Notices

OK- Out with the other person

Old 02-05-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OK- Out with the other person

Ok has anyone ever experienced this. I have given my addiction (booze) a name and a personality, I find it easier to fight another person rather than argue with myself.... I know this sounds completely insane, but It is working so far.... I am aware that they are not real, but the concept is kinda easier at the moment..

If you think im completely insane, please go gently....
Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What is insane is not using any tool available to you to fight the addiction.
I say go for it!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whatever works to keep you sober Iriss...
Not at all insane.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like an interesting method. Would would you care to describe what he/she looks like and some traits of his/her personality?

Also, you said you want to "fight" him, Im wondering about the possiblility of using other means of dealing with him, what means to use, I dont know, Im just thinking out loud.

BTW, Im just assuming that you are giving him/her a physical/visual representation, I might be wrong.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

It was once explained to me to think of wine as a boyfriend (other person). The same way a cheating boyfriend lies to you, steals from you and treats you bad, so wine does the same. I understood that and when I want to invite 'him' over I have to remember that he is lying to me. He wants me to believe he'll make me feel better. Um, no he won't. He'll beat me up and leave me sick, alone and crying for him to come back. He wants me to believe I can't live without him.

I had to kick that boyfriend to the curb. I don't think it's crazy, it's just a different way to look at it
Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Never thought of that idea but it sounds good to me. It is able to get into my head and for that I think it is evil. So it does have something going on sort of like a devil that is up to no good. I think it is a rather sane thing to say but again I think I am half crazy. Thanks anything that helps.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

I read a book recently about alcoholism. It kinda had a different spin on this topic. The author says that many people think of alcoholism as a character whether It be an animal or a person. They feel they have to fight with it. He puts a different spin on this. He says that when confronted with a fight, walk away. If you don't make it a fight, it won't be one. Tell the other person in your head to *&^% off and walk away from it. You would probably do that to a real person anyway if they started a fight with you.

If you are not constanly fighting with someone in your head, you will be a calmer person and be happier.

ANy other views on this?
Old 02-05-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Sometimes that is easier said than done for some people Lovin. If I have learned anything so far it is that different things work for different people.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

Mebby it would be your "lower" power ?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Just throwing in a different spin. Whatever keeps ya sober stick with it. My other person is a dragon.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the responses, I think Its easier for me to say that actually I dont want a drink, but the other person does. So im kinda separating me from my addiction, I am not my addiction.... It has allowed me to face my addiction for the first time ever, now I have faced it I feel I have a chance of fighting it I hope this makes sense and maybe even help someone else x
Old 02-05-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

I do the SAME thing!
My disease is named '*******'
and i love yelling at him
Old 02-05-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi
Thanks, yes it is a woman and she is everything I am not when sober... Although I do not focus too much on appearance as I am aware that she is not real but my addiction, but I focus on what she does to me..... Hope that makes some sense x
Old 02-05-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Doesn't sound crazy to me. Whatever works for you!:ghug3