Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

So this is what it feels like, the first few days without a drink...ugh

Notices

So this is what it feels like, the first few days without a drink...ugh

Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Sweets,

Your story reminds me so much of my own. Female, early 30s. I am on day 8, by the way, so probably won't offer any deep insights, just my feelings.

Father was perhaps not an alcoholic but a mean heavy drinker. Guess that's how I learned to solve my problems with alcohol. Started in early teens, on and off, heavy at times, very heavy during the last year. Depression has been a part of my life as long as I can remember. And alcohol and depression are a dangerous combination, fueling each other.

And so I drank to drown out emotions. I used to say that the reason I was drinking was that with each drink my world became smaller and smaller, reduced to the room where I was drinking and then to just the space between me and my bottle. An illusion of having control...

I decided to stop because after my last week of drinking I knew it would kill me if I don't. It's been rough. Withdrawal symptoms got better but are still there. Raw emotions are on the surface. I've never been more irritable in my life. And the cravings, of course, the cravings every day.

Read the post about Surlyredhead's last day of drinking from a couple of days ago. She said that she needed to remember what it was like to never go back. I also wrote down how I felt my last week of drinking, how freaked out and desperate I was, how much it hurt. I also want to remember so I can heal.

Good luck and keep us posted!
OB
Old 04-27-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by OceanBound View Post
Hi Sweets,

Your story reminds me so much of my own. Female, early 30s. I am on day 8, by the way, so probably won't offer any deep insights, just my feelings.

Father was perhaps not an alcoholic but a mean heavy drinker. Guess that's how I learned to solve my problems with alcohol. Started in early teens, on and off, heavy at times, very heavy during the last year. Depression has been a part of my life as long as I can remember. And alcohol and depression are a dangerous combination, fueling each other.

And so I drank to drown out emotions. I used to say that the reason I was drinking was that with each drink my world became smaller and smaller, reduced to the room where I was drinking and then to just the space between me and my bottle. An illusion of having control...

I decided to stop because after my last week of drinking I knew it would kill me if I don't. It's been rough. Withdrawal symptoms got better but are still there. Raw emotions are on the surface. I've never been more irritable in my life. And the cravings, of course, the cravings every day.

Read the post about Surlyredhead's last day of drinking from a couple of days ago. She said that she needed to remember what it was like to never go back. I also wrote down how I felt my last week of drinking, how freaked out and desperate I was, how much it hurt. I also want to remember so I can heal.

Good luck and keep us posted!
OB
Thank you so much for your story. I do remember the end of December I went on a binge, and I already have GI problems, so the drinking was making it worse. I felt so sick, my stomach problems got even worse...I am trying to remember that. I stopped drinking for 2 weeks at that point, because I was scared for my health. I started feeling a little better and went back slowly...I can't lie, I am cranky and irritable as all hell. I'm not in the mood to talk to anyone, yet I don't feel like being alone either. Posting on here has helped me today, but there's alot more days ahead. I don't really have a hard time falling asleep, but ofcourse the drinking would make me more relaxed and tired before bed...now I'm just kind of restless and wired, and yes I have all the raw emotions that the drinking would numb...But then I noticed after awhile from drinking so much, it would just take more and more to do the job, I always needed one more to help me relax a little more. I will keep posting and reading.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post
...I know stress and dissapointment are an unavoidable part of life, so I think it's better I just concentrate on myself for now...
You said something well worth remembering there
Old 04-28-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joinedintime View Post
You said something well worth remembering there
Glad you pointed that out. I just wish I could actually DO that. I think I've always been too worried about meeting someone, because I hate being alone...and the guys I've met have really all been jerks...maybe it's just who I pick, I don't know. Sometimes I really feel like giving up..The cravings are really bad right now...I hope I can do this.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You can do this Sweets, you really can. I understand those horrible cravings.
Giving in to them will just make it so you have to go through it all again. Each hour, heck each minute you choose to stay sober brings you closer to that light at the end of the tunnel. Believe me, it's there.

I have relapsed more times then I can count. Now that is an awful way to live. I have 30+ days sober this time. I never want to go through those first few weeks again.

