Notices

I think I'm substituting.......bad!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I'm substituting.......bad!

Hello everybody I've just made it to 50 days sober/clean and am feeling positive about continuing but I've just realised that I've ended up substituting other things which aren't great, it goes as follows:

Instead of booze: lots and lots of black coffee and diet coke
Instead of hash: my cigarette smoking has gone through the roof
Instead of alcoholic boyfriend ( I ended the relationship) : I'm lapping up male attention
Instead of junk food: I've put myself on a low calorie diet and lost weight

Ok these things in moderation aren't that that bad, certainly not as bad as alcohol/drugs but I'm worried I've just gone straight out and got addicted to other substances and behaviours and its NOT good so HELP
Old 03-02-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Congrats on 50 days.

Those are better than the latter. But you will find a balance after awhile. But to me. For now. If thats what you have to do to stay clean. I see no problem with it. Others may not agree.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for getting through 50 days clean and sober!

And, it's good that you ended your relationship with your alcoholic boyfriend, because that would make life very difficult.

I think it's super that you're aware that you are depending on some things like caffeine and smoking more than you should be. I do understand your concern, because I have an addictive personality too, and I tend to overdo things and things quickly become a habit with me. Try making small changes, such as eating good, nutritious food, rather than just cutting back on calories. Maybe instead of seeking male attention, you could get some exercise and be kind to your body. You're doing great!
Old 03-02-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi summer....

Finding a balance comes with time as chiynita said...

I wouldnt give it to much thought at this early stage........it just fantastic your 50 days..

Im still a sucker for strong coffee and i have a coca-cola thing going on at the moment..

It is good to be aware of them though........i feel uncomfortable if im doing something addictively.......

I wished they had meetings called..."kick the a** out of it anonymous" ..cos id go regular..lol.

trucker
Old 03-02-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SummerSkye View Post
Hello everybody I've just made it to 50 days sober/clean and am feeling positive about continuing but I've just realised that I've ended up substituting other things which aren't great, it goes as follows:

Instead of booze: lots and lots of black coffee and diet coke
Instead of hash: my cigarette smoking has gone through the roof
Instead of alcoholic boyfriend ( I ended the relationship) : I'm lapping up male attention
Instead of junk food: I've put myself on a low calorie diet and lost weight

Ok these things in moderation aren't that that bad, certainly not as bad as alcohol/drugs but I'm worried I've just gone straight out and got addicted to other substances and behaviours and its NOT good so HELP
welcome!!!

Tell ya what, never spent the night in jail for having one too many cups of coffee, or eating a Whopper-no mayo or ketchup, thank you. And even though I smoke-yeah, I'm an addict, aside from a dirty look I got once from some weirdo at Disneyworld years ago and the obvious physical damage blah blah. My priorities are sobriety, not as bad is the understatement of the century. Work on the big things, chemical addictions and relationships, you'll be able to sort the rest out later.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't see anything all that bad. Cut yourself some slack. You're not drinking, give yourself a break.

:ghug3
Old 03-02-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As long as you're staying clean and sober, I see nothing wrong with this for now. After time all the other things will probably slow down and return back to normal.
Wes
Old 03-02-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Yep..I have never had more than 4 mos clean. But I did notice that alot of my substituting kinda went away on their own after a few months.
Eventually you will get to a point where you wont even be thinking about drinking or not drinking. You will just be so caught up and use to living your life that all that stuff will take care of itself. In my litte 4 mos. It happened for me.
Time will make a difference.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi everybody, thanks for the quick replies and the advice about not worrying too much and hopefully finding a balance

Trucker: you totally hit the nail on the head when you said "doing something addictively" and that is whats worrying me because I'm basically living on black coffee, diet coke and cigarettes at the moment, my appetite seems to have gone which I'm enjoying (bad, I know), I just never seem to be able to do something in moderation and always end up pushing it to the extreme and I know that that isn't good.

To be honest I just don't feel good about this and its like I've replaced the "buzz" of alcohol and drugs with these other things.

I really really intend to stay single and concentrate on healing myself for as long as it takes so am quite annoyed with myself for enjoying the male attention so much. I know it is really bad to look to other people to make ourselves feel better. Or is all of the above just away for me to distract myself and not deal with the real issues!!

Sorry guys. just on a bit of a rant just now
Old 03-02-2009, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

summer........you just finished with your drugs..alcohol...and boyfriend.

That is major changes in your life....it not surprizing you lean on other "stuff" a bit...

With the cigs....im the same...smoke to much.

Smoking will take away your appetite.........at the moment i will stop smoking an hour before dinner time....try it.......your be surprized how much you get your appetite comes back.

If you are concerned by acting out addictivly.......change it...

Reduce the things to a reasonable level......

I understand why it concerns you.....it does me.......but ultimately i have the answer......stop doing it...

Lots of people get "needy" in early recovery...female attention would fix me just right....but it isnt the answer.

This is an inside job.........i feel you know that.

Please be careful..with the male attention..............begining to sound like a father ...daughter lecture...lol...lol

Rejoice my friend ....50 days...wow......take care.............trucker
Old 03-02-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Your beginning a new way of life. If you stay the course, the spiritual principles of this recovery program will eventually touch all areas of your life. The awareness that you are experiencing is a result of sobriety. You probably weren't too concerned about these things when you were drinking, but now that your not... Give yourself a break. Let these things have their place for the moment. Later on, after working through a few steps; you will not only feel better about yourself, you will also have better tools in hand to resolve situations that you feel need to be changed. You may find that your perceptions will change about what you think are major problems right now.
The effects these things are having on you do not compare to the spiritual, emotional, mental, and physical destruction that alcoholism caused you. i appreciate your willingness to change everything. Please remember, it was God who brought you here to recovery and God will guide through it. No matter what you face, no matter what other people do or do not do, and no matter what you feel about yourself; God will stay committed to your recovery and your life. Accept and surrender to the help that is already there for you. Don't get caught up in the details of minor difficulties and your sure to stay sober one day at a time.