Notices

Sleepless in California

Old 02-15-2009, 02:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleepless in California

I made it past closing time for the bars and now have one day without a drink. That's all good, but I can't seem to rest at all. I went for a walk, watched the boob tube for a couple hours and tried to read, but sleep is eluding me. I am tired, and feel my head is filled with cotton. I guess it's a small price to pay to get past the drink for a day, so I'll hang in there and try to read again.

Boy, with all these posts, I'm really becoming a blabber-mouth. Oh well, at least my brain is exhibiting some forms of function, lol.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey firestorm - yeah, me and you are hitting the same road at the same time. (Least too, I think... I hope...)

I didn't use bars and pubs, I drank at home, but I clock-watched until I knew all the off-licenses were closed. Fitful night's sleep. Washed out in the head this morning... can't seem to wake up. Pfft to "brain function" LOL!

Hmm. Hopefully you and me'll try and keep our brains functioning together...
Old 02-15-2009, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You might want to read the sticky "quitting - what to expect/what we did", if you haven't already.

Insomnia is very common in early sobriety. In my case after a week it got a lot better, and after a month it was incredible. Sobriety takes some work but it is well worth it.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

there are also herbals which helps. chamomile tea helps relax and valerian, and skullcap are relaxants. Evening Primrose Oil helps the feelings of withdrawal, the anxiety, restlessness, the feeling sick, It helped me, anyway. I got all this stuff at my local organic food store. also got milk thistle, a good detoxifier.

lots of water and juice and b vitamins too. clear broth and ginger ale help too. and if it gets awful, do what I finally did - go to the ER f0r immediate care.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Congratulatios. Keep coming to SR.....It just gets better and better.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I have slept 9 hours in 3 days. It is well worth it for sobriety, but I can't wait for a long nap.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Thanks Everybody,

That was one tough night. Glad it's over. After finally dozing off, I slept well and feel better today, the jitters have subsided and I feel hopeful towards getting this gorrilla off my back. It becomes really exhausting trying to carry a thousand pound gorilla around with you every day, and that's what alcohol has felt like for me, especially these past few months. Or, is it an anaconda, squeezing the life out of me slowly, while trying to get my head in it's mouth in order to totally consume me? Huh?

Maybe I just need a cup of coffee.

Thanks to everyone who held my sweating palm last night. I hope tonight is much easier.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey there firestorm Great to see you're making it through. No wonder you can't sleep, though - I mean, all you need is to maybe throw Godzilla in the mix and you got a whole damn monster movie going on there on your back..!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Yay for Day 1!
My advice? Be really nice to yourself for the next couple of weeks!
No caffeine (or little), but none after 6pm! Lots of water and a daily vitamin if you take them. Try to get some exercise and LOTS of sleep.
Your body is going through a lot right now and it needs to rid itself of all the toxins in your body. Saunas are great! But while you learn to live your life sober, you will also need to allow yourself to physically heal as well.
I am wishing you the very best! And we are all here for you! Your own personal group of cheerleaders.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing well, Firestorm!

I hope you sleep better tonight, but it might take awhile for your sleep patterns to work out.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

try simply sleep an otc from cvs, it works great! non habit forming too. 2 of them and nighty night..
Old 02-15-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I had trouble sleeping the first weeks too.

Chamomile tea was helpful. I tried to stay active during the day and push myself to keep going.

Good news is that it does get better!
Keep on keeping on!
Old 02-15-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm an expert on day 1's I've had so many. I get serious anxiety. It gets so bad that I start crying just to relieve the tension. I go to gym in the morning but the cravings are so bad in the afternoon. I know that there is this stuff called 'calm' that they sell in vitamin world(and maybe GNC) its magnesium and it is bubbly..like alka seltzer. That would help me alot with the anxiety and even make me drowzy. Valerian Root, Melatonin and Calms Forte help insomnia which I also suffer from at times. Hope you feel better. E
Old 02-15-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I will be taking my first recipe of Valerian root and 5HTP tonight to try and get some rest. Hope it works. If it does, I will let ya know.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi SR gang,

I'm happy to say I haven't had a drink all day. It's not easy, tho. The thoughts keep coming in, even at the oddest times. I was at WallyWorld, (Walmart), buying my dogs some chow, when all of a sudden I thought, "Hey, I could stop at this local pub, toss back a couple and who would know?" Well, I would, but with my present state of mind, it almost seemed like a harmless, in fact good idea. My brain keeps going through the wash, rinse, and spin cycles, in no predictable order. I hope this is normal, cause all those bats in my belfry are setting up for a swarm. If it becomes more than I can handle, I'll try stopping in here first, before I do anything.

Thanks for all the wonderful help you've extended toward me. That's truly amazing.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are making progress...

About sleeping...here is a link for you

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

You are so fortunate....your withdrawal is going smoothly.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you didn't pick up firestorm090. I found that listening to the big book/AA & steps last night really helped me to understand the physical & mental part of my/our addiction. I will post the link here once I find it.

Take Care :ghug3
Old 02-15-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Here is the thread I was talking about, the mp3 audios that SandyOz posted have really been helpful to me.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ok-online.html