Notices

dedubya chekin in

Old 07-21-2009, 06:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Welcome back, what do you have added to your toolbox to keep you stuck on the sober side now?
well smacked- good question. I have been smacked 20 yrs ago for couple of years, although you may mean something else.. to answer your question, exercise, and common sense. I dont even enjoy drinking anymore, I just need to keep a sense of the moment to not take a beer or wine even if it seems harmless- which it is not harmless, Thanks for caring and asking. Hope you are feeling good! Best to you
dub
Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
mergirl

How could it seem harmless at this point?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Dub, I am glad to see you back.
I am glad you're back on the horse and hanging in there.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet View Post
How could it seem harmless at this point?
it doesnt- but did. i just 'had' control by completely quitting that I thought i was in control- when that sneaky crap was waiting in the wings for me to cave. I have more knowledge now. Great question. thanks.
d
Old 07-21-2009, 09:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

hey dub, two months is great. i've NEVER gone two months without drinking in 25 years, so i am impressed i think it's similar to quitting smoking, just gotta keep trying and one day it will "take." i gotta agree, the no-alcohol buzz is a pretty good one, so why do we screw it up? what is it about us addicts that can't stand feeling really good? we know that alcohol is not going to make us feel great. what feeling are we looking for? or are we looking for lack of feeling? i just don't know but maybe i'll find out one day.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting dub!! Keeps us newbies on our toes. It's like I have to consistently have it confirmed for me

----> don't even take the first sip!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

welcome back ded

ded
what a crazy disease this is
deadly too!

hows day one?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Dub as I was reading this thread & you mentioned drinking again the first thought that popped into my head was "I bet he quit going to meetings.". Glad to hear you are going back to meetings.

Getting sober in reality is the easy part, especially when one goes through detox, I was medically detoxed and it was FAR easier then staying sober.

Driving home from detox it was every thing in my power and a whole lot of prayer just to drive home without grabbing a 12 pack for the ride.

In detox they told me that if I wanted a chance to stay sober I needed to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

The main reasons they suggested at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days is:

1. AA has an excellent track record with people who REALLY want to stay sober and GO to meetings.

2. The reason for the 90 days is because research shows that it takes about 90 days to break one habit and establish another, in this case the habit being broken is drinking and the one being established is going to AA meetings.

In AA people who relapse when they come back in seem to always share the same pattern as to what led to thier relapse.

1. They quit praying.
2. They quit applying the steps in thier daily lifes.
3. They quit calling thier sponsor and others in AA.
4. They cut back on meetings or quit coming entirely.

Of course for #2 to apply one would need to have had a sponsor and have taken the steps and that would also partially apply to #3 as well.

It takes a whole lot more then just not drinking to stay sober and to not feel the tug of a drink as a solution or a way to kill the time. If one is in AA it takes a whole lot more then a few meetings or in most cases a LOT of meetings to stay sober.

Meetings are a part of the fellowship of AA, they are not the program of AA, the program of AA is laid out in the Big Book and spoken of in meetings.

Dub you seem like one heck of a nice guy, please understand that if you are an alcoholic like me, there is far more to staying sober then just not drinking, but then again it sounds as though you do not have the just not drinking part taken care of yet.

Detox does not make one sober, it merely makes them a sober person who would damn sure like a drink.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hang in there brother.............
Old 07-22-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dedubya View Post
...to answer your question [what have you added], exercise, and common sense.
Dub,

Wasn't exercise and common sense what you were doing before? Common sense tells you that you just had the best 2 months you've had in a long time when not drinking. Yet you're drinking again.

I've found that freedom from alcohol required a lot more than exercise and common sense. YMMV.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rider View Post
hey dub, two months is great. i've NEVER gone two months without drinking in 25 years, so i am impressed i think it's similar to quitting smoking, just gotta keep trying and one day it will "take." i gotta agree, the no-alcohol buzz is a pretty good one, so why do we screw it up? what is it about us addicts that can't stand feeling really good? we know that alcohol is not going to make us feel great. what feeling are we looking for? or are we looking for lack of feeling? i just don't know but maybe i'll find out one day.
that is very good- I dont know either. I just know I am better - understatement- without. Still a struggle.
hope you all are good-
dub
Old 08-16-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry to hear you're still struggling - are you thinking of adding anything to the recovery mix to get you back on track?

D
Old 08-16-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rider View Post
i think it's similar to quitting smoking
Rider i just wanted to say thanks, i've had an emotional day meeting up with an ex for some stuff...i love this it's really cheered me up...i've just go this image of alcohol patches in my head lol They could call it alcoholicuit...
Old 08-16-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Smile

..dub..i still struggle..but something is happenin'..
..i can feel it..feel it feel it..
.."a rough road only punctures tyres..doesn't flaten the spirit"...lol..Oz..