Notices

New member and I'm scared to death!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New member and I'm scared to death!

I am trying so hard to stop drinking every night. I've been drinking wine every night for about a year. I am noticing today and yesterday I'm a bit nervous feeling when I wake up and get to work. I am scared to death of withdrawals as I have no insurance and cannot afford a doctor. Any advice?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh Im sorry.
I know that feeling all too well. I work in a bar, and it was pretty rare that I was completely sober the nights I was there. I just felt more comfortabl being around people if I had a few.
I would seek out an AA meeting & just give it a try, you never know you may get some really good ideas from them too.
Also stay here, post, read, and you will learn tons.
You are not alone.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks

I am just scared I'm gonna have withdrawals. My mom is in the hospital/rehabilitation center for a broken hip for another 6 weeks and my 2 kids and I live with her. Sometimes I feel all is falling apart. I have no idea what to do. I never thought this would be me.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

My advice is to drink a lot of water, take some multi as well as B vitamins, and don't eat large meals. I have been sober for 16 days now and I am going through several different withdrawla symptoms. Depending on how much wine you were drinking, you may not have the worst symptoms. Stay hydrated and eat healthy so you don't upset the stomach. If you have insomnia, headaches, body aches, bad dreams, shakes, etc....that is normal. If you have any way to get medical help, I would do it. Detoxing isn't something you ant to do by yourself.

My main piece of advice is don't give in to the voice that will tell you a glass of wine will make it all go away. If you don't stop drinking, it will never go away. Welcome to SR and keep posting. We need you as much as you need us.

Chris
Old 04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, anon. keep posting! hugs, k
Old 04-07-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel so guilty for all I've done while under the influence. Words that can't be taken back. Money wasted. Embarrassed those around me. How do I shake this guilt? What if I get sick?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been drinking til the point of being drunk everynight for 9 years and i am trying to quit also.I guess i have been lucky because i don't get the shakes.I do have problem sleeping,cravings and very emotional after about 3 days of being sober.Maybe for you the shakes will be all you get.At least you are trying to quit after 1 year instead abusing your liver like i have for so long.GOOD LUCK!!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When did your withdrawals start? See, I can't tell if I'm shaky due to that or if it's my nerves from all the crap I'm dealing with.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Welcome anon.
I dont have any advice other than see a Dr. But you said that isnt an option.
You can stop the madness and start to live a healthier life.
If you get sick. I would say go to the ER whether you have insurance or not. Worry about that bill later.
Dont risk your health just because you dont have insurance.
The past is the past. First put the wine down. Then work on clearing your mind and letting go of all that stuff you cant change.
There are programs out there. Free ones like meetings.
Glad you are here. Keep posting.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi anonchick,
I am new to this forum also. My advise is just concentrate on not drinking right now. If you have to just concentrate on not drinking for the next 5 minutes or 5 seconds. I don't know what to tell you about withdrawals because I am not a doctor but there may be a hotline where professional could advise you as to what to expect or precautions to take. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and keep coming back and postins.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My cravings start the first night i do not drink and i can never sleep.I usually end up drinking after 4 to 6 nights without.I have only been trying to quit for a few weeks.I started out taking 2 klonipins and 1 lunesta at night and after a couple of weeks and thinking i even had the flu i figured out that they was making me feel worse during the day than if i had drank the night before.Now i have to admit that it has got harder for me now that i can't take anything to help me sleep or maybe just knock me out at night.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
anon

I just wanted to welcome you to the site...
Sorry i dont have anything to add... i am lucky... my withdrawls were not as bad as others... i really hope you are as lucky as i was...
I agree with the others about trying to get any help medically that you can and there are groups out there who can help with the emotional stuff

be well
louis
Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! We are a fun gang of people.

The advice is always to go see a doctor, especially if you develop serious symptoms. For me, withdrawal would start to set in about 12 hours after my last drink, with the worst symptoms coming about 48 hours after. Here is a link to many of our personal stories about withdrawal.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Good luck. Sweats/chills and mild shaking you can get through yourself. If you develop into stage 2 withdrawal, it's time to head to the doctor. If you hit any stage 3 stuff, it's EMT time.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

son of lucybooz

Originally Posted by dhunt View Post
I have been drinking til the point of being drunk everynight for 9 years and i am trying to quit also.I guess i have been lucky because i don't get the shakes.I do have problem sleeping,cravings and very emotional after about 3 days of being sober.Maybe for you the shakes will be all you get.At least you are trying to quit after 1 year instead abusing your liver like i have for so long.GOOD LUCK!!
i was sober for 10 months and started back up then quit for 6 days and started back up, alcohol detox is no joke, im still sweating @ night, cant sleep and very emotional, i empathize with u, i havent slept well for 2 weeks, keep hanging thats what there telling me, and i believe them!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome! I was also a wine drinker. You can do this! I don't know what to say about the withdrawals except to be careful not to put yourself and your kids in any danger by doing it all alone without anyone knowing.. Lots of people on SR got through it without treatment.
Regarding the guilt and all that was a part of your drinking time - you will have a lifetime to work through that.. For now concentrate on not drinking.. when your head starts to clear up you might get some insights into how to approach the "damage"

But being here is HUGE - you are not alone! :ghug3
Keep posting - and reading around SR.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. Is there a free clinic you can go to or a doc that does slidding scale? It is best to get medical attention before stopping. It depends on how much you drink everynight as to how bad a withdrawl will be. I wish you good luck.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome and best of luck on your journey
Old 04-07-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

HI! Welcome to SR! You are certainly in the right place. Lots of advice, knowledge, people with clean time, a place to vent, a place to come when you need to. All free! I love it. I have no idea about withdrawals from alcohol, but mine (from crack) were migraines for almost two weeks straight, shakes, chills, hot one minute, cold the next. Almost like menopause symptoms. For the first month I was good, the second month was when they came. I didn't see a doctor. I had a prescription and Excedrin, and LOTS of darkness to help me. When I get the migraines, I have to be like a vampire and live in the dark. It sucked, but let me tell you, it was worth it to come out and say I've been clean for over 60 days now. A little money in my pocket, no more hiding. No more lying. No more running the rat race to get crack. Sometimes, I get that weird feeling of how in the world could I ever have done that drug? It's just not something I would have done. Not in a normal state of mind and I can't remember what state of mind I was in because I had just finished off an entire bottle of Jagermeister the night I took that first hit of crack. I didn't, and still don't, drink. Before I got hooked, I would drink, maybe once a year. Then I started hanging out with my ex and it was like I became a whole different person.
I tend to do that. Almost like whatever personality they have, I adopt a piece of it. I had known he was smoking crack and meth, plus shooting heroin.
I let myself get into that world, and I feel the guilt and shame of the things I've done, but ya know, it's the past. We can't do anything to change it, but we can do something about TODAY, and that's stay clean and show our loved ones we're serious and committed about being sober/clean, and be there for ourselves, first, during the early stages of recovery.