Notices

oh my god

Old 07-13-2009, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face oh my god

Hi, I just started this tonight and I'm kinda lost and embarassed.I've known I needed to get help for a long time, but i didn't know what to do.I can go forever without drinking but if there is a family get together or party thats a different story.i can't stop drinking until they kick me out of the bar.I told my father in law, who was watching my two kids, i was only goin out for a couple hours and be gone till 2 am.Then they get mad at me and call me bad names and then i'm embarassed to be around those people for awhile thinking in my head...what are they thinking about me?:sorry
Old 07-13-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! GLad you are here. I sure can relate to what you posted. Been there myself. You will find lots of support here. We do recover.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to SR.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you decided to join us.....
Welcome!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BKP

I hear that, when you start stopping is not an option. My problem also, i have an addictive personality which means i do everything in bulk. My resistance is exercise, being active and putting my harm into something good has made me lose weight, calm myself down. Try something you can put positive effort towards, just not drinking. Not today at least.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Doesn't matter what they're saying about you,what matters is what you're saying about yourself, what you want to do for yourself, what you want to be for yourself. You may be embarrassed but you are not lost. You know you need help and you're reaching out. Couldn't start any better. You'll get a lot of good advice on how to do sobriety,I'm just kind of giving you a pep talk.I'm sure you and family have enough negative talk to keep you busy. You're here now which is the only place and time to be. “There is no other place. We’re forever here…There’s only this one place: right here, right now…To be here is freedom from insanity, fear, worry, struggle, striving, the urgent desire to control, and the habitual yearning for security and escape from pain.”—Steve Hagen, Buddhism is Not What You Think. If you want sobriety its yours for the taking. Al lit requires is everything. All my best.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello, glad you are here. I am finding Sober Recovery to be a good place to find support. I joined here yesterday.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, I was also an "all or nothing" binge drinker, we can recover... just don't pick up that first drink ;-)

Glad to have you here with us.

Take Care,

NB
Old 07-13-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you guys!It's nice to talk about this without yelling and all the drama.It's a very calm place.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Focus

It doesnt matter what they think...I agree with the others... that said, my inlaws have seen me lose control of my drinking on 2 different occasions and I don't see them that often. They really like me a lot and know I'm getting into a good career etc...but in my head, I'm never sure they aren't saying "Did you notice she had a drink in hand all night?"

Seems reputation is one of the big 'cons' about drinking that eventually drive people to seek help.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Loulabell.

I know just how you feel. When I started to drink, sometimes this craving for more kicked in. I remember sometimes I would start at lunchtime and keep drinking and drinking until 3 in the morning no matter what I had promised my family.

I found out I have an allergy to alcohol. It's a physical thing that a percentage of the population are born with due to some sort of enzyme in our livers. That allergy developed into a situation where I lost the choice of whether I would drink or not.

Anyway, it's great you found SR!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

loulabell. I'm glad you found SR. It is a great place to be, lots of helpful advice and folks who have been where you are now. Keep reading and posting!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome loulabell

this is a pretty cool place
Lots of support advice and encouragement.

I hope to see you 'round

D
Old 07-13-2009, 11:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Loulabell!

I'm the same way.....I can't just have a few drinks. Maybe at the restaurant with dinner, with all of my friends, I get up and leave the table with them, BUT I am stopping to buy a bottle to continue on my own at home afterwards as well. After the first drink, I have absolutely no control over my alcohol intake.

I hope you continue to come to the SR forums!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Loulabell

Still remember the first time I stumbled across this board and decided to post. It was a first step and one that I'm thankful for every day.

Keep reading, posting and trying.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR! Learning to not pick up that first drink saves a lot of us a lot of problems. Tough to do, but so worth it.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I made a complete fool out of myself at my house during a cookout/pool party. Passed out in the middle of the party in front of my family and friends. I had a bottle of vodka hid in the garage I was chugging. Anyway, my in-laws had to take care of my daughter, feed her and put her to bed while I was in and out of my black out. I did manage to cuss at them and call them names (none of which I remember). My wife came home and let me just say she was none to impressed my actions.

The important thing is to grab on to your sobriety before your drinking gets worse. You are not alone in your fight to be sober. I have found that AA can also be a great support system. It took me a while to find the right group, but when it clicks, it clicks. You can do it!
Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think there is a lot of shame involved with alcoholism and sometimes the shame can prevent us from getting the help we want and need.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Lula! I have the same problem...not being able to stop drinking when I am in a social situation. I never crave alcohol, and go long periods without it, and don't drink alone. I have had one to many horrible hangovers, called people to apologize too many times the next day, and always wonder if my boyfriend's parents think "she is always telling us how hungover she is" What I have learned here is that if you think you have a problem, then you do, and you should work on it. People that don't have a problem don't question themselves.
I have only been here for a couple of days, but I know the first step is admitting that I am a "problem drinker." Day to day, alcohol is not a problem for me. Its when I go out with friends that it is... Reading everyone's stories here reminds me that it will probably escalate if I do not work on this NOW. SR has been really helpful, hopefully you find it to be, too. Welcome!
Old 07-15-2009, 03:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi , I too am a Passout binge-drinker. I stopped going to any functions where alcohol would be involved (all functions) because I knew I have no control over myself when drunk and would just end-up embarrassing myself and falling over, puking up, being loud/aggressive etcetcetc. getting caught doing Cocaine in toilets (at work functions!) drink-driving, chatting-up friends girlfriends who they are standing next to!!! etcetcetc

So I stopped going out and drank alone instead. I could have said "right I will simply go out and not drink-alcohol" That thought NEVER even crossed my mind, I only thought last night, that would have been the logical thing to do. But there is NO logic when I drink, total and utter loss-of-control.

"All bets are off"

I hope to not have that first drink again.