Notices

I am scared!!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am scared!!

Its mid febuary that I go into residential and because Ive never being anywhere away from family Im scared. Ive being told it will be hard and Im worried that I lack the stamina to get through it I mean thats why I drink mostly to hide from people problems and the world. Im just freaking at the thought of staying with strangers for 3 months worried about conflict of personalitys privacy and being lonely missing my children as its quite a way from home so cant see family visitng me.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BKP

these are normal thoughts but think of you for now, a step in the right direction is worth the help for 3 months, others and yourself will agree when you make this step towards the rest of ur life.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

That is tough. I have no real advice on this. Just what worked for me.
My first stint in rehab I was the same way. I gotta see my family. These B***es are F***ing crazy. I had all that attitude. And I did leave.
I relapsed not too long after that. I didnt even give a chance. I already had my ideas of how it was going to be. And none of it was good.
Second time was about 9 mos later. In a different place. In all honesty.
I just gave in. Accepted that I am going to go through with it no matter what. I kept my mind focused on what good was going to come out of this experience. I misse dmy family. But I brought pics and taped them next to my bed. I brought a few comforts from home. Snacks. My fav blanket. I just did everything in my power to keep calm and stay focused on accdeptance of my situation.
I was soaking up all I could. And as for conflictts of personality. And I do this even now in everyday living. Stay out of the drama. Keep to myself when it comes to gossip, drama, talking ****. I was not there for anyoje but me. And I would be damned if I let anyone invade my efforts with petty BS.
So I just stayed out of all the social stupidity.
I still do that. Ok..I try. And I do for the most oart. I do voice my mind if I feel like I need to. And thats only when I feel it is something that is directly affecting me.
Be selfish with your recovery. Dont let all that nonsense even bother you. I know it hard.
Good luck.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Ahh, your disease is working on you already!

I have been in treatment more times than I can count, (even if I take my shoes off when I'm counting! lol) Sure, it's gonna be hard being away from your kids and family, but the bottom line is, if you keep on drinking, then it's very likely that sooner or later, these people will want nothing to do with you. Sorry to be so blunt but it's the truth.

In every treatment program I went into, most people got to be very close. You will be among people who have the same problems as you do and that will create a bond quickly. I imagine that a good amount of the others are parents as well, so you won't be the only one missing your kids. I know us Moms (and Dads) love to show pictures and tell stories of our kids so you're not going to be alone.

I'm sure you probably won't understand this, but I think it works better when someone doesn't have the distractions of the outside world when working on such a serious issue as saving your life. I was married throughout most of my times in rehab and I defocused on my husband and son coming to visit that it took my mind off of what I needed to be working on.

You are being offered something that many others would give anything for, an opportunity to go into a treatment program. I hope you take advantage of this, go and stay as long as the counselors recommend. This disease wants nothing more than to break up another family, cause more kids to lose their Mom and the bottom line, cost you your life.

The end result, Sobriety, is something that I cannot find words to describe. To be free from that obsession and all of the consequences is a Blessing that is beyond words.

You will be fine.

God Bless,
Judy

Old 01-21-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Angie,

Just take a few deep breaths now and then to relieve the stress. Close your eyes and visualize yourself on the other side of this. The three months will go quickly and you'll come out of it feeling so good and clean. I understand that you are scared. If they have internet access there then log in on SR and all of us will be here to be with you.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Hiding from problems, yes, I can relate. The more problems I face, the less problems I seem to have.

I am behind you 100% on this. Please keep posting.. I would like to know how you are doing.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Angie I dunno anything about rehab, but I know you deserve a better life, and I know you want to get better, and this is the way to do that.

We're all scared when we take the big step to leave our old drinking life behind, but it's so so worth it, Ang. Believe me.

We'll be with you every step of the way.
hugs
D
Old 01-21-2009, 11:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Angie,

This is an opportunity in your life for you, a healthy you! Take advantage of all it will have to offer as it can be an amazing experience! Your family will write and support you through this. Your children will have a C/S momma when you come out!!! You'll have tools that you didn't know exists to be able to help you through sobriety. There are nothing but positives you can take away with you if you just give yourself to this phenomenal opportunity!