There is a ton of support here on SR. Just stick around and don't worry about accomplishing anything except for staying sober right now.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mtnmagic View Post
You can do this Sweets, you really can. I understand those horrible cravings.
Giving in to them will just make it so you have to go through it all again. Each hour, heck each minute you choose to stay sober brings you closer to that light at the end of the tunnel. Believe me, it's there.

I have relapsed more times then I can count. Now that is an awful way to live. I have 30+ days sober this time. I never want to go through those first few weeks again.

There is a ton of support here on SR. Just stick around and don't worry about accomplishing anything except for staying sober right now.
Thanks, that means alot to me...It's those feelings of dread and hopelessness ya know, and not even caring anymore..seems like they never pass. The drinking covered it up for awhile now...I had just said something in another post that I am prone to depression already, which is one of the reasons I started drinking, and now it's really back in full force...that's what worries me..I think I might need to see a good D.R. and even though I'm not a fan of meds, I might have to be on some for awhile...Now that the summer is here I should be happy, instead I'm too worried about guys and other people, not truly focusing on finding myself and getting better...I've also gained some weight from the drinking and overeating, which makes it even harder for me to want to go out and do things..so I am in a big rut. Right now I am trying to lose some weight, which I've done before and I know requires tons of motivation. So not only am I trying to stay sober, I'm also trying to lose some lbs...Just trying to not look to far ahead, and get through one day at a time.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sweets,

Definitely go see a doctor about your depression but don't just leave with a script and no plan to learn the coping skills. Docs are quick to prescribe antidepressants but it's so much harder to understand what made you depressed and how to react to the same situations in the future. I know, I'm the one to talk. But what I learned in therapy is the ways to try to change my warped thinking, and that's what depression really is, it's a warped thought process in response to life's situations.

Exercise helps a lot and that's the only "healthy addiction" that I know. Your brain produces endorphins and makes you feel better. I am really grateful I can exercise now because with so much irritability and without exercise I was almost ready to punch somebody in the face at the slightest provocation. And you can kill two birds with one stone: weight and mood problems. It won't be the solution but a very useful tool I found. Give it a try!

OB
Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OceanBound View Post
Sweets,

Definitely go see a doctor about your depression but don't just leave with a script and no plan to learn the coping skills. Docs are quick to prescribe antidepressants but it's so much harder to understand what made you depressed and how to react to the same situations in the future. I know, I'm the one to talk. But what I learned in therapy is the ways to try to change my warped thinking, and that's what depression really is, it's a warped thought process in response to life's situations.

Exercise helps a lot and that's the only "healthy addiction" that I know. Your brain produces endorphins and makes you feel better. I am really grateful I can exercise now because with so much irritability and without exercise I was almost ready to punch somebody in the face at the slightest provocation. And you can kill two birds with one stone: weight and mood problems. It won't be the solution but a very useful tool I found. Give it a try!

OB

That is very true about the meds...They are quick to prescribe but don't really care to talk...I had a bad experience with one D.R. He prescribed one anti-depressent along with xanax and klonopin...Then he changed the anti-depressent to another one and upped it by 20 mgs...I can't tell you the side effects and withdrawal symptoms I went through. When I called his office, he wouldn't even return my call... Ofcourse I don't deal with him anymore. I know usually the psychiatrists just like to write out scripts, and they refer you to a psychologist for the cognitive therapy...Hopefully I can find two decent doctors.

I know exactly what you mean about wanting to just punch someone in the face at the slightest thing...I have severe agitation and feel like that all the time...even when I was drinking I would get like that, but now that I haven't had a drink in a few days, the irritability is real intense...That coupled with just the thoughts I have about things gone wrong, and things going on in the present isn't a good combo...But I got through today, that's all I can ask for...I am just taking it one hour at a time.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post
Glad you pointed that out. I just wish I could actually DO that. I think I've always been too worried about meeting someone, because I hate being alone...and the guys I've met have really all been jerks...maybe it's just who I pick, I don't know. Sometimes I really feel like giving up..The cravings are really bad right now...I hope I can do this.
Work on yourself. You will attract better guys when you're in a better place. AND you'll be attracted to better guys then. In the mean time reach out to people that want to help you here and elsewhere....you're not alone.