come down from. As some one already suggested try doing your exercise as many hours before bed time as you can, this will give your body some time to slow down.

It takes time for ones body to adjust to what is a normal sleep pattern for each person. I have been sober almost 3 years now and still have insomnia on occassion. Is that due to my alcoholism? Probably not, but who knows, maybe it is, but it has not killed me yet and most nights I do sleep very well.

I was at least 2-3 months sober before most of my bodily functions returned to what I assume are normal for me, just give it time.