Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Dealing with a constantly frustrating situation without drinking...

Notices

Dealing with a constantly frustrating situation without drinking...

Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Sweets, congrats on your 5 days! I can't imagine having liquor in my home especially in early sobriety but obviously you can't make other people live by your rules unless you own the place. I got angry a lot in the beginning and whenever I got angry/sad/depressed (pretty much any excuse...) I'd eat M&Ms, massive quantities of them (I'd buy 4 lb bags) and it worked for me and M&Ms became my addiction for about 9 months. Yes I gained a lot of weight but the weight of being a drunk was lifted off my shoulders. So I figure with a moniker of "Sweets 79" maybe you can relate.

Judy
Old 05-01-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
Sweets7, having liquor in the house when you are trying to stay sober is a big challenge. We were talking about this the other day in one of my AA groups and people report not being able to have alcohol in their house when they first got sober...anywhere from 1 to 10 years.
You are living with a roommate. Is this person in a relationship with you or are you simply sharing a living space?
Have you discussed having some rules about alcohol? If this roommate is just a roommate and not anything more, could you ask him/her to keep their liquor locked up?
It is a complicated situation...One of the reasons I am here right now, is because I can't go stay at my house in the meantime, while I look for a higher paying job...My parents are still together and my father is an active alcoholic, and he has become addicted to Vicodin in the past few years, so that isn't a healthy environment for me to be in...this is my only option for now...As far as having liquor in the house, I know better than that...I could never have it around now, especially just being almost 1 week sober, It would last maybe 2 days in here, if that...my roommate doesn't drink, so fortunately that isn't a problem...I think the best thing I can do for now is just ignore any comments that will upset me or frustrate me at this sensitive time, easier said than done...There are bigger things going on besides just this, but it happens to be a trigger...especially when you're actually living with someone who continually frustrates you, and has no idea what it's like to even go a day without a drink...I'm very thankful for this board though, because I see that people do relate, are supportive, and UNDERSTAND...It's odd how sometimes people you don't know can be more supportive than people you've known for years.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Sweets funny you should bring this up, here is what my experience is on this that I just finished typing in another post, basically how I use the Serenity prayer:

One of the most beneficial things I have learned to help me in my day to day life I picked up out of the BB & the rooms. When ever I get angry, frustrated, confused, etc., just STOP!!!!!!

When I feel strong emotions or confusion coming on I have found that if I can just STOP!!! Do absolutley NOTHING immediately, in other words I do not react, I calm myself by finding a quiet spot even if it is just in my head..... slowly think about what is going on and ask myself a question like "Is there anything involved with this that I have control over?" If the answer is yes, then I need to calmly decide what is the right action to take, this decision may involve some silent prayer/meditation or now that I am calm the right answer may be quite appearant, if not I will seek the advice of someone who may have a good answer.

Okay now here is where it gets a bit tough, if the answer to the question "Is there anything involved with this that I have control over?" is no, then I simply accept it for what it is, something I can not change or control I just turn it over to my HP or what ever powers may be that does have control.

It takes time and practice to STOP, but I can tell you that I make far fewer mistakes and amends then I did when I was drinking and hold no resentments nor do I have any guilt or shame over my actions. Life is good when I apply the above.

Keep your sobriety #1 as you said you are doing, just do what you have to do and accept what you have to accept, not always easy, but when done life becomes smoother, not perfect, or even great, but smoother.
Tazman thank you sooooooooooooooooooomuch for that! What you just said is worth so much...When I feel those strong emotions and confusion and all that, I find it so hard to just stop...so I see where you're saying how tough it gets...I need to practice being able to do that, especially when I realize I don't have control over a situation and there is NOTHING I can do about it, that makes the frustration worse, which then fuels the drinking more...Those are true words of wisdom and golden advice.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
Hi Sweets, congrats on your 5 days! I can't imagine having liquor in my home especially in early sobriety but obviously you can't make other people live by your rules unless you own the place. I got angry a lot in the beginning and whenever I got angry/sad/depressed (pretty much any excuse...) I'd eat M&Ms, massive quantities of them (I'd buy 4 lb bags) and it worked for me and M&Ms became my addiction for about 9 months. Yes I gained a lot of weight but the weight of being a drunk was lifted off my shoulders. So I figure with a moniker of "Sweets 79" maybe you can relate.

Judy
Aww Judy your sweet, thanks for your input...I've been doing this with sunflower seeds lately lol.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hon I do not care who it is, if you have your priority of sobriety as #1 just walk away, oh trust me I used to love to vent my frustrations right back at what was frustrating me and if it was an individual the frustration never got better, it snowballed.

You see I had to quit fighting, it served no purpose except to PO myself and others.

I would suggest that if this person likes to annoy you to just walk away, if they follow just keep walking. It takes 2 people to argue!!!

There are people who love to argue, I was one of them, I was going to get the last word in no matter what!!! There were a few folks that the second I tried to argue with them they would just walk away or clam up. Guess what? I stopped trying to argue with them. Looking back on it, they won every arguement I ever had with them by simply refusing to sink to my level.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Stay in the moment, stay calm, breathe. The world is right the way it is and everything is changing and progressing as it should be even though it isnt always the way we want it to. Hang in there
Old 05-01-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Sweets, go to this website, plug in your zip code and I can assure you that you will find a phone number there. Alcoholics Anonymous AA in (most of) New York State
What a surprise...they don't have ANY meetings in my area...I just checked..Probably have to drive to one of the surrounding boroughs. I will have to call the number.