Notices

14 days sober

Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 days sober

Hi everyone, I have been sober 14 days today. It has been rough, real rough.
I have a question, I felt good the first week but I have not improved much more in the last week. I do sleep alot better but it takes me a hour to fall asleep. I also go through bad stages of depression.
Is this all normal, everyday I tell myself Im just going to give up and go to my comfort zone (BEER).
Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Congrats on 14 days! Ahh, yes--the emotional roller coaster of early sobriety.....it does get better with time. Problems sleeping are common too...or were for me. Just know that drinking won't solve anything>it certainly won't make things any better. Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. :ghug3
Old 06-14-2009, 10:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations. Everything you are going through is very normal. I would be puzzled if you weren't struggling. It does get much better even if that is hard to see from where you are. Work a good recovery program and do what you need to do. If you aren't sure what you should be doing there are many people on here who can help, as well as resources on the main site. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi pnewman

Hope you are staying strong. Im almost 2 weeks sober as well. Didnt go thru the same hardship that u are describing although the first 3 days were ugly and unpeaceful.

I can only advise you to read posts from people who have managed to stay sober for 6 months+, they have done it and are real examples of successful recovery.

A thing that I have taken from this forum is that there is always someone worse off than yourself, and it helps to know that however hard it seems or bad you may feel, there are people who have roughed it thru and done it in sometimes amazing circumstances.

The things that have failed for me are things that you may need to know..

Being alone and without support is insane, why make it harder than it should be

Being unfocused and without a goal or dream is only inviting drink back in to replace the boredom and vaccum

That the idea of drinking to improve your mood or alleviate boredom is an illusion, it is only a very short term relief and the interests and penalties on such a transaction are enourmous!!

Good luck pal, dont go back, that world is a very ugly place
Old 06-15-2009, 04:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
13 May 2009

Pnewman, I really feel for you! I am week 4 but I will share with you a story from 10 days ago, maybe it will make you feel better.

I had to see my shrink, I am usually very upbeat and high energy and I hate having to see one, so I am always a bit of a smart ass. So you can imagine she was rather shocked to be confronted by me, no make up, jeans and a dirty sweat shirt, I just about fell into her lounge and waited defeated for her barrage of questions.

Shrink:"Martha are you okay?"
Martha (very angry) "no quite frankly I am not, I have never felt so crappy in my life, I am depressed, I can't sleep, I have constant stomach problems, I have anxiety, what the hell is wrong with me? I gave up booze and pot to get well and I feel terrible"
Shrink: "Oh yeh sorry Martha I forgot to tell you you brain has become so used to THC and alcohol to work, that by taking these two drugs away it literally has to rewire itself and you brain is in a brain funk (my words not hers), it will get better, but in the meantime all of these symptoms of depression, anxiety and insomnia are quite normal"
Martha: "What ??????"

I hear you pnewman, hang in there it is starting to get better, what a joy to wake up everyday expecting a hangover and I don't have one!! To be able to remember when I am rude to people and to whom and have control over it! There is even more to look forward to, the symptoms will pass, give your body some time, if you are anything like me, I have abused my body severely for a long time and then I demanded it recovered in a week......I have now worked out that with some respect and care it will get better in its own time, and I look forward to that feeling...of health!

If you have a beer, you will be back at the begining, you are getting better, you have made the change, its just rough...but what we have done to our bodies and our minds has been rough! Your at base camp and soon to make the summit, do you really want to go back to the bottom of the mountain?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Did I write this post or did you?

We are in the same boat (15 days sover here), and I am going through the same stuff. I can't fall asleep before midnight, have a real problem shuting off my brain, and am going through some real emotions. From everything I hear and believe, it will get better. The one thing I do know is that beer (my drink of choice as well) will not help the situation at all. I never want to go through that intial few days of detox again. That stinks. I really just want my life to get better, more fulfilled day by day. I think we are both on the right path to that and I would be honored to stay on it with you. We can do this.

Chris
Old 06-15-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 14 days!!

It does take our bodies/minds a while to adjust to not having the beer/alcohol. For most of us, we've drank/used for years, but we want to feel better in a matter of days (or at least I did!!)

You'll begin to feel better soon. I hope you keep reading and posting..that's where I got a good idea of what to expect, as well as reminders of why I didn't want to go back to where I started.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-15-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate....I am at day 8 today and although I am feeling much better than i did the first few days of detox, im still not where id hope to be. But someone above me made a good point when they said we abused our body for years, we cant just expect it to spring back into perfect health in only a few weeks. I do know one thing though, even if i feel better yesterday than i did today, i know my body is still further along the detox process and what im feeling is just my body cleaning house, training itself to live again without these powerful toxins in our systems all the time. Thanks for the posts..
Old 06-15-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

26 days here, and I know what you're saying. The emotional roller coaster keeps rolling. Without beer to numb it, you notice it more.

One thing I have noticed is that I'm less depressed -- my down periods are much shorter and not as deep.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

WOW everyone, thanks for the kind words and encouragement. It is a battle but I know I can do this. I have to find something to replace the beer, because I get bored easy.

It's amazing to see so many supportive people on here, and thank you once again. One day at a time.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hello pnewman,,nice to meet you! im an alcoholic also,in recovery.have you thought about going to AA? i was an alcoholic of what i would describe as hopeless,drank for 20 yrs,one disaster after another,unmanagibility.i COULD NOT stop on my own.i had experience of AA before but wasnt ready to quit,,so i went back at the begining of the year.i went to lots of meetings as first (this keeps you occupied,makes you realise you are not alone,gives you hope and ultimatly offers a solution) i got a sponsor pretty quick and im working with her on the 12steps.my sober date is the 7th feb,,thats just a little over 4 months (odaat).my life has changed beyond recognition,my sister said the change in me is phenominal.i dont get bored and quite often just like spending time in my own company.i have become useful to other folk and spend little time thinking about myself.and i have no compulsion to drink! that for me is the true miracle when i consider just a few months ago i suffered from an all consuming mental obssession! sounds good eh? i wish you well with whatever path you decide to take.keep us posted.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the SR community and keep coming back!!

Part of what you may be experiencing is the result of not trying to hide from your feelings with alcohol. You are beginning to become aware of yourself and of your surroundings without believing the illusions alcohol told you were true. Take it easy, don't pick up that first drink, and go to a meeting. You could even pick up some literature while your there that may help to simplify your problems and help you become aware of the pratical solutions to them.

Thank you for staying clean and sober today!!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Another thing I notice is I am more productive. I am making Dads best beef jerky right now ( My kids phrase). I havent made my kids beef jerky in years. I feel good but it is like I am not in reality, And I guess I am not in reality right now. Reality for me is getting drunk. My wife also says I am more calm and patient, Thats strange for me because I am a redheaded irishman LOL.

Thankyou once again everyone.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

good for you pnewman,keep it up!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

I'll chime in with the rest of them and say YEAH! it gets better. Just hang on, the garbage you feel now is like an inconvenient investment into your near future.

I didn't think it would go away and was sooo ready to give up. Then after a few weeks, poof it was all gone.