Notices

Just checking in

Old 04-07-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just checking in

I'm still a little new here, but wanted to let everyone know that I'm still around, today is day 23 for me! I had an absolutley great weekend, went drag racing for the 1st time in 20 years (I was either too drunk or too hung over to do it up until now). I was running mid-8sec times in the 1/8th mile if that means anything to anyone - faster than almost all the "street" cars like mine but slower than pretty much all the full-time race cars. It was such a rush. Afterwords,though, I was REALLY tempted to go get some beer to celebrate, but I fought that urge off. Barring rain this weekend I'm going back Friday night, this time with drag slicks.

I'm staying busy, telling myself "I'll drink tomorrow if I still want a drink then". But today is always today and tomorrow never comes.

I stayed up late last night working on a home project. That used to mean getting drunk and doing crappy work. Not last night though.

Looking forward to my 30-days...
Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thats great news Saddler, Im so proud of you. You are using the one day at a time idea exactly the way it should be used. Keep up the good work.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 23 days. Those sober "firsts" will keep happening as long as you don't take that drink. Keep coming back!!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

well done, 23 days is something to be proud of
Old 04-07-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saddler View Post
I'm still a little new here, but wanted to let everyone know that I'm still around, today is day 23 for me! I had an absolutley great weekend, went drag racing for the 1st time in 20 years (I was either too drunk or too hung over to do it up until now). I was running mid-8sec times in the 1/8th mile if that means anything to anyone - faster than almost all the "street" cars like mine but slower than pretty much all the full-time race cars. It was such a rush. Afterwords,though, I was REALLY tempted to go get some beer to celebrate, but I fought that urge off. Barring rain this weekend I'm going back Friday night, this time with drag slicks.
OMG! You're a drag racer too!!??!! What kind of car? I have a '96 Saturn SL2 on nitrous. Runs mid eights in the 1/8th mile and turns around 13 second 1/4 mile times. Not bad for a 4 door sedan made for "families". hahahaha... Anyway, I am SO proud of you for going and having such a great time without doing your DOC. The last time I took the Satty out, I was still in active addiction. I hated being there, at the time, but went all the way to the 1/4 finals because my pride far outweighed my desire to use and I wouldn't lose on purpose. I would have had such a great time if I hadn't been active.
Anyway, I've been busy peeling off the decals and stuff. I had a lot of sponsors and a permanent number. I am thinking about putting the car back on the street and looking for something different to race. I've had the car since brand new in 1995. So I am keeping that car. Just time to move up to something bigger and better for racing, but it will probably start out slower than my Satty..LOL
I am looking for a Dart. Gotta be a 4 door and a stick. Nothing else will do. hahaha..
Anyway, enough chatter, congrats on your clean time. Keep up the good work! Remember, you can always call someone or come here if the urge is too strong. I had my first urges, in a while, last night, and I was on her chatting away!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was running my '71 Mach 1 - I have a '69 too, haven't taken it to the track yet. The best I could do was 8.69 - this was on street tires, and my 60' times were in the 2.0-2.4 range I guess because I had to baby it so much coming off the line to keep from spinning. Toward the end of the track I seemed to be majorly losing RPM/power. I was shifting from 1-2 at about 5600RPM, but once I got up to about the same RPM in 2nd (and basically to the end of the track), RPMs would start to fall off, sometimes I could hear popping (from the carb I think), power would fade, etc. After I got home I found out my fuel filter was almost completely clogged. So I think the carb was starving for fuel.

All in all it was a FUN day. I beat a new GTO, a few newer Mustang GTs, etc. Once I got out of the hole I could usually overtake the other car, but then gave up some toward the end of the track.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness. You've got my blood pumping now. LOL. I don't know much about carb cars, just EFI, but my boyfriend has a bunch of beautiful classics. A '37 Chevy, 2 '65 Fords, a '66 Ford, a '77 Ford, Ohhh, and the '53 (I think, it might be a '55, I can never remember) Ford, and an '87 Daily Driver. He's got a Harley, a boat, a camper, and a couple of project Fords not ready for the road yet.. He wants to make one of them a race car. Seems the drag racing bug bit him when we met. LOL.
I can hardly wait to go racing. I'll take the Satty out a couple times while I am looking for that Dart..
My Satty runs about that in the 1/8th mile. She's a 4 banger and a FWD, so she has two hits against her. I've never gotten better than a 2.10 60 foot out of her, but she overtakes other 13 second cars at the 1/8th easily. I'll be sad to see her leave the track as she is my first race car. Got me qualified for the ET Bracket finals a couple times (and went some rounds too!). Got second place for the Sportsman Bracket one year.. I love that car!
It will feel good to be back on the road in her again. In more ways that one. She's stuck on premium for her lifetime (engine mods), but she'll go farther on a tank of premium than my big ol' pick up will.. hahaha...
Thanks for sharing. My blood is pumping for the racing action now.
Keep up the racing stories and keep having fun!!! I am gonna subscribe to this thread and look for future updates.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good to see you saddler... really happy for you!

Keep it up.

Mark
Old 04-07-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on your clean time!!! I don't know anything about drag racing, except I love to WATCH it

Hugs and prayers!

Amy