Notices

Buddhism and 12-step

Old 04-05-2009, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Buddhism and 12-step

(note: if this is the wrong sub-forum or inappropriate linking, I apologize and please move or erase me)

I am going to a talk/meeting tonight on Buddhism and 12-step and so I am doing a little online reading before hand since it isn't something that I have really explicitly explored. I figured as long as I was already sifting through all the info, I may as well pass along some links in case anyone else is interested in it since there seems to be a substantial community involved in tying these two together:

Buddhism and the Twelve Steps
the 12 Step Buddhist
White Lotus Judith Ragir Zen Priest and Teacher Minneapolis St Paul Minnesota
Buddhism and the Twelve Steps
The Spirituality of Addiction and Recovery [Speaking of Faith® from American Public Media]

That first site seems to have a wealth of info on it. Just thought I'd pass it along in case anyone is interested in exploring. If anything interesting happens at the talk, I'll let you know.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sitting here listening to the last link, a podcast with Susan Cheever, Bill Wilson's biographer, and others, I highly recommend downloading it and listening to it. It is free.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Got back from the talk. It was alright, there was a guided meditation, since I don't usually do that, I have nothing to compare it to, and the talk itself was rather scattered. The guy speaking was sort of aggressive and he touched on a couple of interesting things, mostly when he shared about his own story, but he only briefly would touch on those bits, before he would jump back to Buddhist/recovery speak. I sort of thought he could benefit from a bit of humility.

One thing that it brought up for me, along with some shares, and this happened at another meeting I attended once, are people who speak and seem insincere. The words that come out of their mouth are all the right words, in fact they are too right, too "recovery", but the tone or the attitude is off. I remember at the only AA meeting I ever went to there was this lady sharing about accepting not having control over other people and the complete serenity it brought her while clenching her jaw at the obvious annoyance (and it was annoying) of this yapping dog someone had brought to the meeting. (Question here: is that little story an inappropriate thing to share as in am I breaking some sort of AA anonymity rule I don't fully understand?) I get really derailed by these people or my experience of this insincerity, it frustrates me to know end. I like people to say what they mean and do what they say, if that is bad or good, in agreement with me or in complete disagreement and I cannot stand when there is a discord in an individual especially when it comes to something that should be taken seriously. I just wonder how other people deal— probably aren't as judging and don't let it affect you— but I just can't seem to chill about it.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Breaking anonymity in AA is when you tell a non AAer who is in AA, or what went on at an AA meeting in enough detail that the person's anonymity is threatened. So I think you are OK here.

Why have you only gone to one AA meeting? Did it turn you off that much? I support your sobriety no matter how you get it, but many people find that they must shop around for a meeting that suits them.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I need to shop. AA wasn't really for me in the beginning. I think I might be the opposite kind of person, going into it later in the game. No my first meeting was like a joke, yapping dog, guy with a long share likening surrendering god to popping a pimple, man hugged completely unnecessarily. I understand it is probably kind of like finding a therapist, you got to shop, and then there are probably off days, but I don't really need AA to stay sober, I got those support mechanisms currently in place but I might need it to make meaningful connections with others...this is my new thought...so we will see
Old 04-06-2009, 12:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the links, I like reading people like Bill Alexander and Kevin Griffin. Funny thing is, I read them in recovery but my wife became the Buddhist.....!

I like the way that Buddhist 12 steppers focus on the fact that the illness of alcoholism is primarily about us staying attached to self and detached from the one. I got a lot of positive reinforcement that it is only through action and work that a direction of travel can be established which leads us along the road of recovery.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

We have at least one Buddist (acknowledged), very nice lady who has been sober some time now. I hear quite a few quotes from Buddism in the rooms in my area. The one thing I rarely hear is someone saying "I am a Insert name of faith/Religion, I do hear lots of folks mention thier HP aka God, but it is very rare I hear mention of a particualr faith or denomination in a meeting.

I do know from talking at some after the meeting meetings that there are a few churchs in my area with quite a few folks in recovery that attend them.

sfgirl AA meetings are all differnent, they have thier own personalities, some of them I think stink, but obviously others in AA like them or the meeting would not exist very long. In my area which is not that big there are over 60 meetings a week, so I can pick and choose which ones I attend.

When I got out of detox I was commited to staying sober and the only place I knew I could find people who I could talk to with any time sober to speak of where at AA meetings, so I went to AA meetings and kept going back, I went back to the ones I got something out of and did not go back to ones I didn't. I was willing to go to a lot of meetings because I wanted to stay sober and I easily found plenty of meetings I liked that I kept going to and some I never went back to because I didn't like them. I am very thankful that I went to more then 3 or 4 meetings to where I could begin to understand that every AA meeting was as different as every person in AA.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
I need to shop.
Yes, keep shopping. I found that through more reading, reflecting and attending lots of meetings, a shift began happening for me. That is when I found sincere, honest people and relevant meetings with more insights. The irony is that it was me who was changing as I became more open and less judgmental.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That is when I found sincere, honest people and relevant meetings with more insights. The irony is that it was me who was changing as I became more open and less judgmental.
Is right.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

interesting pdf on meditation, including instruction:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start...B00O2_NtKuvENw
Old 04-06-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

More on Buddhism,

Many people will be shocked to know, that Buddhists do not worship Buddha. Buddha is "the enlightened one", and Buddhists seek enlightenment. In fact, many Buddhists do not believe in ANY god, and many are polytheistic (believe in many gods like the romans did).

In fact it is possible to believe in Jesus, be a Christian and be a Buddhist at the same time, although like anything religious, you will find people that strongly disagree with that statement.

In these respects, Buddhism varies greatly from the monotheistic religions that dominate the globe, Christianity, Judaism and Islam. Christianity of course dominates AA rooms, especially in the USA.

At any rate, I have studied a little Buddhism myself and I was shocked to learn all of the above, and thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
interesting pdf on meditation, including instruction:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start...B00O2_NtKuvENw
Thanks!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"egoless awareness"

This is it.

Page 26 and 27, the nuts and bolts.

Thank you.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I consider myself to be Buddhist (if I'm pressured to declare ), and I pray to the Universe.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 04-07-2009, 08:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My experience has been that Buddhism and recovery are very compatible. Just as there is a suggestion to check out several meetings before deciding if AA is for you, I would also suggest reading various Buddhist writings or attending several talks before deciding on the compatibility of the paths. Best wishes in recovery and the Dharma.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread. I like to read up on Buddhism and how to compliment it into 12 step recovery as a Higher Power in the Christian context of God doesn't fit with me.

Kevin Griffin has produced some good stuff. I do not have the link right now, but he has some lectures that are mp3 downloadable for free on his website which are very good for anyone interested in Buddhism. His book One Breath at a Time is also superb.