Notices

Unemployment - How to cope

Old 01-02-2009, 03:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unemployment - How to cope

I'm not really sure where this thread should go so I'll just put it here.

I have not had a job for over three years and I've been on Disability (for anxiety) for the last two. If you're on Disability you know that this isn't anything to get by. I'm starting to think of it as a crutch and I want to get off it soon.
The problem with getting a job is that I:

a.) Have a very spotty work history with nothing lasting longer than six months and don't know how to explain it.

b.) Tend to have alot of anxiety at jobs, a bad attitude and trouble getting there on time.

c.) Have a criminal record from charges ten years ago that are not pretty.
(one of my goals this year is to have my record expunged, once I can afford it and am mentally stable enough to navigate the complicated process without breaking down)

And in the past I have really sabotaged my work-life by drinking.

I Keep telling myself that I'm really not in the position to have a job right now, but it's been three years and I'm tired of being broke and having nothing to do during the day and I feel time is running out. I would go to school, but I have the same feelings for that as well; Panic attacks, poor performance by drinking and insomnia. I do have a little hope though; I start seeing a counselor on the 7th who also deals with vocational issues like these.

I wonder if there's anyone out there who have gone through this before and what they did to get out of it. Thanks everyone!

LD

:praying
Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LaDi
And in the past I have really sabotaged my work-life by drinking.
keep the drink out, and the work-life may get hugely better

we all have our own answers inside...

its with truth, they come out...

a good recovery program, to help us learn to live life is a great idea...

ohoh, that anxiety could be alcohol related...

as always recomended...

see a good Doc on it...

good wishes Ladi
Old 01-02-2009, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My personal experience has been that Panic attacks have become (almost) a thing of the past since I quit drinking.
May your new counsellor find the key to opening new doors for you. You certainly sound to me like you are looking towards positive change in your life.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I'm on disability also and in my state they have a program called massrehab. I found it by going to my state government site. they retrain you for jobs and help you find one or you can go to college and they pay for it. I'm working with my tdoc on my anxiety so that I can do this. I also take meds for anxiety it helps.

I hope you can find a program like this in your state
Old 01-02-2009, 04:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am experiencing what you are, although in my case I am not receiving any kind of compensation for unemployment. I took a job impulsively a couple of months ago that I hadn't really considered seriously and hated it from day one. It was a lot of pressure and I was in the very early stages of my sobriety and I ended up having a relapse. I can't blame the relapse on the job....

but essentially I was still "thinking" like an alcoholic: taking a "loser" job I knew I wouldn't like, using the job to beat myself up confidence-wise, etc, etc. And, very much in line with alcoholic thinking: I planned to fail.

I learned a lot from that and will do almost everything differently when I start to look for work again now that the holiday season is over.
I haven't always had problems with jobs/emplyment.

If you are nervous about wading out into the employment market while in the early stages of sobriety, why not take a volunteer job? I have been working at a volunteer job for 5 years now and will continue to do so. I feel very confident there and enjoy the job hugely. Volunteer work is always seen as a plus when looking for a job, also.