Notices

Rockbottom, Need Advice on AA

Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you ALL for your replies and support. It really means a great deal to me that people just come out of the woodwork when a total stranger reaches out for help. You are all a blessing to me.

I got up the courage and went to a meeting. And guess what? It was awesome! I was quite nervous at first as I walked in they were reading from the book and passing it around. I sat next to a guy and when he started reading, it seemed that the entire 3 paragraphs that he read were about me.

At the end of the reading, it was open discussion and about 6 people spoke. Every one of them, without even looking at me, discussed their first time at a meeting and how their lives were saved by staying. Most of them had anywhere from a year to 15 years sober. I could tell they were doing that for my benefit since I was the only new person there.

At the end, I was asked if I wanted a 24 hr chip. I said I haven't been sober 24 hours yet, and they said "you will in a few hours, here is your chip". As I walked up, everybody was clapping. Then as we were dispersing, I was approached by several people shaking my hand, hugging me, asking me to come back. They all said the same thing... "Don't be afraid and just keep coming back". Then they all wrote down their phone #s on the pamphlet and told me to call anytime, 24 hours a day. This meeting takes place every day of the week at the same time, and it fits perfectly with my schedule. I will be going back tomorrow and here on out and learn the program and start working it.

I am stunned and feel like I have suddenly found a light at the end of the tunnel with that meeting and this site.

Thanks again all. I plan on being here for a while.

from Scar
Old 04-23-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

One day at a time is all u need. Stay in
the day that's it.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you......
I'm so pleased you are going to move forward
Old 04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey

I too have the same concerns about AA. My first experience with AA was when I was very young and got a DWI. I was forced by the court to go to meetings. It was an awful experience for me... smoke filled rooms with horrible stories. Now I am in my late 30's and I am too scared I will find someone in the meeting's that I come across in my business. I am going to counseling now and I am reading the book "Sober for Good" It is a great book about all alternatives that will fit your needs and personality.
My Dad is an alcoholic and he quit on his own 20 years ago (after my mother left him... but they are still going strong!) AA is not the only way.... and completely having the desire to quit doesn't work as well (at least not for me). Having a support system knowing you are not the only ONE does work!
We are not alone! You are not alone!
I wish you love and luck!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Awesome description of your first meeting Scar.

All of the reservations kinda melted away real fast for me when I discovered how wonderful the people are.

Thanks for sharing your first meeting experience!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Thank you ALL for your replies and support. It really means a great deal to me that people just come out of the woodwork when a total stranger reaches out for help. You are all a blessing to me.

I got up the courage and went to a meeting. And guess what? It was awesome! I was quite nervous at first as I walked in they were reading from the book and passing it around. I sat next to a guy and when he started reading, it seemed that the entire 3 paragraphs that he read were about me.

At the end of the reading, it was open discussion and about 6 people spoke. Every one of them, without even looking at me, discussed their first time at a meeting and how their lives were saved by staying. Most of them had anywhere from a year to 15 years sober. I could tell they were doing that for my benefit since I was the only new person there.

At the end, I was asked if I wanted a 24 hr chip. I said I haven't been sober 24 hours yet, and they said "you will in a few hours, here is your chip". As I walked up, everybody was clapping. Then as we were dispersing, I was approached by several people shaking my hand, hugging me, asking me to come back. They all said the same thing... "Don't be afraid and just keep coming back". Then they all wrote down their phone #s on the pamphlet and told me to call anytime, 24 hours a day. This meeting takes place every day of the week at the same time, and it fits perfectly with my schedule. I will be going back tomorrow and here on out and learn the program and start working it.

I am stunned and feel like I have suddenly found a light at the end of the tunnel with that meeting and this site.

Thanks again all. I plan on being here for a while.

from Scar
Damn it!!! Scarface, that post brought a tear to my eye!!! It took me back to when I first got a glimmer of hope going to a meeting, that little glimmer of hope those people gave me in that meeting saved and changed my life.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Scar, that is absolutely AWESOME!!!!!