Notices

what would you do...

Old 05-08-2009, 02:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what would you do...

i cant sleep right now....
ok- I have decided to quit, honestly since I have tapered to 2 per day (from anywhere from 3 to 12 several weeks ago), I dont think I will flip out too badly, at least after the first day. and I do plan to go to meetings to keep my mind in focus, just so thats all out of the way.

anyway- reason for the post, and not looking for pity by the way- this is just the facts. One of my daughters is bipolar (18 yrs old) and with my insurance now her meds are 300/month. She has threatened many times to hurt herself when she is off the meds. She texted me tonight at 2am when I was asleep and needed to talk (doesnt live at home), like I would be awake. Funny how my other two 'kids' never have any medical costs...or any other issues for that matter. My new job, although good pay, doesnt cover insurance on family- i will have to pay it. Her med cost will probably shoot to 1000/month-which i definitely couldnt handle. and i mentioned earlier i would be away from my family all but 4 or 5 days per month which would drive me nuts. Option 2 is find another job- which has been nearly impossible. My back seems against the wall....I thought I would just get up for a second and vent. Going to try to get some sleep in 15 minutes or so. Just needed someone to talk to. I am going crazy, and if you knew me that is the exact opposite of my personality. Well anyway, Love to all- youre a great group.
Dub
Old 05-08-2009, 02:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

dub I would just stay in the day, you have a bird in the hand right now, so don't let it go to try to grab the 2 in the bush.

Dub I am the father of 6, the youngest are the twins at 17, so as a parent I can tell you that come hell or high water what needs to be done will be done. I would do what ever I could for the day to take care of things.

Then I would have her start checking with social services to see if she can get the meds she needs through them, another option is there are programs that pharmicetucal firms have that she can contact and if she qualifies she could get her meds either for free or at cost.

You have a job right now, I would not quit my job in any situation until I had another job to take. It is far easier to get another job while one has a job of any type then to get a job when one is unemployed, especially when they have chosen to be unemployed.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
dub I would just stay in the day, you have a bird in the hand right now, so don't let it go to try to grab the 2 in the bush.

Dub I am the father of 6, the youngest are the twins at 17, so as a parent I can tell you that come hell or high water what needs to be done will be done. I would do what ever I could for the day to take care of things.

Then I would have her start checking with social services to see if she can get the meds she needs through them, another option is there are programs that pharmicetucal firms have that she can contact and if she qualifies she could get her meds either for free or at cost.

You have a job right now, I would not quit my job in any situation until I had another job to take. It is far easier to get another job while one has a job of any type then to get a job when one is unemployed, especially when they have chosen to be unemployed.
Thanks man- good advice. I like the staying in the day. I seem to not do that a lot of times.
thanks again- Dub
Old 05-08-2009, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

since she does not live at home,can she get some kind of assistance from outside sources for her medicine?I would look and see if I could find something before I changed my job
Old 05-08-2009, 03:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there. I would get on the phone, get more numbers, ask questions, call clinics, do whatever you need to. There is help out there. I'd start with the "colored" pages in the front of the phone book and start there. You can do this. Anything is absolutely possible.

Believe me, been there, going through it right now. The squeaky wheel will get the oil.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

I agree with bballdad, can't she find some other way to afford her meds?

I got diagnosed bipolar (rapid cycling type 1) and I don't take meds. I'm twenty-one and live alone and although my meds are currently free they wont be in a month. If I needed to pay for them, if i chose to take them, I'd have to afford them myself or find out about any way I could get them through the government.

Do you live in England? If you do then enquire about Disability Living Allowence for your daughter. She can either apply for this herself, especially if she is unable to work because of her condition, or you could put a claim in as her carer. If the application is succesful you can then claim for housing benefit and income support and the cost of scripts will either be reduced or covered by the NHS.

If you don't live in England then I'm sorry, I'm not sure what the laws are in other countries.

Like the others said, I wouldn't jack in the job just yet.

All the best, thoughts are with you.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi dub,

She might be able to qualify for Medicaid if she doesn't have enough income. Also, what about those cheap prescriptions at Walmart that they advertized on TV? Maybe she can get at least some of her meds there?

Good luck!
OB
Old 05-08-2009, 04:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks everyone- i will try to answer all previous responses on this post.I dont live in England- but have 2 good friends from there who are awesome.

I already buy all of her meds at walmart- she takes 9 different meds (which sounds ridiculous to me, but dr prescribed)....some are $4, some are $100 (with good insurance now- which is ending when i get my new job because of their crappy insurance.

just to clarify- I am on COBRA from my previous job which had great insurance but the office closed....great

I am going to make some calls today to see any help we may be able to get, excellent advice. I just wonder if they see my income will they disqualify me- i have 2 kids in college and that is also costing a fortune....even with my decent paycheck my expenses- which arent luxury items by the way (college, meds, etc) will they tell me no- but i will try. thanks

If she stops taking this stuff I am almost certain she will flip out and God forbid do something bad. She has already been in a psychiatric center for a week a couple of years ago (before the meds) for a week because she was afraid she was going to hurt herself- and I am pretty sure she would. How does $6000 sound for 5 days, not covered by insurance. Nice hit on the budget.

