not sleeping well
forgeting things
scared
light headed
mood swings
thanks all
Old 03-06-2009, 03:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am pretty forgetful unfortunately. During withdrawal i suffered the sweating and the shaking. Life scares me sometimes as well.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a lot of those symptoms, I heavily medicated for that being a huge reason, withdrawing from the benzos has made it ten times worse, all I can say is just try to slowly force yourself into those uncomfortable social situations if you are able to, slowly but surely it gradually gets a bit easier.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A lot of those things are symptoms of PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) - what happens to your body and mind after the alcohol is out of your system. Body and mind have to adjust to functioning without alcohol and while readjusting, often show signs of the things you listed.

I would suggest an honest talk with your doctor about these feelings. Counseling can help also.

All the best to you in staying sober.:ghug3
Old 03-06-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I had a lot of those symptoms, if not all of them when I was still actively drinking/hungover/drinking. For me, they all went away after I stopped drinking. What a freakin' relief !
Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i wonder how long it will take for me for those symtoms to go away as i have been off the drink now just over a month
Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i have anxiety and have joined a support group for that. there are a number of things you can do to ease anxiety and make it much more manageable and the first is educating yourself about it. i would read as much as you can in order to learn about your personal triggers - where, when, how and why it happens. what is your first impulse when it happens? how does it make you feel about life? My anxiety is socially-triggered and when I learn more about it - it becomes less of a mystery and less of a force that controls me. There are tested and proven simple techniques that you ca do to help yourself lessen anxiety so much so that it no longer controls all of your thoughts. It helped me immensely to learn about CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) which is something you can do yourself. I just started a book called Feeling Good by David D Burns and i can't overstate it's effects on me.

Good luck in your quest to rid yourself of the anxiety beast. Just know it is common, natural, and highly manageble if you work at it.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, I have a lot of those symptoms. They are especially bad the morning after I drink. I don't really experience hangovers anymore (no vomiting, etc.) but I DO experience crashing waves of anxiety and feelings of fear and dread. I am a bit anxious already and always have had it since before I ever drank. However, drinking has made it 100x worse, and I swear every time I'm hung over that I will never EVER drink again because I can't stand the anxiousness. The unfortunate catch-22 is that drinking again soothes that feeling.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

All but the agraphobia. I had them when I was withdrawing. One by one, they began to subside & now I rarely have any of them. I was caught for years in the cycle of drinking to ease those symptoms, as Stella mentioned. You have to give yourself a fighting chance to get well & be patient in the beginning.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Yup, I've had just about all of them. Could of swore a few times I was just going to go out of my mind and spend the rest of my life talking to little green people in a padded cell while strapped into a straight jacket!

It does get better and they become less frequent and severe as time goes by. You need to do some repair work to your mind and body after spending the last few years of using and abusing. It just can't be talked away. Start eating healthy, get on a vitamin and exercise program and that will help. Might need some other help, but that will get you going down the right road. Hang in there, the smoke will clear up eventually!
Old 03-06-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by butchville View Post
does anyone have the following

agraphobia
painic attacks
sweating
shaking
dry mouth
dread waking up in the morning
disturbing thoughts
not sleeping well
forgeting things
scared
light headed
mood swings
thanks all
I have experienced all of these things. I still think I have panic attacks, had one in jail last weekend really bad. I am hoping they will go away soon. Now that I am past most my DUI stuff, and I startedd sleeping pills & Vitiman B.

If not I will have to go get on something.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

since you've been not drinking for a month these symptoms are not so much about withdrawal from the alcohol....but rather they are the result of the "dis-ease" of your life. now is when the work begins.

you can begin by practicing new behaviors. if your are going to AA there are plenty of ideas there to practice doing new behaviors.

keep up the good work
Old 03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
BKP

After i quit i was dealing with all this as well, i have been sober 2 months now and i would never go back and deal with that. It was a hell and a physical and mental tourture i brought on myself with ignorant thinking.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Plus.. drinking or no drinking, people suffer from anxiety disorders and anxiety related issues all the time, the 2 may very well not be connected. Might see a doc if it persists..
Old 03-07-2009, 02:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

also i just drank for 5 weeks so hopefully not to bad coming off ,,mind you i have been anxious most of my life before i ever touched alcohol