Notices

starting IOP soon

Old 05-03-2009, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

starting IOP soon

Hi all,

I'm starting IOP soon and I am getting terrified! The classes are three days a week for three hours each, I cant imagine spending three hours with people, what do they do? Can anyone please give me an idea of what to expect? Thanks <3
Old 05-03-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am starting a live in rehab next Sunday and they have structure days going through al the points based on recovery following the 12 steps program. I'm sure you will have a blast and get some help, personally i cannot wait to get there...no more bars, booze, dealing with everyday problems for a month...heaven!
Old 05-03-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey adore. Take a deep breath, it's going to be great!!! I was residential and that wasn't so bad. In fact, we residential were quite a bit jealous of the out-patient as at least they got to go home at the end of the day. LOL!!

You'll probably cover a lot of different issues. 12 Step programs, changing things in your life, your past and history. Probably a little written work with a lot of discussion. It's incredibly helpful and I bet in the end you'll be so happy that you did it.

There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of. It's just like going to a regular classroom except it will be "life classes". Wish they would have taught those in regular school.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I put myself in an IOP Program back in 2005 and I think it was one of the best things I ever did for myself and my Recovery. . . I'm serious. The Counselors/Directors of the Program have all different kinds of groups and things all planned out, it's not like you'll be sitting there staring at each other for hours on end, bored out of your mind.

The Program I was in had groups in relapse prevention, the different levels of addiction, nutrition (which is more important than most realize) warning signs of relapse, how to appropriately express feelings and identifying feelings . . . there were so many different things. We also saw some videos and even watched a movie or two on addiction. I'm sure you'll get a break or two in there. We got a 20 minute break which was great for us smokers, this gave us time to also hit the vending machines to get a cold soda or a cup of coffee.

Hon, don't stress yourself about this. You are very fortunate to be able to go into IOP. There are so many people who would love to be able to go into such a Program. Count your Blessings and realize that you are getting a gift that can change your life. You get out of it what you put into it.

Judy
Old 05-03-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Adore,

IOP is a great activity for those interested in long term sobriety. The more recovery related time spent and activity we have the better our chances of remaining sober. We need a lot of reminders that alcohol is bad for us to keep our selective memory from remembering the very few real positive experiences of drinking and forgetting all the bad stuff that happened as a result of drinking.

Some IOP provide 12 step information and have patients actively working on the steps. Since you are already involved with AA and have a Sponsor this would be the best source to actually work the steps.

Opinions vary on this but for me I need ongoing recovery support and AA has been an outstanding source for that.

Hope everything goes well for you Adore!!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my treatment center was (in patient) but was a great experience for me! it will be good for you felly!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The time will fly... you'll learn so much.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nerdly

I went to IOP for 6 weeks. My experience was that I was warmly welcomed, accepted, educated, and felt comfortable being open and honest. Our days generally consisted of reading a meditation in the morning and processing it and telling how we felt about the day before and how we are feeling now. We would discuss a step, maybe watch a video or have a speaker etc. Once or twice a week someone would tell their story and through those stories the group became very close. I made friends and we went to AA/NA meetings together. We also exchanged phone numbers to support each other while not in class. We did plenty of other things and the day would go by quite quickly.

It was for me a great experience. I'm sure different IOP's have different ways of doing things but I think most can be an enriching experience.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. My therapist is kinda against the idea, he says many of them will be court ordered there (like me) and wont take it serious. I plan to take it seriously but my social phobia is already kicking in a week out. I dont know.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well if it is a vote, i vote you go and get as much out of it as you possibly can! Hope you do:-)
Old 05-03-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by adore79 View Post
Thanks everyone. My therapist is kinda against the idea, he says many of them will be court ordered there (like me) and wont take it serious. I plan to take it seriously but my social phobia is already kicking in a week out. I dont know.
Maybe you could ask your therapist to help you prepare for this experience? Challenging your irrational beliefs, and replacing them with positive, helpful affirmations could relieve your dread. For instance:

"Everyone will judge me"
==> "We're all in the same boat; I'm part of the crowd"

"I don't belong here"
==> "I deserve all the help I can get, and to be looked after; I might enjoy it."

"I'll be rejected"
==> "I'm a good, likeable person; maybe I'll make a few friends "

"I'm scared"
==> "Change is challenging, but necessary. It will pay off."

And so on.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sounds like maybe your therapist sees IOP as 'competition'.

I would seriously question any therapist making such a statement and not encouraging you to try different avenues of recovery.

I'd rather a therapist say, "Let's give IOP a shot, but beware of people who are court-ordered to be there, they may not have their best interests in mind..."

Just my opinion.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

intensive outpatient program.

I am a little skeptical also, that the people who will be helping me are also going to be drug testing me, it seems a little counter-intuitive. But i realize that they didnt make me drink, and they didnt make me drink and drive.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by adore79 View Post
adore, remember that you are there for you!!! Believe me, in residential there are still to this day PLENTY of people that have been court ordered there.......what they do has NOTHING to do with me.

I'm willing to be you'll like it.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I imagine you will be getting talks and stuff so it won't be about talking about yourself or anything. If they go around the room getting people to share say "pass", if you like.

I think Matt made a good suggestion, your therapist should be trying to help you with this IMO.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just like so many things, you'll get out of it as much as you put into it. Court ordered or not, use it to strengthen your sobriety and work on any 'issues' you may have related to drinking. Go with an open mind and be determined to do the best 'for you'. I'm sure it won't be so bad as you may think. And yes, your therapist's remark was not helpful, in my humble opinion! Why plant a negative thought in your mind about something you haven't done yet?? You'll be fine, I'm sure!
Old 05-03-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mine was court-ordered and it would have been a very helpful experience if I'd been receptive to it. I was only sober because I kept getting tested - I still wasn't ready to quit, all I wanted was to get my license back. Most of the people there were the same, but only one or two had a bad attitude. I think most of us were scared & miserable, but we wanted to learn what we could. We were asked to participate a little, raise our hands to answer once in awhile, but nothing I couldn't handle - and I'm like you, F, very self-conscious.

I think you've sounded so good the last few weeks - I've read your posts and you seem like a new girl - I'll bet you do just great.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Have you ever been to groups before at all?

They arent bad. Its like being here sorta but f2f.

Your therapist doesnt sound very helpful.
Why would he say such a thing.
Who cares why anyone else is there. All that matters is you and what you do with it.
I know its scary to go sit that long with strangers and talk about personal stuff.
But just like meetings. You dont have to spill your guts right away.
Do participate a little at least tho.
You will be fine after you get use to it. I am sure it wont take too long.
Just eb yourself and remember what your there for. You an only you.
Good lUck fel. Your gonna do fine.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your support, I am starting to feel a little better about it. I havent been in any group like this, or any group really. I guess high school classes are like being in a group. Anyway, thanks again everyone. xo
Old 05-04-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Just me...

Youu are goinng to doo GREATT!!!!