Notices

Today's Gift from Hazelden

Old 07-07-2009, 04:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Today's Gift from Hazelden

The elevator is broken; use the Steps.
--Anonymous

Elevators are easy. We push a button and we go right to the top. The way is fast, quick, and silent. We don't work up a sweat. We don't get out of breath. We can't trip and fall. There is not much time to communicate with anyone else along the way so we don't have to use any effort or thought. We can daydream as we face the front of the car and stare at the numbers as they change from floor to floor.

Our addictions were our elevators out of living. The chemical highs we experienced were just like an elevator ride. Until we crashed.

I will sometimes sweat, stumble, get out of breath in my climb, but I'll take the time to talk with and learn from others who are taking the Steps with me.

You are reading from the book:

Easy Does It by Anonymous
Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Thank you Believe fot posting that.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The steps took me out of hell and planted me firmly on the landing of recovery. No more elevators for this gal.

Thanks for the reminder this morning.

Hugs
Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

The first time I came into the program I didn't work the steps, I didn't want to do all that stuff, and because of that I relapsed. This time I see that it is the steps that are helping me out of the hole I was in. All I can say is Thank God for the 12 Steps of AA.

A little story: There was a man stuck in a hole and he couldn't get out, a bartender passed him, he asked the bartender to help him out, the bartender threw in a bottle, he drank the bottle but couldn't get out. Then a priest passed, please father help me out of this hole, Sure replied the priest and threw him the Bible, he read the Bible, Stood on it, but still couldn't get out of the hole. Then a fellow AA member passed, Please, please help me out of this hole, Sure said the AA fellow and he jumped in the hole with him. Now you sure went and messed up, how can you help me when you're right beside me in the hole, Yes said the AA'er, but I've been in a hole before But I got the Steps to help us get out.