Notices

To a great night. :)

Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post To a great night. :)

So tonight was my second AA meeting and it turned out really great. I feel so free, so happy, like on a natural high/happiness or something. I got to meet a few people from my first meeting a couple new people. And to my surprise I met a guy that was one of my customers where I used to work, so a familiar friendly face I've known for some time. The topic we were on tonight was fear and I got to hear a lot of great of stories that I could really relate to and understand. Strange thing is, we were discussing fear and I was afraid to share anything. Now that I look at it, it was kinda silly.

Tonight though, I wasn't as nervous as the first meeting, and the beginning of the meeting where the "mission statement" so to speak and the only qualification of membership is the honest desire to stop drinking and all was read I did get to read the 12 steps and did it without hesitation. They asked about newcomers and/or people with under 30 days, so I spoke up "Hi, I'm Wes, and I'm an alcoholic with 8 days sober and this is my second meeting" and they made me feel so welcome. So, it wasn't bad at all. I really felt like I was somewhere I belonged and fit in. Just an all around great experience for me. While I will say AA may not be for everyone and people may have something else that works just as well for them I do have to admit that AA is for me and a place I feel I belong at and fit in at.

I'm not quite sure, but the gentleman that gave me the ride home tonight, I belive may have got me to start working on step 1 without me even realizing it at the moment. Out of no where he asks me, "So, Wes, what are you powerless over?" so I told him "alcohol." Then he asked me, "Well, what has that done to your life?" so I respond, "Made it an unmanageable downward spiral." I could be wrong, but looking back on it, I think he started me on trying to work on step one. And I can safely now say with absolute certainty that I am powerless over alcohol and my drinking and it has turned my life into a downward spiral that I can/could not manage.

But, I'm just so thrilled about making meeting number two and all the things that happened. And something really cool happened shortly before the meeting started. Me and a guy were outside smoking and talking getting to know each other a little bit and he asked me "Hey, ya want some coffee? I'm gonna go over here to the store and get some." and I told him I'm flat broke so I couldn't get any, and to my surprise, "I didn't ask if you had money, I asked if you want coffee, come on, I'll buy ya some." And this was all before the coffee for the meeting was set up. So this guy that's known me for all of 10 minutes bought me some coffee. I mean it's amazing, with amazing, supportive and great people who really understand.

Well, this is my story of meeting #2. And I'm content and happy. As well as being happy over day 8 which is another day sober, another victory over that bottle. Thank you all for letting me share and thank you all for being a great SR Family to me and being supportive, understanding and caring. It means the world to me.
Wes

Last edited by CoF1984; 02-12-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Great Wes, I have the same feeling about the meetings. I'm on fire about them. The people are so loving and accept you as you are.
If the whole world was in recovery this would be a great place to live.

Today was my 10th meeting well 12th if you count the big book study. I love it I have found my home.

When the meeting is over I crave another one. The power I receive from the meeting is awesome, I love it.
Keep coming back it works!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Congrats. That makes me want to go to a meeting tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Wes, your overwhelming gratitude that you are already displaying for AA, SR & Recovery as a whole brings tears to my eyes everytime I read about your experiences at a Meeting.

When I "finally got it" in July of 2005, I was just like you are right now. I had such an overwhelming gratitude for the love and support of complete strangers who wanted nothing more than to see me make it through one more day clean and sober.

Over the few years I have been in AA & NA, there have been many come and go and sure, at times, it does get sad when a newcomer shows such an eagerness and willingness and then disappears. I hope that you keep your enthusiasm and lust for Recovery.

You know the expression, "Stick with the Winners?" Wes, you have found a home, you my friend, are a winner.

Big Hug,
Judy
Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

seriosly now alcohol is like thee easiest thing to quit. get a grip. drink some water or something. you ever notice how addicts or alcoholics are always wining or are always me me me mee.......

tobeornottobe
sobrietyorgethighetty

im just kiddin ya know a little humor. im glad you found relief at the meetings those rooms (the last house on the block) they are magical places where the people are as real as it ever gets. more people should go that desire help and change there is alot of butiful people out there...................keep up the good work.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Wes...I am very very happy for you to have such a new found sense of love and "joy" in your life. There is really not alot better than havin' a total stranger be SO KIND to you is there Wes?? Now that is wot I call "treating your fellow man like your brother"...too bad there wasn't more of this in our sad world...it would be such a more lovely and pleasant place - the way "I think" God truly wanted our world to be...All the VERY BEST to you Wes in your Journey of Sobriety!

Big hugs and congratulations! Pancake =^..^= XO :ghug
Old 02-12-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's so wonderful Wes You're doing great !!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so pleased you are finding your way Wes!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
trying to get it right

congrats!

:ghug