Notices

Found a fun activity to get away from alcohol... Have you?

Old 06-30-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Good thread, to be honest though, I simply work a good program on a daily basis which allows me to live life on lifes terms, I have not thought about having a drink in a long time.
That's my experience also. I never actively sought out new activities. All I did was throw myself into recovery. With that, new activities found me. I took interest in things that previously didn't interest me, and I rekindled some old interests.

Like Taz said, with recovery comes an enthusiasm and zeal for life. I find joy in most whatever I'm doing. The activities change, come and go. The recovery leads me to the joy in them.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me it was important to find myself again...I returned to the martial arts...returned to volunteer work and found a new love....running. Taking an active roll in our recovery means become an active participant in our own lives. Seeking out new activities is a great step in the right direction!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Keith I concur, it seems as though the more I work on my recovery the further the door opens to the joys in life, I really feel like I was working things backwards in the past.

I would decide to throw myself heart and soul into some activity and that would stop me from starting to drink again, I found that for me my mistake was I was not working on changing me, I was trying to develop a new addiction to replace my drinking & when I tired of that new addiction or it simply was not enough I went back to my old crutch because it was always there and reliable.

Once I threw myself into working on changing me, the obsession to drink was lifted, I found a new solution to my problems and suddenly I found myself doing things I had not done in years, not to take my mind off of drinking, but to simply enjoy them. There have also been a few new things I have started to do..... one of them I must say is mentally addictive though...... suduko!!!!! I limit my time doing it, I get lost doing suduko!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great post Laura! I run, spend time with the fam, we are going camping this week and are taking a vacation in one direction for 5 days with no plans (we call it fly by the seat of your pants vacation!).
Old 06-30-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I love fishing was out last night fishing was so peaceful didnt catch much just plenty of peace of mind

Was fishing for like 6 hours into the night till like 10:45. Right by the sea what more could a man want.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I found my life, amazingly, it was still there waiting for me.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Night time is especially hard for me. I've found myself playing my x-box more. It takes two hands and requires cordination, so drinking is a no go!!

I've also started going to the gym, being more active here, and hopefully will soon be going back to work, so I don't have so much time on my hands!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

working (i LOVE my job), exercising (double win), music (it's great therapy really), movies (netflix is my HP), getting wisdom from girlfriends (self explanatory)..

but most of all: LAUGHING!!