Notices

Alprazolam (Xanax) - Getting Off

Old 01-06-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alprazolam (Xanax) - Getting Off

Hello All,

I am currently trying to get off my addiction of alprazolam. I was given a very large prescription from my GP when I tried to quit drinking alcohol and I ended up taking these in excess (in upwards of 10mg - 14mg a day). Most days I took no less than 6mg for a period of at least 6 months. Last Tuesday I lowered my dose to 2mg and yesterday down to 1mg. I also quit taking my pain killer (tramadol 400mg daily) and began lowering my lexapro from 30mg to my current 10mg........ It has been hell. Sweeting, nightmares, insomina, shaking, you name it. I am also on topamax which I am contining to take for its anti-convulsant properties (100 mg daily, but I should be taking 150mg daily but it makes me really stupid) but I would wish to stop at some point.

What I wanted to ask is should I seek help, this is still really difficult, my wife is controlling the pills but I am worried about starting to drink again. The actual sick part is done I think, but my anxiety is through the roof, but I do not wish to use the alprazolam it is not for me. Once I am clear of it I do not wish to have it in my house, it has already done enough damage as is.

Thanks for your input!
Old 01-06-2009, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

That alprazolam is a high dose to be taking daily I think.
I am no Dr and we are not allowed to give medical advice. But it would be safest to consult with a physician.
Withdrawls can me very dangerous sometimes.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Does your doctor know that you're lowering your dose of Lexapro?

This can be really serious stuff, and yes, people very often need help. Please do not be afraid to seek medical assistance.

Best wishes.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

IMHO - (not advice)

You are going off the xanax awfully fast.

Anxiety is going to be worse if you are also coming off the lexapro at the same time

Does your wife want this responsibility? What if things go bad?

Do this with a doctor.

Just my opinion...
Old 01-06-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

dude-
do it with a doctor. i have experience with benzo's like xanax, not to mention everything else on the planet- and they are not something to screw with (ie reducing dosage on your own- VERY DANGEROUS)- much less ssri's like lexapro, etc. please do- it isnt something to improvise. hang man- i am working hard to get my act together also. the dr can help reduce the anxiety without driving you too nuts.
best to you-
D
Old 01-06-2009, 08:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm no Doc either, but from what I have seen before and have learned from others, benzodiazepines have the potential for seizure and death by abrupt cessation (don't know what it would take for you). Add the fact you are decreasing your other meds is nothing to attempt without professional help. You are wanting to quit and better your life, don't something without professional help that could permanently harm or kill you. Kinda defeats the purpose!! Please! Don't fool around with this...You have everything to gain or everything to lose!!! GET HELP!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I can see wanting off the zanax even the tramadol but why the other meds? and to do it all at once isn't a smart thing to do unless the doc tells you to do it. With the help of a doc I bet you wouldn't have these withdrawal symptoms.

please seek help
Old 01-07-2009, 05:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
Does your doctor know that you're lowering your dose of Lexapro?

This can be really serious stuff, and yes, people very often need help. Please do not be afraid to seek medical assistance.

Best wishes.
I agree, See a doctor, NOW.

