Notices

What is the stupidest thing you did when you were drunk?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is the stupidest thing you did when you were drunk?

This is definately the stupidest thing I ever did while drunk.

One time when I was drunk I could have fallen (not jumped) from a ten story building. This one was crazy folks. I worked at this building as a janitor in the evening. I was only 18 or 19 years old. I was drinking before work and of course got drunk. I worked on the top floor of this building and decided to go up to the roof to check out the view. The edge of the building had these things like old castles did. You know where there is a horizontal section that runs maybe three feet and then is notched out and then there is another three feet of horizontal run. Kind of like this: __[----]____[-----]_____. Well I decided that it would be something special if I jumped from one of the upper horizontal sections to the next. So I did. I jumped from one to the next about 4 or 5 times. Then I jumped down and went back in the building to do some vacuuming. I obviously didn't fall because if I did, well......you know.

I have never been comfortable enough to tell that story to anyone. You are the first ones to hear about it. For some reason I feel o.k. telling you people. I consider telling you guys and gals about it as part of my recovery. My people.

The next time you see a ten story building, think of the stupid thing I did, and more importantly, think of what alcohol makes us do when we drink the vile poison that it is.

So if you are comfortable sharing the "stupidest thing you did while drunk," then please do. It may help you with your recovery, too.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

sounds like you had an angel on your teeter toter that day, kenl..

one thing i have learned about booze - it sure does make some pretty smart people do some pretty stupid things.

Last edited by parentrecovers; 01-18-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Thanks for sharing Ken. Nobody here will judge us for what we did. Jumping from building to building like that is something that I have done sober.

By far the worst thing I have done drunk is drove. By doing this I not only risked my life but those of everyone else on the road. I finally, after of hundreds of times got a DUI and although I never quit drinking I never drove with even one drink in me since that time.

So, if anybody does falter please do not drink and drive.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's a tendency to...

come up with a funny story here....these are some of the things I did...drove drunk with my kids in the car...bought drugs from dangerous people while holding my infant daughter....hung out in ghettos...went to work drunk ( subsequently was fired from a 20 year job)...cut myself with knives..."played" with a shotgun....drove in a blackout...mixed alcohol and opiates....had unprotected sex with high risk individuals....tried to escape from psychiatric custody...and on and on and on.............
Old 01-18-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi ken......Alot of the stuff will remain with the priest and my step 4+5.

Sometimes it hard to imagine how we survived right?..

Ive stood on the outside of balconys in spain......i guess 15 floors up and blind drunk...Im a voilent drunk so ive also threatened to throw people off them and meant it...

More importantly....early recovery without a program and dry only...ive chased someone through the streets in my truck trying to run them over for stealing a tv from me.....sober.

Im not the same person today.........but its heathly to remember.....thanks for that.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Hi Ken! I can't bring myself to mention some of the worst things I've done yet but one time I had been drinking all night in the back of a van with my sister and some friends heading to Cooks forest in PA. We couldn't find the bridge we needed and kept going back and coming to the same place, anyhow, I got extremely agitated in my drunkeness and jumped out of the side door of the van while it was moving...An angel must have been watching over me because I hit the grass vs. concrete and the early morning dew on the grass allowed me to slide across it instead of tumbling and breaking my neck. I got pretty banged up in spite of it though, black eye along with hurt pride because I ruined the "party" acting dumb. Didn't make me stop drinking though but ya know... I'm here now, glad you are too :ghug
Old 01-18-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

I would not know where to begin!! Between stupid and insane things I did there's too many to count! Maybe when my mind clears (only on day 3) I'll be able to draw on one of those things.

Oh, I know......... the stupidist thing I've done is pick up that 1st drink again when I know I'm an alkie!

:wtf2
Old 01-18-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

drinking that second drink really sticks out
Old 01-18-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Driving while drunk is my stupidest thing. I'm so grateful I never hurt anyone.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks folks. You know, some of you mentioned driving drunk, which I have done many, many times. I want to thank you for reminding me of how serious that is. I could have killed my children as well as other people. I feel kind of stupid not mentioning that in the first place. I feel really selfish right now.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

About 11 years ago, I got drunk at a club, and was the one driving 2 of my other friends. On the way home, I went over into the oncoming lane, and swerved back at the last minute after seeing a car (a cop, no less), coming in the opposite direction. To this day, I wonder why he didn't pull me over, as he just kept going. But I sure deserved to be pulled over, and my friends and other people on the road deserved it too.

Driving drunk is a really selfish thing to do, and people do it all the time. Endangering our own lives and the lives of others for the sake of "having a good time".
Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

The stupidest thing I ever did drunk?

Drive.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Drove drunk, sideswiped an SUV, they followed me until DPS pulled me over and took me to jail. Hey, maybe even more stupid, continued to drink for 5 more years. I'll think of something stupid and funny later.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Drive and shoot a shotgun (not at the same time )
Old 01-18-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The dumbest thing I've done while drunk was to keep drinking and I did it everytime!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I only wish I could remember. Meaning, I got so drunk in the end that I would blackout all the time. Not sure what is worse, doing stupid things or blacking out and not remembering them.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

The stupidest thing I did was to put the bottle to my lips in the first place and then keep on doing it long after the proof was there that I was being a total idiot...
Old 01-18-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

the most serious stupid thing was drive totally out of my mind drunk hundreds of times

the other stupid thing I did happened back in the 1970`s in North Myrtle Beach,SC
I got drunk as a skunk and took my clothes off in public and ran down the road....maybe 5 or 6 times
Old 01-18-2009, 08:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
BKP

Yah !!!making people feel on edge, jumping out of moving cars, throwing things at people on the street, kicking and breaking signs, screaming at the top of my lungs, throwing things, fist fighting my roomates, friends, realitives $ random people, saying i was going to jump off a bridge, hanging off roof tops. You name it. All stupid antics.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

There was nothing more 'stupid-er' than other stupid things I did while drunk. If I get drunk, I'm going to do something stupid, period.