Notices

I'm new and shy.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

wednesday,hello and welcome! there is lots of great support here at SR.my story in a nutshell is this,,,36,drank alcoholicaly fro 20 yrs.went to AA at beginging of the year and i am happy,joyous and free as they say! my life now is how it never has been and how i never imagined it could be! i am changing,or growing if you like,in so many ways.life is good.you will be surprised if you go to a meeting.you will be welcomed and there will be no pressure.a lot of folk say its like having a weight lifted of your shoulders,it was like this for me.being in among people who 100% understand you is an awesome feeling,,beats the loneliness of active alcoholism.nice to meet you,keep us posted and i wish you well.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Wednesday
Welcome and congratulations on joining this wonderful community. Like you and a lot of others here I am shy too. I lurked around this site for about six months before I got up the nerve to join and post. I didn't think AA was for me either but I forced myself to go as soon as I made the decision to quit drinking for GOOD this time. I tried too many times to count to do it on my own over the last twenty years and I never managed more than a month before I went back to it, hating myself more each time for being weak and worthless. I just passed 9 months and I have to give the credit to the support I've found in AA.
That said I wish you the best in your recovery no matter what way you choose for yourself.
Again welcome!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wednesday try to find a beginers meeting,that way you will have a room full of people in similar sraits.A>A online is great but you need to reach out and communicate in person wtih women who know where you are comming.Until the keep comming back here.Take care of your body and mind and it might ease your burden. Welcome
Old 05-26-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words, they mean a lot to me.

It has been 20 years drinking for me although I'm not even 35 years old yet. I was drinking 1 bottle of vodka a day at many points along the way although I have had my liver tested and remarkably it is not damaged.

I think I might try and find an AA meeting outside my local area but not right now. I think I will see if I can keep it going with online support at the moment.

Thank you again.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are here with us....

Well done on your sober time
"funjump:
Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum, Wednesday. Shyness is completely acceptable here. Congratulations on 2 weeks sobriety.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks CarolD and Antone.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
The Legend returns!

Wednesday!

Cool name!

Welcome
Old 05-27-2009, 01:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You have a cool name too. (I was going to read through your thread next.)
Old 05-27-2009, 03:15 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I need to find new sober friends and not drinking buddies.
Just keep in mind that drinking buddies are a dime a dozen, if you want a few walk into any bar and buy a round, you will have drinking buddies until the booze runs out or you need some real help!

Friends are the folks who will get out of bed at 3AM if you call and need help. In AA getting out of bed at 3AM if a fellow alcoholic needs a hand is not unusual at all.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Wednesday

D
Old 05-27-2009, 05:04 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Just keep in mind that drinking buddies are a dime a dozen, if you want a few walk into any bar and buy a round, you will have drinking buddies until the booze runs out or you need some real help!
Friends are the folks who will get out of bed at 3AM if you call and need help. In AA getting out of bed at 3AM if a fellow alcoholic needs a hand is not unusual at all.
That is very true. I find that some people in my life seem resistant to me stopping drinking which in the past has made it harder for me to stop.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The only people I ever knew who wanted me to drink were those who used me as a way to justify their own drinking problem. When I was drinking I was the guy you wanted around if you had a problem because I usually made others look pretty good.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

The only people I ever knew who wanted me to drink were those who used me as a way to justify their own drinking problem. When I was drinking I was the guy you wanted around if you had a problem because I usually made others look pretty good.
I probably seem more fun to other people when I'm drinking socially. I think I feel more confident with a drink in my hand and less self conscious and shy. I don't seem to gel as well with certain people when I'm sober unfortunately.

I know I'm no fun when I'm wasted however which was fairly regular for me!
Old 05-27-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I probably seem more fun to other people when I'm drinking socially.
I did too, the problem was I rapidly progressed from fun to obnoxious and then down right embarassing and stupid. Funny thing though, the longer I stay sober the more fun I have and what is really awesome is I remember it all the next day and I owe no one any apologies and people talk to me the next day!!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 05:49 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

[

Happy Wednesday, Wednesday!

Congratulations on your 15 days and so glad you found us. Although I wasn't the least bit shy when I first got clean, talking about what I was feeling was an entirely different story. I think one of the best parts about SR is that it helps those who are shy begin to feel more comfortable sharing with others. For so many years I held things inside me that just seemed to build up and almost haunted me. I didn't have a computer the first 2 years or so that I have been in Recovery, but I wrote in a journal. Just getting these thoughts and feelings out is so freeing.

I do hope you'll try some Meetings. Like others have said, if you run into someone you know, obviously they are there for the same reason you are. Over the past nearly 4 years, I have ran into some old "drinking buddies" who have become true friends in Recovery.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 05-27-2009, 06:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks SerenityQueen.

I did too, the problem was I rapidly progressed from fun to obnoxious and then down right embarassing and stupid. Funny thing though, the longer I stay sober the more fun I have and what is really awesome is I remember it all the next day and I owe no one any apologies and people talk to me the next day!!!!
Yeah me too. I sometimes used to get really rude and sarcastic if someone offended me (even slightly) when I was drinking.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
I probably seem more fun to other people when I'm drinking socially. I think I feel more confident with a drink in my hand and less self conscious and shy. I don't seem to gel as well with certain people when I'm sober unfortunately.

I know I'm no fun when I'm wasted however which was fairly regular for me!
I remember feeling this way too Wednesday... Now I know I was incorrect. My family and friends didn't like who I became while drinking. I wasn't a mean drunk but I did anything and everything to make a fool out of myself; bring up past memories, talk baby talk etc...... Glad Im beyond all that; however I still live one day at a time.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi Toomutch, thanks for sharing with me. It feels so good to have people who understand.