One more thing- she is hanging out with this guy that I know is involved or at least frequently around illegal stuff- I know what it looks like- I have been there- pinned pupils, etc etc. That isnt helping, but she will not listen to me on that subject.

I can tell you all one thing- If it doesnt kill me, it will make me stronger as they say. I think I slept 2 hrs last night.....

Thanks everyone-
Dub
Old 05-08-2009, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

back in a minute- making breakfast for my other daughter and son- they get up really early for school....later
Dub
Old 05-08-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow! That's alot of money for meds, maybe they have generic medications that she can take.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eeerooo View Post
Wow! That's alot of money for meds, maybe they have generic medications that she can take.
they are all generic, go figure.....I guess 9 meds a month can add up. I have made sure of the generic factor.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dedubya View Post
they are all generic, go figure.....I guess 9 meds a month can add up. I have made sure of the generic factor.
clarify- the ones that are available in generic.....
Old 05-08-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Odd you should post this now. I'm bipolar (diagnosed as bipolar II) after years of chronic depressive episodes. Right now I'm manic, which feels great but can be a bad thing because that's when we make bad decisions (jobs, relationships etc). I am on 5 meds and also go to Walmart. Mine are over $400/month. The generic is a good way to go, but I've had a reaction to one (I felt like I was paralyzed). FDA approved means almost nothing to me.

One thing I can tell you is that if she is in a depressive episode, not only is she in a place where she might feel desperate, but helping herself is much easier said than done. If you haven't been there, you don't know. Depression is painful in a way I can't explain. Small chores become huge issues. When I'm like that I typically run out of meds, don't see a doctor because I just can't. Telling me to "just get out and go for a walk" makes me mad. That is not an option. I know people mean well but they just don't know.

I self medicated with alcohol. It's a constant game with these meds if you're bipolar. You never know how one med will affect you at the time. I feel like a guinea pig. I always knew how alcohol would make me feel.

So pm me anytime my friend.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mamabin View Post
Odd you should post this now. I'm bipolar (diagnosed as bipolar II) after years of chronic depressive episodes. Right now I'm manic, which feels great but can be a bad thing because that's when we make bad decisions (jobs, relationships etc). I am on 5 meds and also go to Walmart. Mine are over $400/month. The generic is a good way to go, but I've had a reaction to one (I felt like I was paralyzed). FDA approved means almost nothing to me.

One thing I can tell you is that if she is in a depressive episode, not only is she in a place where she might feel desperate, but helping herself is much easier said than done. If you haven't been there, you don't know. Depression is painful in a way I can't explain. Small chores become huge issues. When I'm like that I typically run out of meds, don't see a doctor because I just can't. Telling me to "just get out and go for a walk" makes me mad. That is not an option. I know people mean well but they just don't know.

I self medicated with alcohol. It's a constant game with these meds if you're bipolar. You never know how one med will affect you at the time. I feel like a guinea pig. I always knew how alcohol would make me feel.

So pm me anytime my friend.
cool avatar by the way- I sent you a pm. Thanks much. Dub
Old 05-08-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If she's 18 and living on her own she should qualify for medical assistance of some sort. She sounds like a good candidate for Medicaid or Social Security disability, plus there are usually lots of state programs which could help her. Check to see if there's a Community Service Board or its equivalent where she lives. They're there just for the purpose of helping folks like your daughter.

Get some sleep, man. And knock off the "2 per day".
Old 05-08-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Taz made excellent points, as did Joe.. (and of course everyone else, but I'm short on time here folks LOL). I work with similar situations at my job. Every pharmaceutical company (pretty much) has a Patient Assistance Program. The BEST way to find help with the cost of meds, is to go to needymeds.com, look up the meds, and see what might be available for financial assistance.

I don't know if you're in the US, so I'm going to just make an assumption here that you are.

She may very well be eligible for Medicaid, it is for people with low income/disabilities (in her case.. there's a bunch of other people eligible too). That is run by the state, and you would contact Social Services, and being 18, she will need to apply.

If she can be determined disabled, she could eventually receive Medicare after applying for Social Security Disability Income. SSDI would provide her with an "income", I quote it because it is low. To be determined disabled she will need to prove that she is too disabled to work. It's not easy, and 62% of people are denied the first time, there is an appeal process, and attorneys can help (and they dont' charge if they lose!) to appeal. After someone is found eligible for SSDI, they have to wait 24 months for Medicare, which now after many many years finally has a prescription program (part D).

She may be dually qualified, eventually for medicaid and medicare, and that would be a great thing (what one doesn't pick up, usually the other does), people in that circumstance are called dual eligible.

Sorry.. putting a bunch of info that you wont need yet. I would call Social Services and inquire about Medicaid services, and she should apply. Then, once you find the information for the specific meds she takes on needymeds, call the Patient Assistance Programs and ask for an application for the different meds. The assistance is based on income and need, if she's not working, she might qualify to get the meds for free, for up to 2 years in some cases.

PM me if you want me to help you..