Notices

craving sweets!

Old 02-02-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

BKP- I have been drinking a lot more coffee too! That alcohol really did a number on our systems, eh?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

VC- we can start our weight loss as the class of 2010! We will have our sobriety well in hand by then and ready to tackle our next goal.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
ßrêå†hïñg

Originally Posted by a fallen man View Post
it was sweet tea.
w00t! I'm with you on that one. I can go through a gallon a day, np.

I dunno, imo, freaking go for it folks. I mean, maybe not all day, every day. But maybe indulge in some M&Ms in the evenings or experiment with Ben & Jerry's flavors. It is a lot less damaging than booze or drugs, amirite? It's like a pregnant woman. They gain the weight and then lose it to get their bodies back in order after the baby's born. I think it's ok to eat a little more during recovery. Then once stabilized, work on the added weight.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Right there with all of you. I started a thread on brownies last week. I have consumed my share, and everyone elses in my township, of brownies in the last couple of weeks.

Did I mention I really like brownies?

Why can't I crave water chestnuts, or ice berg lettuce and root vegetables?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Affirmative. Dark chocolate, ice cream, candy bars, coke, pastries, oh hell, anything sweet, even stuff I didn't formerly like - and lollipops - always had to have one stuck in my mouth while watching tv when I first got sober. Those cravings tapered off after a few mos., but I still have them once in awhile.

Okay Hevyn and I really are twins. I like all of those things and as for the lollipops, I did those after quitting smoking years ago. I can't have all the sweet stuff in the house because husband is diabetic and all, but I still crave it.

Last night I had a mad craving for something sweet and there was NOTHING in the house to satisfy it. I poured a glass of V8 and the craving disappeared. No idea why or how that happened, but I'll try it again next time.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
ßrêå†hïñg

k, y'all are talking about brownies and all but can I get an 'amen' for brownie batter?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Amen stainedglass.....Amen.

(Didn't I say I left some in the bowl on accident?)
Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Im pretty sure I'm making cookies today!!

HEHE!! For someone that want to lose 15 lbs by spring, I am not on the right path!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Im 2 1/2 mo without drink and Im with all of you on the sweets. Ive heard of particular vitamins that one can take...any info or experience out there?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

YES!!!! I crave sweets all of time now but I havent gained any weight. I've actually lost 12 pounds since I stopped drinking. I eat my chocolate in moderation. Chocolate I can moderate..alcohol not so much. I guess that means I'm not a "chocoholic"...bad joke
Old 02-04-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

three boxes of chocolates during first week (burp)

Right after I stopped drinking I had an irrational exuberance for sweets. In one week, I went through three boxes of chocolates. The craving is lesser now.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I had the exact same thing, especially in the first couple of months after getting sober. I never, ever really LOVED ice cream, but I could not get enough. I went through a pint of Ben & Jerry's in one sitting like it was nothing! Chocolate in particular was a craving, I could not get enough. I eventually ended up substituting fruits instead of sugary treats. Still, I would eat an entire pineapple or a carton of blueberries to get my fix! But that was better than the sugar.

I think our bodies turn alcohol into sugar, and thus our bodies are reliant on a heavy dose of sugar to make up it. It's better than booze though, which is worth remembering!

Good luck, my sweet tooth has been up and down for the past 7 months since I've been sober, I hope it settles back to normal soon.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I came upon this thread while shoving a Snickers Peanut Butter Egg in my pie hole *blush*

Oh well. Rather be fat than drunk.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I was a beer drinker for 15 years. I never liked sweets, I always preffered spicy and sour. There were two other times in my life that I voluntarily went more than a week without drinking. Each of those times, I would get cravings for pop.

The way I see it, so what if you put on extra weight. That's a very small price to pay. If sugar and junk food keep you away from alcohol, indulge in sugar and junk food as much as you need! It may be unhealthy, but it's much better than relying on something that literally destroys every aspect of your life.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I agree. Here is a spouse's point of view. My wife quit drinking (vodka and tequila) 40 days ago and has developed a tremendous craving for sweets. She has gained 15 pounds and looks healthy again. Even with the weight gain, she has lost the bloated look in her face, and her skin looks so much better. I much prefer her to eat sweets than drink. I love her very much and can be very happy with a chunky wife who is sober. I was so unhappy with a drunk wife. While she was drinking I did everything I could to avoid being around her. Now I miss her when I am at work and can't wait to get home just to see her again. Eat the sweets, do whatever it takes to avoid the alcohol.