Notices

Third try for sobriety-33 years of drinking

Old 01-19-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Third try for sobriety-33 years of drinking

Hi! I am 48 and stopped drinking,(hopefully for good this time) 22 days ago. I know it is one day at a time, but today was almost impossible to get through.
I spent a great deal of the day sleeping,(on purpose) and getting up to read this website from time to time. I have never posted before until now although I guess I joined this website in Dec of 2006! ( I don't remember doing that ),
but i had used the same name that popped into my head so there i was. Just saying thanks for all of you who help so many people by giving advice and for just being there to listen. I thought it best to post and get myself out there.
Stats: 1998 stopped drinking for 4 months and relapsed. Stopped again in Nov of 2000 and went 1.5 years. Relapsed and drank ever since. This past year and last though the drinking began to affect my child,15 and my work,life and I
ended up at the hospital twice. They let me out early though, only 4 days both times. One was detox, the other was an overdose of trazedone while
under the influence. So as you can see, things progressed to trouble.
Hopefully, I will smarten up and straighten up my life. Thankyou!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi there bosox! SR has helped this veteran drinker get sober by being a place I can be myself - a place where everyone's been there & understands. No one among my family or friends has an alcohol problem, so I was totally alone with it. I too had relationship and work issues, 3 DUI's, financial & health problems. I felt I was going to die if I continued, was afraid to fall asleep for fear I'd have a heart attack or stroke during the night. I was drinking 24/7 in the end, because no amount was ever enough to anesthetize me. It was so hard the first few months, but it got much better. I was resentful & bitter in the beginning & very sorry for myself. That has been replaced with gratitude, hope, and even a bit of joy at times. I know I'm still a work in progress. It's wonderful you've had 22 sober days. Those first few days are killers, & you've made it through. Please stay with us and let us know how you're doing. Welcome to your new life.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Glad you are here and good luck. I drank for far too many years myself and am also trying to straighten out.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

What were you doing that, helped you get a year an a half in??
Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you hevyn...i am alone with my alcoholism too, although I did go to my first AA meeting in a long time last saturday. It was a Huge turnout,an 'open meeting' but at least I sat there and tried to take it all in again although in all honesty I felt invisible.
I will let you know how it goes
Old 01-19-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My child was so young (age 4), and I remember wanting to be sober for her so that she wouldn't know me as a drunk. So I made it a year and a half, a seemingly long time compared to 22 days but not long enough. She is 15 now and is heartsick over my alcoholic drinking.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

cap2000(shortened it sorry) but to answer you on how i did the year and a half, one was my daughter like i said. Actually at that time it was my second attempt and she was 7 years old and I knew I MUST STOP or she would know me as drunk messed up mother, and the other reason i think i lasted so long was that I was going to meetings.
Unfortunately, I truly didn't like my sponsor( felt that she was crazy )...long story, but
the meetings helped. So I'm back at 'em.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BKP

I like the sox and love rabbits so we have something in common, oh and we both liked to drink. Anyway the best thing to deal with is the day to day theory, second by second at times is a more logical approach. F**** this drinking thing and overcome with hope. I try and you try. We can all do this.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We quit drinking for ourselves

But, every one that loves us reaps the benefits of our sobriety

We become better spouses, parents, sons and daughters, better parents and employees

mostly, we get spiritually fit that's the best blessing of all
Old 01-19-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BKP View Post
I like the sox and love rabbits so we have something in common, oh and we both liked to drink. Anyway the best thing to deal with is the day to day theory, second by second at times is a more logical approach. F**** this drinking thing and overcome with hope. I try and you try. We can all do this.
From NY and you like the Sox? So cool...hee, but yes we MUST tell the drink,(in my case) Chardonnay to F*** off and die. ( sorry people if i offended anyone)- it's day to day for sure. And yes, I have three bunnys. Cookie, honey bunny and Bear. It's nice to think of them for a sec and not how nice a cold glass of wine would taste right now. ( a cold POISONOUS ) glass of wine that is.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome! We're about the same age...drank about the same amount of time. I'm sober 7 months thanks to SR. There is a LOT of help in here. Hang around....post and read.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Glad you are here and good luck. I drank for far too many years myself and am also trying to straighten out.
Well, we both know we can get help here on this board. Sometimes I feel badly about drinking for SO LONG and knowing I should have done this decades ago. I remember my father finding me ( Naked) in the bathtub passed out at the age of 20. Hello? That should have been a warning....
I do get envious of those that are sober so young, sorry but its true and I know I shouldn't think that way. We have to overcome and experience life the way it goes, the way it comes etc etc. So how long did you drink for?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

there's a lot of wasted days, I'd love a do over on
Old 01-19-2009, 08:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
BKP

Bunny,
My mom is a heavy drinker and i do not get along with her at all and as a teenager worked for my uncle who owned a marina-boat shop outside of Boston I grew up in upstate new york near the border of Vermont so i always followed the sox. Yes, wine is good but people like us don't drink glasses we drink bottles so it is bad. Too much of a good thing will kill you we know this.:ghug2
Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Glad you found us (again)

There is so much support here. I found SR when I had a few years in Recovery and I have to say, there is a wonderful group of people here who speak from their hearts freely and truly care.

I'm a Recovering alcoholic and addict who used for 32 years before I finally got it! I had been in and out of treatment since I was 18 and just couldn't figure out why I couldn't maintain any long term Sobriety. I wanted to still use but not have any of the consequences. And plus I wasn't completely honest with anyone else, especially myself. I had to be willing to go to any lengths in order to stay clean and sober.

My son was 16 when I got into Recovery and believe me, he'd seen it all with me. I had so much guilt and shame for the hell I put my whole family through but most of all my child. He moved in with his dad several years earlier because he couldn't watch me slowly killing myself any longer. He had so many resentments towards me, never really knew what it was like to have a Mom who didn't have to be high to go to any of his sporting events or be drunk to sit and watch tv with him at night. It took time, but after I had a few months in Recovery, things began to change between us. We now have a wonderful relationship. No, he won't be able to forget some of the things I had done, but he has forgiven me.

Be proud of yourself, I know it's hard, but you can do this, you're off to a wonderful start!

God Bless & Keep it Simple,
Judy
Old 01-19-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BKP View Post
Bunny,
My mom is a heavy drinker and i do not get along with her at all and as a teenager worked for my uncle who owned a marina-boat shop outside of Boston I grew up in upstate new york near the border of Vermont so i always followed the sox. Yes, wine is good but people like us don't drink glasses we drink bottles so it is bad. Too much of a good thing will kill you we know this.:ghug2
Yeah, the last time I remember falling asleep in the shower( I seemed to do alot of that), just two months ago I'd say... and it was 2 bottles of chardonnay that night. I couldn't just stick with the one. no no no!!! My daughter told my husband i was taking an extra long shower which is unusual for me, he came in and dragged my sorry,pathetic butt out....very shameful and embarrassing. Won't your mother ever stop?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Serenity Queen- you are an inspiration to me as you have recovered as well as rekindled a wonderful relationship with your son. I know my daughter has anger and resentment built up inside her although on the outside she shows me tons of love still. She is a good kid. She has autoimmune hepatitis since the age of 2.5 so she knows she can NEVER drink or it will do her already compromised liver in. So because of her liver disease, and my alcoholism,etc she has been acutely aware of the danger her mother is in and therefore how it all affects her as well. I have to stay sober this time or it will just kill her spirit.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Bosox, I commend you for the 22 days so far. You are an inspiration to me, as this is day one (again) for me. Thanks for being here.

PS. I LOVE THE YANKEES!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes, 22 days is quite impressive, I must say. Good on you and keep up with the good work!