Notices

A narrow escape

Old 05-20-2009, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A narrow escape

On Monday mornings there's a team meeting of about six of us where I work. Each week someone different brings a snack. This week my co-worker brought a homemade French spread (can't remember what it's called) to put on bread. It's made with Chardonnay. I had already decided not to eat it even though my co-worker said that the alcohol "drains off" in the refrigerator overnight. He encouraged me to try some at the meeting but I didn't. Later on, two of my co-workers separately said there was a lot of chardonnay in the spread and that they actually felt a slight wine buzz from it. I know if I had eaten this spread, I would have felt my sobriety was blown (79 days) and I would have been heartbroken. So, I'd just like to echo the warning I've heard others give. Be cautious with unfamiliar homemade food items. Some folks at best don't realize the importance of complete abstinence to other people and at worst think it's clever or a kick to work in an alcoholic kick to their dishes.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I've never heard of alcohol draining off food overnight in the fridge! My guess would be that it does NOT!

Glad you had a heads up!

Guess this would go back to...if you didn't know alcohol was in the food....and you didn't eat it for a buzz....is it a relapse. My vote is no (providing it was a taste and not the entire dish), but then my vote doesn't count for much.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
I've never heard of alcohol draining off food overnight in the fridge! My guess would be that it does NOT!

Glad you had a heads up!

Guess this would go back to...if you didn't know alcohol was in the food....and you didn't eat it for a buzz....is it a relapse. My vote is no (providing it was a taste and not the entire dish), but then my vote doesn't count for much.
I actually agree with your assessment. A short while ago I ate some homemade barbecue sauce flavored with Jack Daniels. I don't think there was alcohol left in it, but it bothered me quite a bit, more than I would have guessed. I agree that an accidental or non-intentional taste doesn't necessarily end one's sobriety string. I was thinking more that I would have gone through a lot of mind trips over whether or not I had lost my sobriety OR I would have said "Well, it's over now so I might as well dig into the spread and go home and drink tonight. I wanted to avoid the whole mess by just staying away.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

It's awesome that your not violating your own conscious! i bet your sleeping a whole lot more peaceful with this recent decision you've made! Way to go!!! Stay the course and keep the faith in yourself bright!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wolfchild View Post
It's awesome that your not violating your own conscious! i bet your sleeping a whole lot more peaceful with this recent decision you've made! Way to go!!! Stay the course and keep the faith in yourself bright!
Wolf, you hit the nail on the head. I do feel so much more peaceful that I held my ground. It's a great feeling and I appreciate you recognizing that!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good job sticking to your guns, pleasing or impressing other people is not healthy all the time.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Good job.. we have to dodge mini bullets at every turn sometimes.

And really? A buzz from the alcohol in food? hmm. What freakin' lightweights! (lol...)
Old 05-21-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

IMO - I don't think that would constitute a relapse but my fear would be it may trigger one. This is my first time trying to get sober and I heard that even a non-alcoholic wine has a trace of the real stuff and may trigger your taste buds to want more. Good job on staying away. My obsession now is more food related so I am hoping I would be able to stay away from tasting it. I think if you are not drinking or taking something to get high it is not a relapse.