Notices

Star Trek's 'clean and sober' episode

Old 04-23-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile Star Trek's 'clean and sober' episode

Star Trek tng has a great "clean and sober" show, from the first season. It's been so long since I saw it I'd forgotten. Two races on neighboring planets: one grows and refines the "medicine" and the other "needs" the medicine. Each claims possession of the "medicine". Picard's way of dealing with the ethical dilemma is very good, imo, and the show is a good discussion on addiction.

If you don't care about 'spoilers', PM me and I'll give you a synopsis if you don't feel like finding it and watching it. The episode is called Symbiosis. I think it's a great watch. And since their first season was a little 'spotty' and hokey it's nice to find an episode with such a good message done so well.

"Live long and prosper"... but that's tos, sorry, how about "Make it so".
Old 04-23-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

We watched that episode in Group in IOP last year.
It was pretty well written.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ridgeback Lover

I remember that episode. lol. Not to spoil but it was the haves vs the have-nots. I remember that their detox was not pretty. There was some press with the show at the time because they tried to copy the social significance that the original star trek had: like the half black / half white dudes. lol

Jean Luc Picard Rocks
They could have done without #1 however. lol
Old 04-23-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember that episode as well.

Does anyone remember when Worf decided to try prune juice on a recommendation from Guianan (he hadn't been feeling well) and he got drunk off of it and started singing glorious Klingon battle songs? LOL!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Of course they copied it, in a new way, cause Gene Roddenberry insisted that the shows always be about human issues... human issues while roaming the galaxy in the 24th century. I sure miss "the great bird", as they called him. Miss Majel Barrett too.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I vaguely remember the episode Least.

Remember the one where there was some game they all got addicted to? They got a rush of pleasure getting the ball in the hole or something and were all walking around playing it the whole time? It was like a computer game they played by wearing special glasses or something.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

When I first saw this tittle I was thinking of the episode where the crew member got hooked on using the holodeck all the time and I think he got to the point he couldn't function in the real world or something like that. Been a long time since I've seen that episode.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember that one, Bard. I musta been a trekkie and forgot! LOL
Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Bard, that was called Hollow Pursuits. Barclay was the holoaddict.

And Stone, the one you remember was called The Game...
Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Bard, that was called Hollow Pursuits. Barclay was the holoaddict.

And Stone, the one you remember was called The Game...
Jeez Least you may be the only person on the planet that has equal or better knowledge to me on BOTH Star Trek AND alcohol!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wasn't Barclay in a later episode where he was hooked into the computer and became all powerful or something?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not a trekkie, but I love ya all anyway.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

oooohhhhh its been freakin ages since I have watched Star Trek. I might need to go back and start at the start of Next Gen again. Thanks for whetting the appetite.

Any other sci fi series recommendations would be appreciated also now that I have Battlestar almost to the end I have lots of free time again :-)
Old 04-23-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
mergirl

off topic a bit, but you reminded me of the only pokiemon episode I ever watched. I hated the concept of the show, pets fighting pets (being a pit bull lover it hits too close to home), but my nephew had it on one day and there was town (neon town) of people who never slept. I knew why. . .been there done that. One of the pokie dudes is a little pink marshmellow named jigglypuff and when he sings the whole town finally falls asleep. I remember thinking I sure could have used that little guy back in the day. . .
Old 04-24-2009, 04:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stone, Barclay's 'computer' episode was called "The Nth Degree".

Dgillz, the only reason for my knowledge is that I recently got the entire tng series on DVD and have been on a Trek Marathon lately! Not to mention all the Star Trek books I've gotten for Christmas and birthdays! But yes, I'm a trekkie for sure!

When I first saw Symbiosis it was years ago and I was not addicted to anything at that time. I didn't get the addiction message that's in the show cause I had no addictions. This time the message was loud and clear.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

They invented "synthahol".

Say no more
Old 04-24-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey long time no see El Chup, how did I know you were a trekkie ?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Electrickery (love your name, btw!) The three sci fi series I like the best are all old: The Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, and Night Gallery. But there are many more. Hey, if you haven't already seen it, check out the Star Trek "social group" in the forum of that name.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...out-there.html

The only thing I miss about not having television is not being able to watch the Sci Fi channel!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

OK how about TOS episode where Scotty is trying to get one of the aliens drunk and the alien drank all but the last bottle. Scotty - pretty drunk himself - uncorks this ugly green stuff and pours a couple. The alien asked what is was. Scotty attempted to read the label, then smelled it, and finally said "Its green".

After drinking it both Scotty and the alien pass out.

Classic stuff.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I remember that one! It's quote "it is green" was done again in the episode Relics, with James Doohan. Data pours Scotty a drink after noting that "it is green".

Now I'm going to have to rent some of the original series episodes and watch them. Classic Trek! Spock was my favorite, especially when he lifted one eyebrow and said "fascinating".

I completely forgot (how could I? I'll lose my trekkie status) the original series episode The Naked Time (and tng's The Naked Now) where the crew got "drunk" from a strange water molecule's effects. Hilarious!