Notices

That is what I thought you were supposed to do!

Old 07-18-2009, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That is what I thought you were supposed to do!

I was talking to my Pastor this morning. I have confided in her about my drinking problem. I told her I started drinking at age 12. She ask me why so young. The first thing that popped in my head My parents drank while I was growing up, it was always in the house and at parties. I guess I thought that is what I was suposed to do. I am not planning them for my problem, I know I am the one that chooses to drink.

huge wake up call for me, my kids have seen us drink all their lives. They are 8 and 5. 4 more years and my daughter will be the age I started. I dont want them to think drinking is what you are suposed to do.

I know I need to stop drinking and have failed many attempts. I am recomitting again staying sober. And that conversation is going to be what I think about when I think I need to drink.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hear that loud and clear!!! I have to tell you that one of my worse downfalls was the fact that EVERYONE in my family drinks and uses on a regular basis and for stress, relaxing, etc. That WAS normal to me.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you here and commited IGTBS.
Use everything you have to challenge the urge.

D
Old 07-18-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you ever considered going to AA? While thinking about the effects on your children is certainly a noble consideration when the urge to drink strikes again, it won't be effective in the long run. You have to want to quit drinking for you, not for your spouse, not for your children, but for you. And AA can help you to do this.This certainly isn't to say that quitting isn't a great thing for your family. It most certainly is. But your underlying motivation must come from within. It took my a long time to learn this, but when I finally understood that fact, it was far easier to stay sober. And I've been sober for some time now.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I am recomitting again staying sober. And that conversation is going to be what I think about when I think I need to drink."

A very noble and 'good parenting' reason to quit.

Your kids deserve the best parent you can be.

If by some chance you fail at your attempt to stop drinking, please promise that you will seek help and take further measures, okay?

AA is comprised of PEOPLE who want to help you.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Focus

Originally Posted by igottobesober View Post
I was talking to my Pastor this morning. I have confided in her about my drinking problem. I told her I started drinking at age 12. She ask me why so young. The first thing that popped in my head My parents drank while I was growing up, it was always in the house and at parties. I guess I thought that is what I was suposed to do. I am not planning them for my problem, I know I am the one that chooses to drink.

huge wake up call for me, my kids have seen us drink all their lives. They are 8 and 5. 4 more years and my daughter will be the age I started. I dont want them to think drinking is what you are suposed to do.

I know I need to stop drinking and have failed many attempts. I am recomitting again staying sober. And that conversation is going to be what I think about when I think I need to drink.
Your kids are a great reason to do this... but you are a great reason to do this too... Awesome!
Old 07-18-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

tommyk, I promise.
I am doing it for me, without my kids there is no me.