Notices

Chardonnay Fog

Old 07-18-2009, 03:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJB View Post
Hey luckedog your post was interesting and has explained something to me.

When I explained to someone once in a chatroom (not here by the way) that my "problem" was that every evening I had to have one bottle of wine -rather like getting my 5 fruit and veg, someone answered with a laugh "oh a wino"

May be he was thinking I wasn't a "real" alcoholic
That's really dangerous thinking.

We make enough excuses to ourselves and if I could tell myself that I'm not an alcoholic because i ONLY drank one bottle of 750 ml white wine per day seven days a week then who am i kidding?

I was what is referred to as a www -white wine witch.

I haven't had any for 10 successive days now and it's a real struggle but physically i'm already looking and feeling much better.
I'll go to my first aa meeting tomorrow -i hope they won't think i'm not a REAL alcoholic because it wouldn't take much persuasion and I'd be back on my daily bottle!

Good point I never even thought about someone not giving another the same time of day because of what they drink... thats BS. I drank more beer than anything but I sure as heck know I was/am an alcoholic (I wont even start to talk about how many I could drink... yuck!). I drank any & every kind of alcohol, as long as it got me wasted I was ok with it.

I would pick up a couple of bottles of wine to mix things up but I have to say the hangovers were killer & I was often physically sick from drinking wine (mid to high price range not just the cheap stuff... not that it matters ;-) I also remember the feeling of being more "toxic" the next day... breathing & sweating it out if that makes sense.

I wish everyone the best in your recovery, regardless of the choice of poison you used to have.

Take Care,

NB
Old 07-18-2009, 03:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Doesn't matter what what you drink, they will all get you wasted, I could never be doing with 'posh' drinks myself as I always said said there all the same when they are down the hatch and my love was "real ale".

I would drink anything, when binge-drinking out in town/city I would drink and drink and drink as being around lots of people and with loud music would keep you alert and awake more, though I would never remember getting home. Chuck in Stims(coke, whizz, e's, bzp) to the mix and I could literally never stop drinking, Man I used to love it. chatting away like you are on your first few drinks and your on your 12th.

My staple weekend binge, that would usually be enough to make me passout if I started drinking in the late evening, would be 9 cans premium lager. Would usually go get a few bottles of 'newky brown' to finish the job if required.

I never really liked drinking wine TBH as the bottles are too small, 750ml, I could drink that in 5 minutes and I would wan't at least 3-4 bottles if drinking alone which would be way too expensive. Then there's 'special brew' haha, the polar opposite of Chardonnay! good ole 'Tramp Juice', It is actually quite a nice drink once the taste is acquired for a beer of 9% strengh. K cider was another fav if money tight, 4 cans for £2.50 would get you pretty wasted, 8.4% Cider. Man I really don't want to go back to them drinking days, alcohol's buzz is so elusive - extremely fleeting and never strong enough, too much of a powerfull mood alterer as well, you can't chase the buzz without just totally Warping your emotions tbh. So much happier sober in the long run.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
DJ1

Also add me to the Chardonnay club

In my home I have a full liquor cabinet & never touch the stuff!! but I would buy chardonnay every day to polish off that day, I have a wine fridge full if I would drink bottles from that fridge I would go to the store to replenish it so no one knew how much I drank how sad I thought no one knew, the fridge has sinced been locked up for the past 6 days & the key put away from me.

The Chardonnay kick for me like many others on here 1 glass I could not do even going out for dinner it would be 4 glasses then home for more I made sure we went to dinner with like minded people my husband does not drink at all he used to joke to everyone 1 of us has to stay sober !! I’m now realizing that was not really a joke he meant every word. Friends & family used to always say she loves her wine this past Christmas I heard a family member at a party saying that glass is not large enough for her (plastic little glasses) I heard the person with her saying why not... the relative replied she’s into wine & knows her stuff & drinks a lot of it. ( we are at that relatives house on Monday for dinner I have been thinking of how I will say no thank you diet soda  Im looking forward to it

When I was drinking my buddy Chardonnay I would think what harm can wine do !! wow how stupid was I hit rock bottom last week & even felt like ending it all 6 days sober I know I have a long way to go & will take it one day at a time but I’m determined to kick this buddy that sits on my shoulder saying 1 glass won’t hurt except in my case 1 glass goes into bottles after bottles.
People say having a glass of wine with dinner cant harm you WOW they should come on here & read some of these posts.
I am glad I found SR & will keep reading every ones posts it gives me the strength to get through another day
Thank you to all.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

DJ, first off, welcome... and second off, you said you're wondering how to say 'no thank you diet soda', well don't worry, that's all you have to say! See you already have this stuff figured out
Old 07-18-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

First of all
I'm afraid of using my insurance because of my work
if you live in the US you have nothing to worry about, I used my insurance to get detoxed medically, I set up the detox and then took a weeks vacation, work never knew I was being detoxed and my insurance company was beyong helpful and understanding, I guess they figure it is cheaper to put some one through detox then to treat them until they die of cirrosis of the liver or panceatic cancer among many other things that are due to chronic alcoholism.

Wine is the only thing that after my 2nd or thgird drunk off of it I actually swore off of!

Now I could drink any hard liquor, white lightening or beer until the cows come home and never had a hangover, but wine just killed me, between the hangovers, the dieareah & the throwing up it just was not worth it. Now I did many years after swearing off wine finish the job one night with a bottle and a half of cooking sherry! YUUCK!!!!

If wine had been the only thing with alcohol in it I probably never would have had a serious drinking problem.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just a bit of information on insurance. I worked for an insurance agency for 23 years and even with all the privacy laws, they are often overlooked. I have a problem getting help because of that. Just be careful I guess.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I used to be all about hard liquor, but I got started on wine when I started Weight Watchers... I did my research and found out that wine had the lowest "points", so I gave myself permission to drink 1 to 1 1/2 bottles a night. Needless to say, I didn't drop any weight... and I do believe wine gives way worse hangovers than anything.

And just like some others said, it was IMPOSSIBLE to just have one glass and save the rest. In my mind I told myself that I didn't want it to go bad, so I had to finish it all.

It's true that somehow wine seems less harmful than other alcohol. Who knows why. That makes it that much easier to get in a habit...
Old 07-18-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Calynn if they are over looked then it is LAWSUIT city!!!!!

I doubt VERY seriously if ANY Insurance company in it's right financial mind would be willing to risk a multimillion dollar lawsuit with a stupid irresponsoble mistake like that.

BTW my wife worked in the insurance industry and a major part of thier training involved how important it was to MAINTAIN a clients PRIVACY to avoid very expensive lawsuits.

There is no defense an insurance company has when it comes to them illegally releasing private information, they simply lose the lawsuit, pay a huge fine, and if it happens to often they lose thier license to sell insurance!
Old 07-18-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Calynn if they are over looked then it is LAWSUIT city!!!!!

I doubt VERY seriously if ANY Insurance company in it's right financial mind would be willing to risk a multimillion dollar lawsuit with a stupid irresponsoble mistake like that.

BTW my wife worked in the insurance industry and a major part of thier training involved how important it was to MAINTAIN a clients PRIVACY to avoid very expensive lawsuits.

There is no defense an insurance company has when it comes to them illegally releasing private information, they simply lose the lawsuit, pay a huge fine, and if it happens to often they lose thier license to sell insurance!
It happens all the time. Like I said, I saw it happening in our agency and others that we worked with for 23 years. Forged signatures are the norm & with the latest technology, very easy to do unfortunately.