Notices

trying to find answers

Old 02-16-2009, 05:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying to find answers

ive got a alcohol problem or atleast i think i have and its not the volume i drink its when i have one i cant seem to stop and i end up getting very aggresive towards people and my girlfriend normaly ends up with the blunt of it ive been like this for years and i relly need to do something i ended up in prison a few years ago got kicked out my mums,freinds so on

i managed to do 2 month at the end of last year and only had a drink xmas day and i did get hammered but as i was being ok i tryed to have a couple saturday night for a mate birthday and it ended up me losing fones coat a £350 necklace being very rude to my girlfriend and her mum im scared in going to loose everything if i dont stop completly but i find it embarissing to admit this to anyone face to face like a doctor
Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to SR!

You are taking the first positive step by admitting you have a problem controlling your alcohol intake. I did not have a stop button when I drank. Sometimes I could stop with one, or I could get by with a glass of wine with dinner out with friends, but I would end up drinking a whole bottle when I got home. Or if I stayed sober a few weeks, I would reward myself with a few drinks.

When I knew I had a problem, I found this website. AWESOME support and information here for everyone. I found this article under the alcoholism section to be very helpful:http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I now know that I was addicted to alcohol. My body/mind/soul will whisper or scream for a quick fix. The longer I am sober, the quieter the demon gets.

Keep reading and posting!
Old 02-16-2009, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there

You will meet a lot of like minded people on this site, and i reckon you will lose some of that embarassment quite quickly to be able to get help for yourself in whatever form you chose.

It's really worth it to not have it controlling your life seriously:-)
Old 02-16-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I'm glad you found us. Being alcoholic doesn't have to do with the amount of alcohol you drink, but about the problems that alcohol causes in your life. I also could not stop drinking once I started, no matter how good my intentions were. I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my girlfriend emailed me saying if i dont get proper help its over i always say im giving up but its only ever last a month or until i forget the last stupid thing i done

i need to get myself to an AA meeting but it all sounds so... well im not sure what scared of but i am
Old 02-16-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

well im not sure what scared of but i am

A lot of us here have admitted that one of our biggest fears was the fear of being sober.

We couldn't imagine a lifetime without alcohol. Alcohol was always there for us, there in bad times and good times. How in the world would we get through life without it?? That fear was based on the cunning, powerful lies of addiction.

Self-help books, AA meetings, Secular recovery programs, therapy, on-line support, and your brain are all available to you to help you begin to really live your life.

Living your life without alcohol means experiencing all of your true emotions: joy, love, peace, anger, sadness, etc. You can feel your true self emerging from the cloud of depair and anxiety that alcohol was providing.

Coming here daily and seeing a newbie post about their struggle with the anxiety of alcoholism is called "keeping it green". That reminds me how I felt and why I got sober. Thank you for sharing with us.

We are here to support you!
Old 02-16-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

im scared im going to miss out on all the good times i had while i was drinking with my friends and having to watch people drink knowing ill never be able to do that again but its all or nothing i cant be the person who can just have the 1 glass over a meal but i want to be able to
Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Arka.
I am the same as you are. If I have 1 drink I don't want to stop and the ONLY solution is to not have that first drink.
That is your choice and nobody can make it for you.
I am also under the ultimatum if you don't quit I am leaving.
I have chosen to quit and you can do the same.
The question you have to ask yourself is " What is more important booze or my girlfriend?"
I grudgingly started out by answering my wife but now I am quitting for myself.
If and when you come to that conclusion it will be a lot easier to quit.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i know whats more important until i found this site i didnt even belive i had a problem i think thats why i keep going back to drink