Notices

New here

Old 07-01-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hello, my name is Javier and I'm writing from Nicaragua. I've been clean for over 34 months and that, by itself, is just a miracle. I'm a member of NA, but I'm equally open to AA.

I was looking for recovery info (specifically experiences on Step 6) when I came across this page and this forum. It was one of those days when I was feeling blue, and I guess I wanted to feel blue because I didn't want to call my sponsor or anyone from my group. The mere fact of having read a couple of things I found here gave me the strenght to ask for the help I needed that day.

It's been hard to stay clean day by day, but I try to make it simple: go to meetings, get a sponsor and work the steps, no matter how I feel. I really wanted to join this forum to learn form the experience of all you guys. NA in Nicaragua is young and small, 13 years old and there's 23 groups nationwide, but we're growing and helping one another. Hope to get to know some of you and wish you all the best.

Felices 24 :ghug
Old 07-01-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, Javier. Welcome to SR!
Old 07-01-2009, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
13 May 2009

to SR Javier and congratulations on your amazing achievement of 34 months - WOW, I hope to see more of your posts, thank you for sharing!
Old 07-01-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TC MI

Hi, i am not on step 6 yet but you got a friend in the USA.... Jay keep on keeping on..
Old 07-01-2009, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Javier

D
Old 07-01-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our community.

There is a Step Study on our NA Forum
You might want to read and share there too.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Javier, Welcome!!!!! Hope to see more posts from you!! =)

~Jade
Old 07-01-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrads on your time,you're certainly doing something right. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and learn from you. Namaste

If you know someone who tries to drown their sorrows, you might tell them sorrows know how to swim. ~Quoted in P.S. I Love You, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's funny (not by chance I'm sure) I came across this post. I did my 6th & 7th last night. I am a member of AA, and I'm not sure how the steps differ from NA but I imagine they are similar. There isn't much about step 6 in the AA big book, but the AA 12 & 12 (Twelve Steps & Twelve Traditions) has a whole chapter on it. If you can't get a copy of the book do a search and there are online versions. I spent almost 2 months on the 6th step to really reflect on what my character defects are, and to make sure I was willing for them to be removed. Not to say anyone else should spend the time on it I did, but I am glad I did.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to SR.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Javier and congrats on your sober and clean time. Step 6 is not different in AA then it is in NA, I have to assume that you have done your 4th & 5th with your sponsor, to be honest when I did my 6th my sponsor told me to first sit down with my inventory and taking my inventory and what we had discussed in my 5th and take that which I had learned were my character defects and to work to be willing to let go of them, there were a few of them that I was not entirely willing to let go of, we discussed them and those that I was not willing to totally let go of, I continue to work on that willingness today.

Step 6 is an ongoing process I have found, as I let my HP remove some of my character defects in step 7, others I had not even seen become appearant and the process begins anew.

I wanted to feel blue because I didn't want to call my sponsor or anyone from my group.
Did you feel blue a lot when you were using?

Was feeling blue in your comfort zone?

One thing I have found in recovery is in order to grow/progress in my recovery I have to step outside of my comfort zone!

When I was drinking isolating from the world was my comfort zone, I withdrew and I drank because that was comfortable.... it was easy!!!!

In order to just get sober I had to step out of my comfort zone, I had to quit isolating, in order to stay sober I need to not let myself not slide back into that OLD comfort zone of isolation.

I would suggest that you step out of that comfort zone it seems you are in and call your sponsor and others in NA.

You know in my area we have quite a few NA folks that attend AA meetings as well as NA meetings, it gives them additional fellowship along with more experience strength and hope.

There are far more similarities between AA & NA then there are differences, but there are enough differences to where when ever possible one should lean harder on the fellowship they relate to and gain from.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to our Family - U came to the right place
Old 07-02-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

!Bienvenido a SR!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Old 07-02-2009, 09:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"Were entirely willing..." What the hell does that mean? For me, being entirely willing means that I can no longer engage in that behavior. As long as I'm doing the behavior, I'm not willing to let go of it. As long as it serves a purpose in my life, I hold onto it. Takes me right back to the selfishness.

In steps 4 and 5, I identified character traits that were objectionable to me. Things I engaged in to get what I want. It's hard to let go of these things. Despite the dysfunctionality of my life at the time, those were the only things I had, and they had got me that far in life.

Now comes that leap of faith that lasts a lifetime. I have to be willing to not use those things that I've always used. I have to trust that NOT trying to get what I want will be OK. Entirely willing means walk the walk, trust that direction will be given, that I'll be OK being the actor and not the director.

And since all of best wishing and trying won't do a damn thing to remove those defects ( assuming I even know what needs removed), I ask a higher power for help. That step 7 prayer has the answer. "I am now willing that you should have ALL of me.." Yep, that's stepping right off the cliff right there.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for your welcome

THANKS ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR WARM WELCOME TO SR!! U MADE ME FEEL RIGHT AT HOME!!!

IT'S AWESOME TO KNOW WE'RE NOT ALONE!!! (just for today and as long as I do what I need to do)