Notices

First Day

Old 02-12-2009, 10:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Day

I joined this group today and made it through my first day sober. That wouldn't matter among my old group of friends, but from what I've read today, it matters here. All of my friends drink heavily, actually I don't really feel comfortable around many people who don't drink heavily, like I do. After 30+ years of drinking, I am just plain sick of it all, especially the loses which seem to continue to mount throughout the years of abusing alcohol. I hope by joining this group that I may build new friendships with those among you who have formed new lives, and have left the excesses of alcohol behind.

Thank you for allowing me to become a member.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Firestorm, welcome to SR. Let me be one of the first to say that you joining here will help others as well as yourself. We all are in this battle together and we do truly need each other.

Congrats on the first day.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community

I too drank for many years...I consider the last 5 I had slid into alcoholism.
I never knew what day or which drink but...
Yes.....it happened to me.

Good to see you here with us
Congratulations on your decision

How are you feeling?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks C23, Posting this thread was one of the hardest things I've done in a long time. I sincerely appreciate your support and want to learn how to live sober, the truth is I've been drunk for so long that sobriety seems like a totally foreign language. Guess it's not too late to try to change this way of living. Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Fire...Welcome!...I am glad you are here, and congratulations on your first day
SR is a great place; full of wonderful support and information.
make yourself comfortable
Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Carol, Thanks for the welcome. My head is so foggy that I couldn't even think of a name to join with, so I used the name of a book that was laying on my desk. Hope the author doesn't mind, lol.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Welcome, Firestorm!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome firestrorm!

you are in the right place:-)
Old 02-13-2009, 03:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies and support. It's great to know there are people who will help when the struggle to get sober becomes the obsession of my mind. I didn't drink last night, but was only able to sleep for three hours, because there was no booze in my system to keep me asleep. Now, I'm sitting here staring at this computer screen wondering, "What now?" I feel ok, kinda numb and am proud that I didn't drink yesterday, and feel much more positive since I found this group. Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Firestorm. I was drinking for 40 years before I decided to quit and came here for support so you are not alone in having a long history. There is plenty of support here. I have been coming here and reading and posting since I quit and it helps fill the void and keep me foccused.
Good luck .
If you want to do this you will.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Firestorm! So glad you found SR and are ready to start this journey. Congrats on your first day sober!!!! That's an incredible start. What next? Try for one more day! You can do it.....we are here to support you!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
actually I don't really feel comfortable around many people who don't drink heavily, like I do.

I hear you! I have a lot of relationships to try to repair because I've avoided non-drinkers like the plague, including my own parents. I only hope I can fall back on some of these people who tried to befriend me and that they'll accept me for what I am.

Now I have to avoid the drinkers for a while.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
Hi Carol, Thanks for the welcome. My head is so foggy that I couldn't even think of a name to join with, so I used the name of a book that was laying on my desk. Hope the author doesn't mind, lol.
My head started to clear yesterday. I'm on day 5. Hang in there!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Im Sharon and Im an
Alcoholic.

Glad ur here. Welcome.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hi Firestorm,
Welcome to SR. You will find many great folks here to give you help and support. I usually log on in the morning and just stay on the board all day. Although I don't sit on the board all day, I always hit the refresh button during the day to see what is up here. This is a great place to go especially if you get cravings or just need support.

On my first few days of sobriety, I read everything I could get my hands on about alcohol abuse. Firstly, A book called Happy Hours, Women and alcohol. Also (non gender specific) "Under the Influence." Many here will tell you that Under the Influence is probably the best book to read. When you realize how much booze trashes your body you will never want to drink again. You will think of it as pure poison.

when I feel complacent in my recovery and feel like "oh I can have just one and control it" I just reach for my book. I have been down the "I can have just one" route too many times and I always end up wasted.

On day one, make sure you try and drink plenty of water, vitamins, b complex. I also take Milk thistle (helps liver function, you can get it at GNC or any drugstore). Also try some detox tea and make sure you get lots of sleep. Sleep is very healing.

Try writing down your goals in life and,,,10 things you would rather do than drink. These are things that helped me in the beginning and I hope this will help you as well.

Consider yourself done, finished with alcohol and now you can look forward to starting a brand new happy and healthy life. Welcome!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you for your kind support. I'm sitting here in a fog of sorts, possibly because I couldn't sleep well last night. It has literally been months since I went to sleep without a drink. A friend of mine came over this morning to check on me, to see if I need any medical attention. I I was angry at first at the implication that I'm that far gone, but in truth she's probably right. For now, she's sleeping in my bed and I'm staring at this screen, kinda nuts huh? Well, I haven't wandered off yet, and am glad she's here. Thanks again for the help, it really matters right now.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Resident

She is a good friend. Depending on the person, sometimes medical help is required.
It is great that you don't seem to need it and that she cares enough to check on you. Give her a big thanks when she wakes. She will be a guge aid on your journey.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
trying to get it right

glad you ate here!

:ghug2
Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Good supportive friends are hard to come by. Keep this one close and they will help you get through this IMO.