I went through rehab 3 times while my kids were growing up (I'm a single parent). I couldn't even focus on recovery the first time because I was not there essentially. I was focusing on my kids, my home.... everything but why I was there and just being there with a willing and open heart.

I understand your feelings! I really do. It is scary... no doubt. But face your fears and walk through the door.... you'll be amazed at what's on the other side when you do! We are all here supporting you 100% through this..... before and after. I'll be praying that God gives you His peace over the next month!

Take good care, friend! :praying
Old 01-22-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Angie,

This is an opportinity. Try to keep an open mind. You may meet some wonderful people while you are there.

You are doing this so you stay healthy in the long-term.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Angie,
I do have an exercise for you when you feel lonely. Promise you will follow it Step by step:
1. put your left hand on your right shoulder
2. put your right hand on your left shoulder
3. Squeeze

A hug from yourself (and me!!). Good luck and keep your chin up!

Listen to serentiyqueen and nikishine. They pretty much said it all. This opportunity for you is a gift. Take it and don't worry about your family just for now. You need this and they need you to do it.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i'd imagine you'll meet a lot of supportive folks at your rehab, angie. i know we all did when my daughter went. stay strong. hugs, k
Old 01-22-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Angie, of course you're apprehensive, but isn't the life you've led up until now been scarier than anything that could happen in residential? I can relate, because I'm a very shy, self-conscious person, and when I went into rehab years ago I did as Chiy said - looked for the good and valuable things I could take away from the experience. It didn't work, only because I wasn't ready to accept what I learned. What you've done up until now hasn't worked for you. This might be the answer you've been needing, & you'll probably find many there who are just as scared. I'll be thinking of you the whole time.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thankyou all I went to my womans group last night which sadly is ending because theres not enough people going . I lovely lady who dosent mince words said "oh for g** sakes!! dont worry about silly things your going there for you! and to get better!!!!!" I dont know if there is internet access I doubt it but will let you know when I do go in which by the looks of it is mid Feb.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Isaac

Best I can say

Going to residential treatment is sometimes the best thing that can happen to you. Most of the time, rehab makes it easier to work on you and stay sober. Some personalities you won't like, but so is life. Residential is made so that you have to work on the things you try to hide by using or drinking, that how we addicts used to cope in our addiction. It's the unknown that you are afraid of, the idea of change, the idea of sobriety. These are normal things. Instead of worrying about those things, just focus on walk through the door, the rest will come on its own. Focus on the here and now, the positive things you have today, worry about rehab later. Let go, let god. The going to rehab part is out of your control, so just let it go.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
We're all scared when we take the big step to leave our old drinking life behind, but it's so so worth it, Ang. Believe me.
Couldn't have said it better! This is a wonderful opportunity for you Ang, please take this step and you'll be on your way to a better life before you know it.

I remember being scared in early sobriety just to leave my house to go to AA meetings, I was afraid I'd come back to an empty home and my children gone. That was almost 4 years ago, and every day I still get to hold them close and think about the love we share. Recovery has blessed us with so much, I never thought life would be this good when I was taking those early steps.

We'll be here waiting to hear from you Ang, don't forget that we love you very much.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel a little better today Ang
:ghug3

D
Old 01-22-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Angie..

My first rehab...i worked so hard, and had to leave when my insurance ran out

at 17 days.

The second? 10 days. I cried..I didn't want to leave. I was with a shaky alcoholic

partner..the perfect set up for another relapse.. it did happen.

I believe a long term in-patient stay would been the catalyst ..looking back, that

may have changed things for me then. We can never know for sure, however.

But rehab, in my opinion, based on experience, is a very very good thing!

You will be separated from alcohol.

You will rest. Don't worry about stamina. Your health will return...

Fear? This is normal!

All I can say to you about the fear is..I was terrified to go, and cried because I

had to leave!

Hugs, and more hugs.

Sher
Old 01-22-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Just remember that you are NOT going there to impress anyone. Be in a popularity contest. Or a beauty pageant. You are going for you and to get better. To learn how to live without using.
It IS ALL ABOUT YOU!
Do be open and share and support one another. But make the most out of what they are teaching you there. 3 mos compared to however long you have been using is nothing. And the rest of your life living sober and healthy. Not only for yourself. But for your family. 3 mos is a small price to pay for all that will come out of it.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

thankyou all it means so much to me :ghug2