Notices

Just starting

Old 06-16-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just starting

Hello,
I found these boards because I wanted to find out how hard my recovery is going to be. I have been on Percocet for two years due to a back injury, at my height I was taking 12 5/350 pills a day. Now I have decided to kick these things. My problem is that I also recently was diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff that is going to require surgery. So here I am, dead smack in the middle of the cravings, sweats and everything else that comes with getting off this junk, and I am going to have a long and painful shoulder rehab.
I have been lying to myself for a long time, how my back issues (three herniated discs) caused me to NEED to take the pills, but there have been times I took them without major back pain (I should be able to deal with being uncomfortable, pain is pain but I know when the level of pain is to where I should be popping pills). I have a PM doc that writes me a script for 150 pills every month, but I am two weeks away from my next appt. and I am down to one little pill. I figure now it as good a time as any to kick.
I have about 20 tramadols and everyone says these help with the withdrawals, but they aren't doing much for me. I understand I do not have nearly as bad a habit as others on this board, but two years at 150-200 pills a month is nothing to sneeze at (actually, it is if you know what I mean). Any suggestions as to what I should do to make this a success? Impending surgery, a doc that will write me a script in two weeks, etc. It would be really easy to fall back into the old habits.
Wife is great, working with me. I have a toddler son that means the world to me and another on the way. I really need some direction because I want so badly to not have to pop pills anymore.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR ehlo.

Personally I have no experience with percs, but I know many members have.
You may want to check out our Substance Abuse forums as well

good to have you aboard
D
Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR EhloBuddy, congrats on your desre to get clean. Medication can be a hassle for addicts but we need to do as the Doc says, take the correct dose at the correct time and get your wife and others to support you in this.

You have come to a great place to start your recovery, read around and ask questions. Have you told your Doc your an addict? Have you thought about detox/rehab.

I go to NA, others here use SMART AA or counselling, whatever it is one of the common things we seem to need in recovery is other recoverying addicts.

Kevin
Old 06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know if you have consulted a doctor about your recovery but this is absolutely essential. You need to explain you have a problem and need help etc. I don't know where you live but if you can find an addictionologist that would be ideal--these are not widespread but they specialize in the treatment of addiction and can be invaluable--they are especially good to consult in choosing what kinds of pain killers for for post-op etc. to minimize relapse. The fact is that many physicians are ignorant about addiction, not equipt to treat it, and unsympathetic, so finding a good doctor would be a good place to start. Check out some general info here. Basically look you have to really ask around to get a good referral. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have not told my doc I am an addict (is that what I am?) I have never really been much of a drinker, in fact I have had exactly one beer in the last year and a half. But the Percocet really put me in a good place mentally. What is the difference between dependance and addiction? I honestly do not know.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EhloBuddy View Post
I have not told my doc I am an addict (is that what I am?) I have never really been much of a drinker, in fact I have had exactly one beer in the last year and a half. But the Percocet really put me in a good place mentally. What is the difference between dependance and addiction? I honestly do not know.
My understanding:
Dependence refers to the physical symptoms of using a drug over time--physiological changes due to the use of a drug. Signs would be devoloping a tolerance or withdrawal symptoms upon discontinuation.
Addiction refers to the psychological state of obsession with using the drug--using it to get high, trying to use more and more to get desired effect, spending lots of time acquiring and using drug. I think with addiction there is always dependence but not vice versa. The fact you say it "puts you in a good place mentally," i.e. it makes you high, that would mean it is a psychological effect and thus addiction. But really it is up to you what you decide your problem is.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You pretty much nailed it. Sucks to admit that to yourself. I have always been the tough guy, always in control. It's amazing how, no matter how strong you might feel you are, something is always stronger. This is stronger.
When I first started taking these things I had friends that told me to be careful. I was always like, "yeah, not me. I know what I'm doing." Now I am really hurting but saw something on one of the other threads I thought was a great way to look at it. Someone said the pain you feel is your body healing itself. I hope I can continue to look at it that way.
I see my pain mgmt. doc on the first of next month. I hope I have the strength and courage to have a talk with him about what's going on with me.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are in the right place. Pain is a part of life and something you will have to struggle through but if you prevail it will make you all the more courageous for having done so. You show considerible strength and courage all ready for making the decision to admit your problem to your doc and to yourself--so many of us never take that step and many die from this disease never having done so much. But you still have lots of work to do. If you are religious at all I would pray for the courage to talk to your pain doctor about it. Check out resources online. Check out AA meetings (not just for alcoholics this day in age) or NA meetings in your area. Check into therapists that are used to dealing with addicts. Asking for help can be a difficult thing to do but it is the most important thing you can do. Best of luck.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hendershot View Post
Sounds like you are in the right place. Pain is a part of life and something you will have to struggle through but if you prevail it will make you all the more courageous for having done so. You show considerible strength and courage all ready for making the decision to admit your problem to your doc and to yourself--so many of us never take that step and many die from this disease never having done so much. But you still have lots of work to do. If you are religious at all I would pray for the courage to talk to your pain doctor about it. Check out resources online. Check out AA meetings (not just for alcoholics this day in age) or NA meetings in your area. Check into therapists that are used to dealing with addicts. Asking for help can be a difficult thing to do but it is the most important thing you can do. Best of luck.
I do have another problem. My career puts me in the public eye so NA or AA is really not an option right now. I guess I could travel to another area to hit a meeting. I am not really religious, I believe in God but think I would be pretty hypocritacal to ask him to bring me through this unless I was ready to turn my life over to him. I am not sure about that yet. But thanks for all the kind words, people. I know I have a long road ahead of me.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep thinking about it - and keep in mind it is Alcoholics or Narcotics Anonymous, ehlo

D
Old 06-16-2009, 09:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Keep thinking about it - and keep in mind it is Alcoholics or Narcotics Anonymous, ehlo

D
I was about to say the same thing.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome,

I had a brief struggle with percocet after my triple-bypass, I was abusing them and not taking them as presribed and they made me nutso. My girlfriend at the time loved any narcotic, especially xanex, and was taking my percs as well. We finally argued about them one night, she was upset because I was taking more of my own pills than she liked, so I threw the bottle across the room, and she scampered over to pick them all up off the carpet. I called my doc the next moring and he put me on Tylenol 800 mgs, and I haven't taken a perc since. It was tough, so I do recommend discussing this with your doc. BTW, Welcome to SR.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Fire,
I am going to talk to my doc. I admire what you were able to do, hope I can do the same. Thanks for the welcome everyone, it means a lot.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi EB,

Quitting was easier for me because my gf made sure she took all the rest of the pills, lol. I took the Tylenol because there were no percs left and I couldn't face the doc and tell him I'd abused the script, so I just tuffed it out on the Tylenol. Glad I did.

Let us know how it goes with the doc.