Notices

My first post.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Dan. Good man for seeing sense. U wrote that u quit for 6 months, thats a gr8 incentive go abstain again, many would struggle to kick the habit for a few days never mind half a year.

I am a month sober 2moro and have found this board a font of inspration and advice. im sure u can do it again!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.....
Old 07-01-2009, 04:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by DP33496 View Post
I’m angry at myself because I knew that I’m running out of pills and I didn’t do anything about it. I had more then enough time to get new pills and I thought a few extra days wouldn’t change anything, boy was I wrong.

I’m a very “private” person and not one to talk about my problems at an AA meeting. Furthermore it’s embarrassing for me. The most success I have had so far is Antabuse and a healthier lifestyle. My parents, sisters and my ex-wife know about my Alcoholism but it’s not something I have shared with my friends. I usually say that I’m currently on medication and can’t drink when faced with a situation where other’s drink. The people who came over on Saturday gave me the Vodka as a present with good faith because they don’t know about my problem. I guess they just assumed that when I stop taking my medication I will be allowed to have a drink. I did move here recently so on another note I don’t have many acquaintances yet.
Hi Welcome to SR D.

From everything I hear here, Antabuse is great - but while it may stop you drinking, from yr story and others, it doesn't seem to do anything for the alcoholism that lies beneath.

I hope you think carefully about the suggestions here about maybe doing something more - whether it be a programme like AA, LifeRing, SMART etc, or counselling, whatever...embarrassment and shyness are things most of us share - they're not really not good enough reasons to stay static.

This is your life here Dan. Even telling yr friends that vodka is not an appropriate gift is a start

D
Old 07-01-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi DP... A huge big WELCOME to Sr!!

Please let go of the "past" and just live for Today in the "Present". Live for this 24 hours Sober and then start all over again and live for the next 24 Hours Sober tomorrow. It will surely help you I think to let go of hammering yourself for past mistakes and and worrying about what "Might Happen" in the future.

If your new to where you are living it seems to me the perfect time to maybe give AA a try? I am someone who SWORE they'd NEVER go to AA and talk in front of all those weird people. Well, guess what? I did! I can assure you it's been the very BEST thing I've ever done for ME in my entire life too!! All those weird people are JUST LIKE ME!!! And boy oh boy...sitting and listening to them share is encouraging and highly rewarding and you make some great new sober friends too. Hmmmmmmmm maybe you might give it a little thought - I'm sure glad I did.

I wish you all the very best my friend and welcome again to a great Forum!

Love Pancake XO
Old 07-01-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
where the light is

The AA Big Book refers to the alcoholic’s mental obsession with drinking. Unless we deal with this obsession, sooner or later we will drink again.

My mental obsession was an inability to live life on life’s terms. Things could be going great then something “unacceptable” would happen and I would drink. Boredom, anxiety, loneliness, anger – you name it.

You write as if you believe that as an alcoholic, you will always have that obsession and the only way to stop yourself from drinking is by taking Antabuse - that alcoholism is a huge burden you will have to carry for the rest of your life. This is not true.

The AA Big Book also refers the need for an “essential psychic change.” For me, this psychic change happened through the 12 steps. I have a totally different perspective on life. I have not had a drink in 18 months & I very rarely think about alcohol. For the most part, I am at peace and enjoying life. My alcoholism is not a burden at all!

I have met many alcoholics and what is very consistent is that need for psychic change. Could be through AA, religion, counseling, or another recovery program. These options are available to everyone.

There is hope & there is a solution.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Dan - You've gotten a bunch of great advice and insight already, I don't have anything to add. Just wanted to say welcome and don't give up. You can do this.