Notices

Hello

Old 01-23-2009, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hello, this is my first time to a forum like this so im not really sure how to start or what to do...... Its my twin sister who is the addict, has been drinking now for over 20 yrs. I need some-one to talk to. Please help. our family love her dearly, shes intelligent, witty, beautiful and caring.....then shes nasty, withdrawn and hates all of us. for the first time lastnight she was abusive to mum whos 75. Im getting really scared now. Is it ultimatum time? She wont accept any help or talk about it.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe i am in the wrong place
Old 01-23-2009, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Experience strength and hope

You're in the general right place it seems. When I was around 14 years old, I was then living with my biological family. One night I came home late. In the morning, my bio mother mentioned I had come into the house naked. They she said were watching a TV program they were interested in. She did say, "Everything okay?" While the earth imploded around me, I said, "Yes." Naked, really? I'll never know.

It's hard to know what has been said to your sister. It is possible you have tried every angle known to humankind. I just want to say I wish, just once, someone in my family of origin had said, "We think you have a drinking problem. We care about you." They went straight to the blaming indirect nastiness as if something had ever been rationally discussed between us. The blame and hate remains in that family system. We are mutually estranged. This truly is a family condition. Best to you and yours. Thank you for letting me share a little bit of my story-- that I truly wish was much shorter.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanx Mca00...i tell her i love her everyday and she is aware of the problem she has and the effect it is having on the rest of the family. Something is stopping her from getting the professional help she needs, god knows we have tried to set this up for her.We are a very close family and support each other completely. I think she is scared, its all shes known for such a long time now, stems back to an abusive relationship a long time ago. I wish i could take it all away and watch her live a happy life...she is killing herself. I dont know where esle to turn.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome NT...

pehaps a "intervention"

if its a first time intervention, it just may take hold...

do some research on it...

good wishes NT

zip
Old 01-23-2009, 04:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

il try anything zip. We cant lose her thanx
Old 01-23-2009, 04:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

your wecome NT
Old 01-23-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~miss nikky~

suppoert her to a 12step meeting

attend support meetings yourself for families of addicts
nar anon/ al anon

wish you all the best
personally i found interventions just gave me more reason to hate deeper
the decision must be ones own not forced upon them
Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resident

You are in the right place but perhaps the section on Friends and Families of Alcoholics would be more of what you are looking for. In that section there are a lot of people that are trying to help a loved one. Feel free to post anywhere though as we are all here to help each other.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The idea of an intervention may not be unreasonable. Sounds like you have done everything you can. Perhaps it's left up to her and to providence. She is lucky she has someone who cares so much about her. That, in itself, is hopeful.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanx everyone...I managed to get her to agree to AA earlier in the yr, she managed about 3 meetings which was great, i was proud of her for giving it a go. Unfortunatly it didnt last. She couldnt speak up because of her shyness and i dare say her not willing to admit things. key workers came next and again the first few weeks were great. Good intentions at the start but somehow gets lost along the way. Im not gonna give up even if she has given up on herself.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Welcome to our recovery community, NTurn.
I am glad you've found us
As Fubar suggested, we have a Friends and Family of Alcoholics Forum when you can find lots of support and information.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
cmc

Welcome to SR!
Here's the link to our FFA forum, where you will find plenty of folks who understand what you are facing with your sister. It's nice to meet you.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information