(The Lexapro is not addictive, it doesn't get you high, and it can assist with tapering off of benzo's. It looks as though you are viewing all medications as 'bad'.)
Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I AM AN EX-NURSE AND RECOVERING ALKY/ADDICT MYSELF??? PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS!!! YOU ARE FLIRTING WITH DANGER FRIEND!!! YOU NEED TO BE IN TRAETMENT AND SUPERVISED EVERY 2-4 HOURS FOR BP CHECKS,PULSEOX,HEART-RATE.AND MAYBE EVEN AN EEG OR EKG!!! THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS.... YOU NEED TO MONITERED AND GIVEN SOME ANTI-CONVULSANTS WITH LOTS OF COMFORT MEDS THAT ONLY A TREATMENT FACILITY CAN OFFER? ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO (THE 1ST TIME I WAS SOBER) I WAS COMING OFF ALITTLE MORE OF A DOSE OF BENZO'S THAN YOU ARE AND LET ME TELL YOU THIS!!!! THIS IS NOT TO SCARE YOU????? IF YOU TAKE A SEIZURE AND NO ONE WITH MEDICAL EXPERIENCE IS THERE YOU CAN DIE!!! CUT AND DRY!!! THIS IS VERY SERIOUS....
ALSO AS YOU WILL FIND OUT IN TREATMENT XANAX ADDICTION IN US RIGHT NOW IS AN EPIDEMIC!!!!! IT TAKES CLOSE TO A YEAR TO GET YOUR SLEEP BACK ALONE????
tHIS IS VERY SERIOUS STUFF!!! IT TOOK ME ALMOST 18 MONTHS BEFORE MY BRAIN RECEPTORS GOT BACK TO NEAR NORMAL AND I TILL HAVE SLEEP ISSUES YEARS LATER!!! DON'T BE KNOW-IT-ALL??? MAKE A CALL AND CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY BEFORE YOU MAKE YOUR WIFE A WIDOW......... good luck in your journey!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Im an ex Nurse and saw this post about that Guy trying to Kick Benzo's On his Own??? I'm New to this forum? So I really don't Know How I can Get their attention? But I lost an A.A. Buddie Last year Due to doing It On His Own??? He took a Grandmall and died Before they Found Him... It's nice to be part of this???
JIMMY JAM :wtf2
Old 01-07-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Call you doctor!

My mother just went through this mess of getting off Zanex. Her doctor prescribed it when she stopped drinking. It is highly addictive and requires doctor supervision to get off of it. Zanex should be outlawed!!! Please call today and keep us posted!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry for not getting back to you, but I am still here, I am still only taking 1mg of xanax and 10mg of lexapro and no tramadol but I am not sure, I think I feel better but I am not sure. My wife wants to help me get off because I want to get off. I gave her all the bottles to anything I might find I will take too much of and she has locked them up in a bedroom that has a key that I do not have. I have been checking my own blood pressure as I have high blood pressure myself and taking two blood pressure meds already for it. I am young and don't want this to destroy my life, I am only 24 years old, but I have already bounced from addiction to addiction during my short lifetime and figured this prescription addiction was going to be the one that was going to kill me.

I am not even sure if my insurance would cover anything and I would not even know how to ask, to be honest there is not many facilities were I am located so I would more than likely would have to travel.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Please call the nurse at least!

Maybe you could call the nurse of the doctor that originally prescribed the Xanax. Tell her/him the situation, that you want to wean off these meds. They will give you a logical plan. I know they would not recommend decreasing Xanax and Lexapro at the same time. Lexapro is hard enough to wean off of....please don't do both at the same time!!!! :praying
Old 01-11-2009, 05:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have now been to two different doctors and neither of the two of them are concerned with me removing myself from the xanax as quickly as I did. The last doctor I saw wanted me to go back up to 30mg of lexapro because he had me take a quiz and according to his quiz I am either severely depressed or anxious. I answered honestly but some of how I feel is from stopping the xanax so I don't know, I guess I am just staying at the 10mg of lexapro for the time being.

They did a complete physical and said I am healthy and sent me on my way so I am still not sure what to do, I am no longer feeling withdrawal symptoms...........However, the urge to drink is greater than ever and I drank to heavy before I started the xanax, I would go through 3 fifths of hard liquor at least in one week and I don't want to start that again, I haven't had anything to drink since July. Any suggestions?

Starting the xanax again isn't an option to me, but ever since I have been 16, I have had a desire to get intoxicated that I can't control and it gets in the way of my life. I have gone everywhere from Marijuana to Crystal Meth to Pain Killers to lots of alcohol when I needed a real job, and finally to these xanax.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kevin,

I'm glad you're doing well!

I think what you are finding is that the use of xanax was a symptom. Now it's gone, your body is looking for other ways to manage, and you mention alcohol, marijuana, etc. Stopping xanax or alcohol or whatever substance is the first step. That's when the hard work begins of looking at yourself and your life. You've been using substances to numb your feelings and now you need to deal with those feelings, so you can begin to recover.