Notices

Should I change my alcohol use?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I change my alcohol use?

I have been having 4 oz of hard liquor every day for 30 years. That is just over the "acceptable" amount - 2 drinks. Sometime I think about my a possible health effect but I am not drinking way too much.

It does make me tired and I don't do anything productive in the evening but i have always fulfilled my family and work obligations.

I would like to hear other opinions. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The amount you drink seems small compared to how much wine I used to drink each day, but if you think it's becoming a problem, try not drinking at all for a couple weeks to see what happens and how you feel.

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

I knew a couple of older people that used to drink like that-4 whiskey and coke a day at the Legion and as they got older they had liver problems and had to quit drinking completely. I never ever seen either one of them drunk.
The only suggestion I can make is to discuss this with your doctor and get some blood work done to see if there is any physical damage.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Personally, I don't think drinking every single day is normal, at least it was not for me. After drinking a glass or two of wine for six months every single day I felt toxic and just sick. For me, it was not working and it felt unhealthy.
I agree with the other responses, you won't know until you try stopping.

I also think that after drinking everyday for years and years you actually change your brain and "trip" some sort of switch. When you do try to stop, you find that you can't. This is pretty upsetting to some folks who did not think they had a problem.

Do you measure the amount you pour? How do you know you are drinking only four ounces? I know that there are different opinions out there. I recently read a report that said two drinks a day is normal for an adult.
I find that insane.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess only you can know if its a problem. I would as suggested above try to go without & detoxify your body & see if you feel better.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

I guess the hard core over drinker in me wonders why even drink at all?

Plus.. maybe the fact that you found us, suggests you have some concern. Try stopping for a month, if anything else you likely wont be in any worse shape than you are now!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I drank every day for nearly 20 years, far bigger quantities than your talking about, not that its a competition.

Wasn't a problem for me for nearly 20 years though, first few years was no problem at all to be honest, then I struggled for a couple of years then seemed fine for few more years, then 2/3 years ago I stopped being able to function properly, feeling sick all the time and letting people down.

Been sober 10 months now and back on track again, my point though is that only you will know if its a problem or not.

Doesn't seem to me that its a lot that you drink, also seems to me that if it wasn't a problem you wouldn't be seeking answers.

In my experience, folks that have no problem with alcohol don't question their drinking habits.

Try and stop for a week, see how easy it is and how you feel, that should give you some answers.

If you suffer withdrawels though, do seek medical assistance, it can be dangerous.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and I am glad I read Fizzy's post because I would have repeated most of what he said to you. Glad you found us.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Have you had a recent medical check up?

If not...please do and tell the doctor exactly
about your drinking. Blood work is a good indicator
if alcohol is causing helth issues.

A lot of people quit before they are alcoholics.
As we get older...our bodies require better care...

Welcome to SR....
Old 03-16-2009, 10:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Before coming to this site I would have said that there is no way you have a problem. It does not sound like a lot to me, but I am still learning about the terrible effects of alcohol. Please keep us posted. I would like to hear about what you learn. My parents drink wine everyday and I have never thought they had a problem because they just split a bottle. Now you have me wondering.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It isnt about the amount of alcohol/pills/weed consumed necessarily. It is more about:
  • who you become under the influence
  • who you prefer to be around when under the influence
  • if you use a lot, are you the only person you are taking a chance of hurting, or will loved ones suffer as well?
  • does your time with alcohol/pills/weed come before other more substantial things in your life

Peace and good pizza to you all!:ghug